1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

do I Upgrade or not $$$$$$#

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcenfarms, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcenfarms

tcenfarms TS Member

I have an skb and I am debating to upgrade. I shoot alot. the gun fits but a 'm not scoreing with it.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If you shoot a lot and it fits, you are "not scoring with it" because you have bad shooting techniques, flinching, latent cross eye dominance or a serious lack of aptitude for shooting.

Rather than spend a bunch more money on a new gun to blame, take a seminar from an established instructor like Leo, Harlan or Phil Kiner. They can tell you what your problem(s) may be. Whether you can overcome them is another story.

OTH, if you think you can buy a better score, go right ahead. You will probably be in the majority.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It aint the gun but the person shooting it.

You may think the gun fits but it might not get some lessons and have the coach check the fit. You might think an new gun will fix your problems but you will never be able to buy a better score ... it just aint possible so come to realize that it is you and not the gun so get some lessons and some help from a local qualified instructor.

Now if for some reason you feel the need to sell of the SKB and get an upgraded gun how about some specifics on it and be sure to keep the price super low since you think the gun is a non target crushing hunk of metal. Depending on the specific details I'll give ya $750 for it ... depending on the details.

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

REMEMBER ITS NOT HOW GOOD YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK OUT THERE-RICK ZINO

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

It's the indian not the arrow.

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

Did you pattern the gun and check that along with the relation to point of aim? Depending on the result you may need to alter the gun or your shooting style.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have an older model, parts will be an issue.

If you have a current model, be advised they are quality firearms. These guns need an annual service if shot a lot, as does any firearm.

Like any other firearm, they must fit you.

Take the gun to a pattern board and check the POI at 13 yards with a supported rest as Neil Winston suggests. Often, imported O/U's shoot higher with the top barrel. This is NOT cause to trade the firearm. Do not make a project out of this, or you will aim the firearm on the field.

If the gun does not hit where you want it to, and if you shoot trap, 80% high is a good thing (up to 100% at the back fence), consider an adjustable comb.

Last but not least, go ahead and upgrade. The same advisory being to make sure the POI and fit are right.

If you have not been shooting for long, a class might be a good idea. However, an old head who has been shooting a long time can likely give you tips about your technique. Stopping the gun indicates you might be bead checking, or you might be lifting your head (the head bobbles BEFORE the shot is fired).

An elite shot simply performs basics and fundamentals well and consistently.

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If you have the financial means and it makes you happy, buy a different gun or trade. The economy needs your dollars in circulation.

Seriously though, you should pattern you gun with the loads you shoot most often, it could be the choke constriction, POI, load or you. And make sure that the gun fits you well, whether you keep your SKB and try a used oned out of whatever you want to upgrade to first.

Of course we can all shoot a gun well that we don't own. John

9. spritc

spritc Active Member

If you need to ask, then it is time for a change. Enjoy the journey, I've had many and enjoyed each one.

Steve

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I am kind of with Kolardude.I shoot bad scores with an economical gun that has every adjustment there is.I have had more than 1 state champion watch me shoot and help me fit my gun.I have tried many $1000 to $3000 guns and am inconsistant with them all.I think I just don't have a great aptitude for trapshooting but I love it.I have about 40,000 rounds through my BT100.It was my 1st dedicated trap gun.I just switched to a release and I am smoking targets right now.I am going to shoot about 2000 more with the BT and a release and if the improvemnet is there I am going to buy a nice gun.If the improvement is not there I am going to by a nice gun.#1 my wife encouraged it.And #2 trap is what I like and if I can pay the bills and have a Kreighoff then so be it.I have came full circle on this subject.I would never have started out with a Kolar or Perrazi but now that I have shot enough competitively to know it is what I want to do I am going to buy a high grade gun.Now all I have to do is figure out from where and which one.BUT,do not buy any gun because somebody told you you had to have it to shoot well.Buy it because YOU are committed to the sport and it is what YOU want.There have been many Grands won with M12s and 1100s.That is the 2 cents of a mediocre trapshooter.Good luck with your decision and shooting.

Darr Wilson

PS Shooting Coaches last sentence says it all.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

tcenfarms, I assume when stating the gun fits that you mean it doesn't kick you. But it may not have the correct point of impact for your style and/or may not even shoot straightin the sense of right to left. If its a choke tube version this could be quite likely. If you have the means then get a different piece but remember that there are no magic wands unless by accident you buy and trade long enough that you find the exact match of POI and fit for your style.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

This is actually an easy one! The gun you have doesn't fit. Any gun you get probably won't fit you either. You probably are one of those people who have either a body type or style of shooting that is not easy to fit.

