1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do it yourself bed liners?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got some down time, so I've decided to pull off that damn bed liner I've got in one of the pickups. I want to put in one of those do it yourself Rhino type liners.

Just wondering if anybody has any brand suggestions. I was at "Auto Zone" today and they had "Rust Oleum", "Hercules" and a couple more brands. Was at Wally World over the weekend and they had some kits too.

Any suggestions on brand or application tips. Thanks, I probably do it tomorrow or the next day.

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

My only suggestion is that I would go to a Rhino vendor and pay them to do it. I can't speak to the 'do it yourself' kinds, but I had a real Rhino put in my 1997 Chevy when I drove it off the lot in 1997, and it still looks brand new.

I don't haul a lot of stuff...rocks, dirt now and then, firewood, typical moving stuff, lumber...general truck stuff, you know? It's NOT a professional work truck, it just gets the normal use a truck gets.

I can't imagine a do-it-yourself job will be any better. Guess it could be cheaper. Could depend on how old / what the truck is worth, too...

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We used the Hercules liner in my cousins pick up about 6 years ago and it still looks like new, was actually easy but time comsumeing to do ... It took 2 of us all day to do it but we did it right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

After 15 years working in a body shop, I suggest that you have it done professionally. For it to work correctly and last, the prep work is very time consuming and is very messy and you will not save that much. Bill

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I have had both and if you want the best go pro. Tom

6. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

I've tried both also, have a pro do it, its worth the price difference

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If I was smart I'ld probably have a pro do it, but I'm bored and I've got the time to do it, so guess I will try it.

It's for an old work truck and I'm not that particular. Just wondering what brand to use. The Rust Oleum brand is cheaper than the Hercules, just wonderd if anybody had an opinion on either.

Probably go with WPT recomend and use the Hercules liner. It is also suppose to be water soluable, which might make it easier to use and clean up after.

Thanks

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I often resemble that remark in my various projects.

Good luck!!

Do let me know how it turns out....I've seen the commercials for the do it yourself stuff, and wondered how it works. Maybe someday I'll get a new truck and I can do it. Or an old truck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.