Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do I need an adjustable butt plate?

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  teleskier 
#1 ·
My comb is set where I like the bead alignment, but because I have a long neck I still have to bend to the stock quite a bit. Would an adjustable butt plate help this. If so, which one? Is the Jones product a good one?
Thank you,
Jim

#7 ·
Jim:

If you are mounting your gun with the heel even with the top of your shoulder then yes, you need a stock adjuster to reduce having to lower your cheek to the stock.

Bear in mind however, that lowering the pad will increase the barrel rise during recoil so there may be a practical limit to how much you can lower it.

Rollin

#9 ·
It's true that some stock makers manufacture their own hardware,but unless you definitely want to work with a particular shop or absolutely need any unique features their product offers, I would look at what's available, talk to other people and then buy based on that.

Proprietary hardware has more advantages for the shop than for the customer and "robust" usually adds more weight to the rear of the stock unless exotic materials or machining are involved. A trap gun produces only about 13 pounds of recoil energy so a simple pad adjuster made of something like 1/4" tempered aluminum just isn't necessary.

I have over 150,000 rounds through the last pad adjuster I installed and except for yearly removal for action service, it hasn't budged since I installed it.

#10 ·
The Jones adjuster would be my last choice. Use something a little more substantial. The 100 Straight or the Hissem or other similar butt pad adjusters are better. The sandpaper on the pad plate keeps the pad from moving without requiring lots of screw torquing. The Country Gentleman adjuster is good, but big and heavy if you care about weight. They also used to make an adjuster than allowed a pitch adjustment as well. I don't know if they still do.

I also have a long (for a trap shooter, anyway) neck and I am much more comfortable and accurate when I keep my head more erect. I would go for the adjustable butt plate. If it requires "too" much down adjustment and the gun no longer fits in the case, you can always add an add-on rib later. That will also help with recoil rotation if your pitch is not set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.