1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do it or don't do it

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by threedeuces, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Do it or don

I have a Kolar Max T/A unsingle combo with upgraded wood. I am toying with the idea to add a rad 2 to it.I think the gun has a LOP that is to long for me. What is everyone's thought on this. Will it hurt the resale? I just feel I need the LOP adjustment along with the other adjustment that comes with the rad. The gun does not kick so the recoil is not a problem. Lets here what all of your thoughts may be. As always, thanks in advance.

2. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Here in New Zealand, 1oz (or less) shells are mandatory, so recoil is not a factor. I bought a gun that happened to have a PFS on it. I don't think I would buy a gun my PFS wouldn't go onto...the adjustability is phenomenal in a game where a proper fitting gun is paramount...I would 'DO IT'. Please understand that any money you put into your gun does not necessarily increase it's market value. FWIW. KInd regards-Graham.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Kolars come with 14-5/8" LOPs from th efactory. a bit long fo rme. Perhaps for you too. My personal opinion is that any stock over 14-1/4 is mainstream and can be adjusted longer wiht spacers. Adn the value will not be diminished much. If you are going much shorter that that then add a quality device, ie the RAD, Gracoil, bumpbuster, etc. But pop for the adj model and do not get just the non adjuster model. In other words, hav ethe stock cut as little as possilbe, and go for the adj/recoil device model at around $500 installed. And one word of caution

MAKE SURE that the installer maintains the usual look of the monte carlo. DO NOT install a unit a bit high or low because of your preference or the installers preference. If you do that it is wasted money. And destroys the value in the stock.

Btu the first thing I would do if I were you is to advertise here on TS for ashorter stock fo ryour gun.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is your gun. It is a tool intended for you to have fun with. Do anything you want to it that will let you have more fun. It is not a National Treasure that must be preserved for future generations.

Pat Ireland

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I would not do it. I would not buy a Kolar with a RAD or any other recoil device on it. The gun is way to nice to chop up a nice stock like a up grade Kolar wood.
    Go to a gun fitter or Kolar and have the stock fitted to you.
    Or do what I did on my wife Beretta get a PFS. Yes they are ugly but they work and work well. You can adjust it any way you want with the ultimate comb. Cast LOP and recoil. For about $1400 you will a gun that fits you just right.
    Now if you want to sell you gun just put on the wood stock and you are back to day one. Also the PFS sell for all most the cost of a new one. Easy sell. All is need is a grip to be add to another brand gun.
    My wife loves her PFS and I just go one for my Beretta 682 sporting gun. They work.

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have a T/A Max which I ordered from the factory with a PFS. I have a VDT wood comb on it. There are some folks out there that will make you a wooden grip. I was at the Kolar factory a couple of weeks ago and they have come up with a custom part to stiffen the PFS.

If you really prefer the wood stock, I would suggest that you try a used PFS and get the fit you want and then have Jeff Mainland at Kolar duplicate the dimensions of the PFS. They will take a used Kolar wood stock in on trade for a new one. You will be able to sell the used PFS for about the same price you paid for it.

The folks at Kolar bend over back wards to please their customers. Call and talk to them, they will work with you. Jeff is the wood guy at Kolar. Great company, great people. Bill Malcolm

7. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Bill;

Can you provide details on the custom part to stiffen the PFS? Is it exclusively for the Kolar grip or is it usable on any PFS?

LMS

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Do it or don't do it"

Depends.

Some guys shoot a beautiful gun with gorgeous wood they are afraid to cut it to fit and their scores reflect that decision. I think it was Neil Winston that asked one such guy if he was shooting it for resale only? A fitted to you stock is VERY important to success with ANY shotgun, pretty or pretty UGLY!! So, it depends.

Hap

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

The adjust ability!

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Larry,

It is a custom part that they designed. It is somewhat hourglass shaped and goes around the split ring and the recoil absorber. It reduces the amount of flex in the PFS. Jeff told me that he has discussed it with Verne Brown at PFS. It should work on any PFS, unless there are different diameter split rings and recoil absorbers. It is not unique to the Kolar grip. Bill Malcolm

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Thanks for all the input. I done it! Should have it for next weekends shoot. Cant wait to get it dialed in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.