1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need tighter choke?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mo Bill, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

I am playing around with some 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads...do I need more
    choke for optimum performance? ...if I do how much? Right now I,m
    using .030 for my 11/8 oz loads...singles and hdcp.

Thanks in advance for your input...

Mo Bill

2. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

Pattern with your .30 and if it is not dense enough for your like tighten up to a .40 and go from there

3. BMC

BMC Member

For me, I've come to the conclusion that my 1oz loads are better with a full choke. But that could also be because they are a quick load. I can't say that a full choke is optimum for a one ounce load, but with my guns, it seems to be. Hopefully some of the shotshell statistic gurus will have better input.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Patterning your gun would be a good way to tell. I would go no tighter than .038, but you might find that the .030 does fine with the one ounce. Try what has worked for you in the past and then see if you want to go tighter. Every gun/load will have the potential to pattern differently. Putting it on paper is a good way to see what's going on.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Shoot what you have. If you are satisfied with the breaks, then you have the right choke. 30 points is nominally Light Full, and should be PLENTY of choke.

I use 35 points in a Ballistic Specialties bore matched choke and get vapor clouds at the 16 and satisfying breaks at the 27. My yardage is 25, but when the gang shoots practice caps, I shoot at the back fence with everybody else. (too lazy to change the speakers!)

I was trying a 40 point choke, but the 35 pointer gets a better break. Some barrels and loads do not tolerate too much choke.

I shoot 24 gram loads at the 16 and for dubs, and one ounce at caps. I load the 24 gram charge to 1300 fps, and the one ouncer to about 1250. IC/IMOD crush doubles targets with the 24 grammers.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I support using the most open choke that will completely reduce a target to dust when you do your job. A choke with 30 points of constriction could be called a light full or an improved modified and is not a bad starting point. Use this choke for a year or two and then determine if you are satisfied.

Changing to a little tighter choke or a slightly more open choke could make the difference of one or two birds per hundred. We get overly concerned with minor points such as foot position, shot size and small differences in chokes and ignore major factors such as gun fit, seeing the birds and keeping our head on the stock.

Pat Ireland

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like Pat's advice. My Under barrel throws beautiful, round, dense patterns at 30 yards from its .018 choke using my 1 ounce reloads. Interestingly, my singles average is the same with that barrel and my .030 unsingle barrel using the same load.

Pattern you barrel/choke combination at target distance. If you like what you see, use it. If you don't, try another combination.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I use a .030" Ballistic Specialties choke with my own 1285 fps 1 oz. reload and am quite happy with the result back to 24 yards (which is all the further I go). You want to keep the pattern "together" without squeezing it so hard that it starts to scatter.

Morgan

9. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Hello Pat Ireland

My Name is Pat Kelley Im Oh shooter , What part of the Country you shoot most
    I have saw your posts and consider them to be from knowing what your saying !experince teaches us best .

Pat Kelley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.