1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need to clean anyway? Plastic residue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I see a number of threads dicussing cleaning a barrel of plastic. I shoot a XT with about 32 lbs of powder down it so far. I don't do anything more than a mop sprayed with Breakfree after every outing. My barrel LOOKS clean. Am I missing something? Do some barrel/loads not need scrubbing, or can a barrel look clean but still have a plastic build up?

The only buildup I see is in the porting. If those somehow carboned all the way closed, I would not care unless I was trying to sell my gun.

Thanks

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

To me it's hard to believe those guys are getting that much plastic after only a few hundred rounds. I clean my gun after maybe 5000 rounds and there is very little plastic. I only use genuine Federal wads.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

RickN I believe that the last sentence of your post explains it all.

I started using CB wads some years back and very shortly after that noticed a build up in the forcing cone and choke area in the barrel.

I cleaned it all out went back to manufacturer's wads and the problem vanished, simple fix.

Bob Lawless

4. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

You'll be extremely surprised how much fouling comes out after you use stronger solvents. If you use something similar to Shooters Choice to clean your bore, you see it. The first patch will be black. All powder is corrosive.

A mixture of any type of light oil, mineral spirits or similar at 25% to 75% Acetone or Lacquer Thinner will remove the wad residue. Even if your bore looks clean, it is not.

BTW, I see many shooters here on TS that use the stainless steel tornado brushes.
    Stay away from those, they are not a good idea. They will abrade and score the inside of your bore. Phosphor Bronze is the only thing that is needed as far as brushes.

5. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

I agree. It is amazing how much "gunk" can come out of a bore the "looks clean". Proper cleaning is so easy that it is pointless not to do it.

I must be pretty dumb. For years I have heard and read assertions from a lot of shooters that boast about not cleaning guns. Many of these guys (and, it is mostly guys) are shooting guns that cost more than a compact car...and they abuse and neglect them? I just don't understand!

6. ivanhoe

Dingelfutz Just a question. Do you tell people when to wash their car or paint their house? Just like it was your business!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What's the problem?

8. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I actually use nothing but Claybuster wads if I can help it.

My bore sure looks like it has a lot of shine to it. I will try a real cleaning and see what comes out.

Does it hurt my barrel, or do my patterns suffer from lack of cleaning?

BTW, I do clean my pivot points every outing.

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Interesting topic...

I'v always "cleaned" my trap guns after each use. Not a total tear down, but I do push a brass brush through the barrel a dozen times after a shot of spray type oil followed by a a couple passes with a patch on the brass brush. The patch is always BLACK on the first go through, but bairly tainted by the second or third and the barrel appears to be spotless. It's a ritual that I've performed for 50 years because that's what my Dad did.

I've been told that this is a "waste of time" and I know of several very good shooters that own everything from 870s to Ljutics and Perazzis that clean their gun ANNUALLY "whether it needs it or not". Cleaning or not cleaning does not appear to affect performance based on scores.

I shoot 100% factory loads and have not noticed any build up of any kind in my barrels. What am I missing?

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I clean it once a year, just to be on the safe side. HMB

11. ivanhoe

Just for sh**s and grins before you do anything push a heavy brass or copper brush through your barrel. When I say heavy I mean one that is hard to get through the chokes. Then look down the barrel and see if you can see any plastic build up in the barrel.

Bob Lawless

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Guys... Your barrel can be all full of plastic wad build up and look clean as as can be!! The chemical process of the Acetone ( it is one part of the Eds red solvent I us eto clean my guns) get the plastic loose. I have a friend who sells bore cleaner at shoots in the Pacific Northwest and he has had guys all but accuse him of somehow putting plastic in their bores!!

John does free bore cleaning at teh shoots where he sells his bore cleaner and it is plain to see which shooters use a Hoppes, shooters choice ETC ETC type solvent. These are both great for removong powder fouling and residue. neither will remove plastic.

When using Claybuster wads*( about all I ever use) I sometimes have shreds of plastic hanging out the end of my bore. strips that I can pull out from the end of teh barrel.

I don't think plastic fouling hurts anything but I suspect it could encourage rust but then again if it is blocking the bore , how can it rust?

Get a bottle of Acetone at the discount sture and push a few patches that are very wet through your bore after you clean the powder out as you normally clean. Scrub a dozen or 20 strokes with a bronze bore brush and then a clean patch. You will see plastic and lots of it if you have never used a solvent that would lossen it. Jeff

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

SuperXjeff - Two things

"I don't think plastic fouling hurts anything" Then why bother?

"I have a friend who sells bore cleaner at shoots in the Pacific Northwest and he has had guys all but accuse him of somehow putting plastic in their bores!!"

Dunno what your friend sells but I've seen some of that bore cleaner and snake oil. We sprayed it on some sheet metal. It left a thin film of something that could be plastic, or could be mistaken for plastic. Leave a film of that in a bore and it would sure look like "plastic" was coming out when you ran a brush through it.

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Okay, so this thread caused me to go down to the store and buy the ingrediants for Ed's Red. Under $30 for a gallon of the stuff. I shoud be set for life. I ran some patches through the BT-99 that I shoot every week and have previously only cleaned with a shot of Remoil and a bore snake. First patch came out black but after that the patches were clean. Ths gun doesn't have screw in choke tubes, and I didn't seem to get any plastic out of the barrel. I also dumped a bunch of choke tubes in a jar of the stuff to soak, that do have plastic wad buildup visible. We'll see how it works. I previously have used a brass brush chucked in an electric drill to clean tubes and seems to have worked so far. I am not a fanatical cleaner, although I clean my guns with a rag and a bore snake after every time I shoot. I like shooting more than cleaning, but like to start shooting with a clean gun.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Slip 2000 - $14.95 for enough to last a lifetime, smells better, I can use it inside, and I don't have a gallon of toxic waste sitting around for my kids to deal with when they get the house.

I know it will last a lifetime, cause I don't clean the chokes anymore.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I guess the reason people bother is because it concerns them? I know that I don't worry about it. I just happen to use a bore cleaner that removes it. Wen it is melted in place as it is in so many guns, it is nearly invisible if not invisible.

Most people have never seen it and have no idea that it is even in their barrels.
    The first time I cleaned my 870 hunting gun with a bore cleaner that removes plastic fouling it looked like my bore was scored. It took me about 20 minutes to get all the plastic out of it. That gun had fired in excess of 60,000 rounds without ever having a solvent used in it that removed plastic.

As far as the people at the shoots I was talking about. They were surprised that as much plastic came out of their barrels as it does. When you go from not knowing that you have build up to seeing gobs of plastic coming out of your gun it can be startling!

If you check the other thread on trapshooters at this time you will see what it can look like. A person posted a picture of what I described in my earlier post. Gobs of plastic just hanging out the muzzle.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

P.s Are you saying that you have seen or used the bore cleaner that John lynch sells at the trapshoots in the Pacific northwest? Are youe making somewhat of an implication that his product is snake oil? if that is not how you meant that, then no foul. If you are leveling that accusation that you should sign your name instead of a screen name. Jeff

18. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Will acetone harm the bluing?

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

rodbuster - Acetone will not harm the bluing on a gun. It is also a wonderful fingernail polish remover. Please note with great care that I said nothing about skeet after this comment.

Pat Ireland

20. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

Ivanhoe,

I was asking a question. Hey, if you want to neglect your equipment don't let somebody like me stand in your way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.