1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I use Gold Medal data for Federal Champion II?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I just got several thousand Federal Challenger hulls. Do I use Gold Medal data for these?

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I thought Challenger was a shotshell company in Canada? If it's the same company the hulls they use are Cheddite. Call your powder company. FGM data sounds right. They also have data for straight walled hulls with a rolled fiber basewad.

Wayne

3. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

These aren't Cheddite. They appear to be one piece hulls.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Why do you think they are Federals? What do they say on the base?
    http://www.munitionschallenger.com/english/our_comp_eng.html
    Mark

5. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I think the reason I think they are Federals is because there's a big stamp in the brass that says " Federal"!

6. Oregunner

OK, why do think they are Challengers? I Googled Federal Challenger shotshells, and there doesn't seem to be any such beast. Mark

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Well you have 3 choices for Federal 2-3/4" hulls. FGM, Federal/with fiber base wad, or Federal Hi-Power with a rolled paper base wad. Try the link above for Challenger info.

Wayne

8. Oregunner

Here is some reloading data for the different Federal hulls. see link above. Mark

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Didn't Federal make a high basewad plastic hull in the late 60s-early 70s? The plastic version of their Champion II, maybe?

Riflegun, could you post some good pics of your haul, including maybe a brightly back-lit one?

If they are low-basewad - doesn't matter if they are one- or two-piece - hulls, yeah, use any FGM data.

If they are a high-basewad, you'll have to use the CB clone of the WAA-RED wad, and any modest-pressure 1-1/8oz load you like, like 19gn of GD or 700X, etc.

Bob

10. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Sorry guys. My bad. They are Champion II plastics not Challengers.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Champion II's tended to raise pressures significantly because the hulls were a bit undersized and the plastic composition very stiff. They required a wad with a narrower base than standard which is now mostly unavailable. I'd advertise here for some of those old wads and I'm sure you'll get a response!!

12. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

What about using a Windjammer wad?

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Splitting down the sides for the above mentioned reason!!

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Gunbuilder, try the link above from a couple of years ago. Like I stated before, call your powder manufacturer, they have data for those hulls.

Wayne

15. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Thanks Wayne. From your thread I'm guessing closer animal to cf AA than a Gold Medal. I put a call in to Alliant.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Are these cases Maroon with Gold writing on them? If they are.

This case was the only case Federal ever made that was tapered and requires the 12s1 tapered wad. Use wads for tapered cases and keep the pressure down and they work well.

Ajax

17. mag410

mag410 Active Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?Threadid=269960&SortBy=DESC&ShowDeleted=No#1093926

Ajax is correct the Federal 12S1 was the wad for the Champion II.

bewmetal was trying to sell a bunch a while back.

See the link above.

You might see if he sold them all.

Michael

18. peavine

peavine TS Member

You need the 12C2 (black base) two piece wad to load these. Or just put them up and look at them once in a while. Jonathan Taylor

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I have the Lyman #2 book that gives the loads for this case. If it is the Maroon Champion 11.

If you'll tell me what powder and primer you're using, I'll try to find a load. All the wads I have found are tapered.

Yes, the 12c2 wad is used also, it came with the bottom parts either Black or Green and it's tapered. It's the brother of the 12c1 that is used for the paper cases.

To answer your original question. No, do not use the data now available for Federal shells. All are a straight wall case. The Champion 11 is really tapered and will raise the pressure significantly---if you can get everything in the case.

Ajax

20. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Ajax you are correct dark cherry red with gold writing, cut one looks like cf AA. Contacted powder Company help desk. He advised use AA data. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.