1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need straight wad for straight walled hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longhorn, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Federals, Estates and the other cheaper shells are straight walled hulls. Do I need straight wads for reloading or can I use wads that are meant to be used in the tapered hulls such as the AA's and Remington hulls? It looks like the loading manuals recommend loads/hulls/wads that are mixed.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can do whatever you want. Lots of people use wads made for tapered hulls in straight walled hulls.

But it makes sense to me, when you are reloading straight walled hulls, to use wads made for straight walled hulls.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I want to reload the best possible shells I can. I only use wads that are specifically designed to fit in the hull I am reloading.

Pat Ireland

4. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Alliant has some recipes, 1 1/8, on their site for WAA12 and Federal hulls (Estate.) I have some loaded (50), but have not shot them. The pressures are low and I was wondering how they would perform. I need to shoot them.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Load data listed by load manuals are not recommendations. They are loads that have been tested and found to be within pressure specifications and are safe. That is not always quite the same as good. I've tried a number of loads listed in manuals that just have not worked for me. Sometimes it seems as there is too tall a stack up of components and the crimps are marginal. Sometimes the crimps are dished. I could probably re-do all my machine adjustments to get a little better result, but is it worth it? I prefer to have machine set so that my most common loads work well, and I don't have to fiddle with it, save for the powder drop. Every wad is a design tradeoff to meet a number of applications. Using a proper wad for the case in question generally will produce a better load however.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think you will get better results if you use wads designed for straight walled hulls in straight walled hulls. I always did.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob K made an important post. Loading manuals do not present good loads, only safe loads.

Pat Ireland

8. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

I loaded a 1 oz in the Fed top guns, with a ww 12SL (pink). This load is in the books. Have had many off sounding soft loads.

9. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

"I loaded a 1 oz in the Fed top guns, with a ww 12SL (pink). This load is in the books. Have had many off sounding soft loads."

This is a tapered wad and really doesn't work well in a straight walled hull, especially when it is cold.

Generally, a tapered wad won't work in a straight walled hull very well.

On the other hand, a straight walled hull will work in a tapered hull provided the hull is a Remington. Don't try them in the 2 piece Winchesters because they will catch on the lip of the bottom piece.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

years ago i reloaded the red activ hull. i used a federal 12s3 wad, at that time i don't remember if activ had their own reccomended wad or not. one day i was shooting a practice round of trap and after i shot it sounded wierd. i took the barrel off my gun and saw that the wad actually melted inside the barrel. i took the barrel into the gun club and the owner asked me what hull i was using? he then said i bet you used a federal 12s3 wad. i said yes, how did you know that? he said he had a few other shooters that loaded the actic hull with that same wad and the same thing happened. i had to take the barrel up to the gunsmith and he was able to get the wad out. have any of you ever had a wad actually melt inside a barrel, using activs or any other hull?
    steve balistreri

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ron Baker (trap4ever) has done extensive testing in my lab and the shorthand version of what we've found is:

1. If the shot-charge is 1 1/8 ounce, you can use a taper-hull wad in a straight-wall hull and it will work OK.

2. If the shot-charge is one ounce or less, a taper-hull wad is a poor choice to use in a straight-wall hull, because both the speed and pressure not only drop but also become unacceptably inconsistent. So for one ounce and less loads, if you are loading a straight-wall hull, use the kind of wad made for straight-wall hulls.

Neil

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You are far more likely to have powder migration past the powder seal using a tapered design wad in a straight wall hull. Trust me on this. This can lead to entertaining fireworks displays at your barrel's end when the wad hangs up in the choke and your slow burning powder, sitting in the crush section, burns off. It's good for throwing the downstream shooters off their game though. It's hard to get back in the zone after you have been laughing that hard.

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I use the original Remington TGT12 (full circled wads) which are longer than the Fig8 Remington. I be they re-catalogued these wads as 1 ounce wads. These wads are long and work well in these straight walled cases. BT-100dc

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you have an overbored barrel (larger inside diameter than standard) you could have more issues with using a tapered type wad in a straight walled hull. There are so many wads made for the straight walled hulls, that there should be no problem obtaining some. There is plenty of data for them as well. I use the type of wads that were intended for the hulls I'm loading. Just one less thing to go wrong.

15. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

They are kind of pricey but the Guliandi wads load and shoot very well in the straight wall hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal wads straight walled hulls
new tapered hulls
shotgun wads for straight wall hulls
straight wall wad in tapered hull

straight wall wads

tapered versus straight walled shotgun shells
tapered wads in straight walled hulls
waa12 in an estae hull