1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO it yourself high rib! My MX5 transformation!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I thought I'd share my latest mucking around with my gun with you guys.

A couple months ago I was at the gun club when one of the lads showed me his new MX2005 high rib O/U, and I fell in love. He kindly gave me a few shots out of it and I couldn't believe how much more comfortable it felt for me over my MX5 low rib.

Unfortunately when he said it was around $14,000 there was no way I could afford it, so I set about modifying my gun to build one!!

First pic shows how my MX5 used to look when I ordered it years ago. The gun in the pic isn't my gun, but exactly the same.

First thing I did myself was install an adjustable stock mechanism. I have a little experience with timber so I did this myself several years ago.
    The next thing I did was work out what I could do with the barrels. After talking to the Aus Perazzi agent he explained that the shape of the action on the MX5 is quite different to most Perazzis so it would be difficult to buy new barrels.

I decided to add a rib to the top as a more cost effective solution, so once I worked out exactly quick one I wanted I made up a timber version of it and attached that to test before spending the money, as shown in the next pic.

I used this a couple times but found it too sharp on the edge without a spacer block, so I knocked one up temporarily to see if it was ok, as seen in the 3rd pic.

After a few shoots I ordered the Bridgeshoot rib and once it arrived I removed the timber setup I had and installed it. As seen in the 4th pic-

Last but not least was to replace the comb with a higher one so I could delete the spacer block and drop the adjustable legs back down in the stock for a more secure position. It is impossible to match up the straight grained cheap walnut that came on the MX5 so I thought I'd make a feature out of the comb and use a nice piece of birds eye Tasmanian Blackwood. See the 5th and 6th pic.

All up I think it's come up pretty well, now I'm keen to get out to the range and check all the new pieces work as good as the temporary mock ups did.

Thanks for reading!

<imTg src='http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/dannopower/photo-1.jpg'>

photo-1.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

image.jpg

image-7.jpg

photo-2.jpg

image-5.jpg

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Aussie Dan,

Your project looks just fine to me, One of the best things
    connected with the clay target sports is being able to try
    some of this, try some of that.

Give your new set - up a fair trial, don't shoot just a couple
    boxes of shells and say this won't work.

Good Luck, Have fun.

3. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks hwy, I'm looking forward to testing her out!

Not as pretty as the MX2005 but at less than a third it's cost, it will do me!

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!! You missed the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!

That rib set-up would be great if it were just a "SHORT RIB"

5. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

The short version!

Tomas

[​IMG]

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I havew to agree with MIA about the short rib. One of the last projects Mike Greenblatt (Perazzi Bigbore) did was to make me a pair of short ribs for my MX3 Specials. He did an incredible job and they work even better than they look. For anybody thinking about trying one on their existing gun just buy a piece of balsa wood, cut to length, blacken it with a marker and tape it to the barrel with electrical tape. What we found was the add-on rib created a more "heads up" posture and allowed the shooter to look right through the middle of the lenses as opposed to the upper portion. It's all about vision.

7. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Cheers guys, but I couldn't get my head around the short rib version, and I think this idea is a big enough change for me now, anyway.

8. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Dan--brilliant job and it looks terrific. Let us know how it patterns (POI) and shoots.

9. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

And here's the test, Perazzi number 6 choke at 12 yards, the shell fitted neat through the centre hole!
    Now it all comes down to the nut behind the butt!
    photo-5.jpg

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Great project and it sounds like you have a winner on your hands. Good luck and enjoy the "new" gun.

ss

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Great job I like how it turn out.

Dan Were did you order you rib?
    John

12. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

He said from Bridgeshoot. Link above.

They appear to be Italian and are priced accordingly.

13. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Yes it was a bridge shoot rib, I bought the adjustable 23mm version.

Main reason I went with them was that all the other options had a smooth top rib, where the bridge has a knurled or checkered top rib. It cost me 500 bucks, but looks great and is well made.
    image-1.jpg

14. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Dan, any idea how much weight the rib added to your barrel?

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

@ SPTNCLAYS- exactly 170 grams, or just a fraction over 6 oz for you guys.

The extra wood in the comb balanced it up nice though.

16. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I LOVE the MINI model short rib (see link). Would definitely like to try it on my O/U, but at approx $500, it's a bit too much to try.

17. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Had an overall win at the local club shoot in its first night out!

Feels great to shoot, hopefully feels and shoots just as good in a couple months after the novelty is worn off!!

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

For that kind of Money you can have a custom steel rib made and installed and any POI desired from Moneymaker They even make a adjustable rib that is excellent also but 895.00 if you want that adjustabilty option

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

I thought you blokes used meters insted of yards?

Cheers,

George

20. Mark Lavelle

Mark Lavelle TS Member

Moneymaker recently did an adjustable 3/4" rib on a rat-e-tat barrel for me and the workmanship was unacceptable and a joke ~ the actually rib is almost nice and obvioulsy not made in thier shop (but it was warped from the knurling that was pressed in on the top)~ the install looked like it was a freshman shop class project gone bad ~ i sent more than one email with detail pictures of all my complaints and got NO responce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bridgeshoot rib