1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need a Gmail account ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by need to shoot more, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I am a little bit of a cross roads here, my current internet provider is Comcast . If I ever change then I need to notfiy my current contacts of the change( correct).
    A gmail account is Google correct? Will there always be a Google? I am about to have business cards made up not sure what to do on the email listing if any. Currently I pay Comcast about $175.00 per month ( phone,cable and internet)I can have Verizon for $99.00 same services
    Thank you in advance,
    Jim

2. tj303

tj303 Member

Gmail is part of Google. It is free. Yahoo mail is also free. Both have worked well for me.

3. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I keep an AOL account which is my original e-mail that works through Time Warner Roadrunner and I have a Gmail account which I set up as well. I barely use the Gmail but since its free why not.

Bob Gibson

4. ChetH

ChetH Member

I think it is a very good idea to decouple your email address(es) from your internet provider. It saves all kinds of confusion and trouble when you decide to change services.

Gmail is a good way to go for an individual account. They are free, and fairly easy to use. And they will keep your old emails forever.

For a business, the right way to go is to register a domain. That way you have a real internet presents, you have an address that belongs to you, and the cost is pretty close to trivial.

chet h.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You will lose your Comcast e-mail. They don't provide a stand alone e-mail service. But you will get the Verzion Web mail service through them. Just set up your e-mail account when you're hooked up. How long is your contract good for with Verizon? They sold out to Frontier here in Indiana, and the TV part of the package went from $35.00 a month to $140.00 !!!!

Wayne

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Google also allows for POP3, meaning if you use Outlook or Thunderbird, you're good to go. Yahoo charges for this, and I dropped them many years ago when they started charging.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I have 6 email adresses - or is it 7 ? One is a Gmail account and it is set up so that it goes and 'picks' the email out of most of the other mailboxes. IMO, Gmail is a bargain you shouldn't pass up.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Go with Gmail. As other's have said, there is lots of good to using gmail and then just switch to verizon. I use both and like both services. Hate verizon customer service, but FiOS rocks!

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Ok Guys and thank you for the replies, Verizon right now is $99.00 for two years
    we can call Comcast retentation dept evey few months and they reduce it $15 25 dollars then it bounces back up again.
    Jim

10. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I have a Gmail & Yahoo mail. Both are O.K. Gmail has video too.(net cam) Don`t know about Yahoo.

Regards, Pete

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Gmail...

If you have several accounts on other services, you can direct the emails to your Gmail account.

You can also on the Google email page run a program that allows for free phone calls on your computer.

12. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

if u get an Android smart phone, u will need a gmail account as they are driven by Google, no matter the service provider.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.