1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I really need a handicap load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm using 18.3 of Clay Dot ( 1 oz)and find this load doing well between the 16 and 27yd line. And thats with reclaimed shot ( 7 1/2). I can't believe a shot pattern could open up that much different in 11 yds. We might have to 'raise the net'? Afterall, the 16 yrd ln was determined quite a few years ago. Guns and ammo improvements have come a long way since then. Hey, no problem with keeping the 16. I'd just think we should be moving people back faster after they get the hang of things. And the day of the 27 yd limit are due to be lengthened. Jim

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, In my book that is a fast handicap load from the 27. Try 17 grains for a nice load at the 16 yard line. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, you need something in the chamber besides air.

As long as it's an ounce and an eighth...the rest just doesn't matter.

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

In my experiance, you are better off finding a single load that you like and stick to it no matter what the distance is. I use 20.3 grains of solo 1000. 1oz of 7's and 7.5 mixed 50/50, lightening wad, fiocchi primer, all in a top gun hull. this shell will break a target from the time it comes out of the house, til it hits the ground from the 27 yard line. I also use the same shell in long range shoot-offs, just replacing the 7/7.5's with 4's and 5's mixed. I have made confirmed shots and breaks on targets at 105 yards. little felt recoil and it breaks the target, what more do you need? lol. in my eyes more shot does not mean more targets hit. bottom line is find one shell that works and you are comfortable with and stick with it, toss the others out the window. BYG

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

105?!?! Wow I am impressed.

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Break out the rangefinder for those 105 yard shots.....

I didn't know a clay bird could fly that far!

SW

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

BYG is right. One load, all yardage. Dave T.

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I don't know about the veracity of young gun's claims, but I an tell you that clays don't have to fly 100 yards to break them at that distance.

It used to be common practice to throw a side event at Sporting Clays Tournaments called 'long teal' or something to that effect. The most memorable one I shot was at Newcastle R&G and was landing at a measured 125 yards, falling nearly straight down. I watched several guys make breaks in the 110 to 125 yard range.

The trap was placed about 80 yards in front of the shooting station and the clay was being launched at 60+ degrees directly away. Good memories, I lost my shooting buddy last year to cancer, and I can't tell you how many times I had to listen to his "I broke that one" story of that long teal. Wish I could hear it again today.

Just FYI,
    Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.