This assumption is based on the assumption that you can see. I will not do a gunfitting or build a stock for anyone who I do not know has a current eye exam and are using a proper prescription for distance shooting.

The only other reason that you are not hitting targets is that you are not looking at the target. PROPERLY!

A good gunfitting should take at least half of a day and involve shooting at both a pattern board and targets. There is no such thing as looking at your gun and checking your gun fit. Anyone who says that they can and are charging you are just taking your money.

If you want to shoot well then start with your vision. Next a gunfitting which includes checking your chokes trigger pulls and balance as well as adjusting point of impact is the next step. the third step is lessons or a coach and finally learning how to practice.

Joe goldberg

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I second Joe Goldberg. Having a gun worked on for you and only you is the way to go. Well worth it. Dave T.

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of the comments. About 7 years ago, I made the commitment, and bought a new K-80 combo. I shot some great scores on singles and doubles, but always struggled on handicap 27. I shot a few 98's here and there, but not like I'd hoped. In Singles and doubles, I think you can make do with a gun that isn't quite right, but long handicap requires balance, fit, and weight that matches your method and style. I probably didn't know what I needed, but felt I could get there with a completely adjustible gun. I actually quit shooting ATA for 4 years while feeling I was not progressing in trap despite being 27 yard. When I came back last year, I decided to re-commit, and bought a used Seitz. My handicap scores were much better in the first year than they were with the K-80 in 4 years, and the K-80 had custom fitted wood. The Seitz has a different feel and weight, and is a top single. It also shoots quite a bit higher than I had my K-80 shooting,( it was maxed out on height adjustment.) Sometimes you don't know what you need till you try it. You can buy an expensive gun and still not get what you need as well. I only shoot about 1,000 handicap targets a year, and don't claim to be a pro, but I've been on the 27 for about 15 years. Anyone want to buy a custom K-80 combo?

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When shooting near the back fence, I prefer a POI of about 100% high. I will set or do whatever to get that and adjust my technique on the 16 yard line.

I prefer a high shooting gun, even for other games such as Skeet and Bunker.

Been there and done that with high grades and custom stocks. It is ironic, that after performing warranty service and repair for Browning, their "X" series of shotguns with fixed stocks fits me as well as any firearm made.

The XS Sporter shoots about 70/30, and a 32" fixed XT shoots 80/20 on the bottom barrel and 90/10 on the top. The Unsingle Combo I recently got shoots about 80/20 on the O/U with both barrels and the Unsingle is set to my desired 100%. The 32" O/U is ponderous for other games, but is ideal for ATA Dubs.

Your K-80 simply might not have been shooting high enough for your style.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many shooters do not know what a good gun fit actually is until they happen to find one that actually does fit them. Joe (gun fitter) gave some good advice above. I suggest you try to work out your problems with the BT-99 first, and then look for another gun if you want one.

Remember, if you mount your gun firmly, look through the front sight and see the target very clearly and the gun does not break the target, it does not fit you. The gun should shoot where you are looking. You should not have to learn to look where the gun shoots.

Pat Ireland

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have been very fortunate as the natural fit of a Remington 870 Trap grade or an 1100 Trap grade works for me. I have shot a variety of break open guns but none of these felt or shot as well as my old 870.

I may someday buy a Model 12 as I have shot borrowed model 12's well, especially at longer yardages. The old 870's and Model 12's just point and swing well for me. Also, the older ones had great barrels. I used to shoot a 1 1/8 oz load but now shoot 1 oz loads for ATA. The lower recoil makes the 870 very pleasant to shoot. For games, I shoot a 1 1/4 oz. pigeon load but the recoil is manageable as you are not shooting a couple of hundred shots at a time.

You seem to feel that an expensive gun will break targets all by itself. As pointed out above, it won't.

Many thousands of trap shooters started out with 870's and Model 12's. You may want to take a step back in history and try one of these classics as it may work for you.

You could be pleasantly surprised.

Ed Ward

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the great hall of famer phil miller had several guns, no two of which, were alike. he would pick one up and look down it and go shoot a straight. some can and some can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.