1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need a 5000 dollar trap gun to shoot trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I was just thinkin about why anyone needs a trap gun costing 5 grand or more?

All the super-duper guns that everyone is yapping about are all cool.

Everyone here talks about Leo, the Grand, the rabbit, and complains about Sparta.

I am new to Trap Shootin and have a family and kids.. My money is pretty tight, and gettin tighter since my kid can shoot trap and also wants to fire off a few rounds of trap at the club.

Then I get on here at the forums, and people are knockin model 12's, 870's, Super X's, not knowing anything about adjustible ribs, etc. , it goes on and on.

How are we going to encourage people new to the sport of Trap Shootin to keep participating in it.

Just another stupid thought that was in my head that I have decided to share.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The typical rationalizing the purchase and possession of costly or showy items exists in clay target games as well as other venues. And, it is not "everyone" that complains about Leo, The Grand, The Rabbit, Sparta and the mentioned relatively inexpensive guns you mention. If you were to count the vast number of posters that almost never open let alone join in the complaining you'd see that the bitchers are in a vast minority. Just learn to avoid posts that go against your interests. Many of us do just that.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Guy

Guy Member

Listen....you shoot what you got....as often as you can....and don't worry about the rest. But.....if you find the needle in your arm......as most of us have.....don't be surprised if you start lookin' for ways to own some of that good stuff.....it's a fine ride.

It's pretty simple for me.....I figure a man should own a fine shotgun, watch, and knife......and pistols and rifles are OK too.

4. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

This site has a lot of moaning, groaning, whinning, and complaining. Once you filter out all that stuff it's a great site. The majority of shooters I know don't even read the threads on here anymore. Too much politics and guys who know everything about anything. I would say less than 10% of trapshooters I know use this site.

With that said it is a good site. Don't let the few guys who are know it all's scare you away. There is a ton of information on this site and it's all free. Once you filter through the BS there is some really good stuff.

As for the $5,000 gun question. If breaking more targets meant spending more money on a trap gun everyone would be shooting $15,000 guns. Actually $5,000 isn't too bad for a gun. But I understand your situation and I know that the money would be more useful elsewhere.

Just because you don't have an expensive gun doesn't mean you can't compete. Find a gun that fits you and the rest is history. Model 12, BT-99, Beretta 391, doesn't matter. If it fits you, you'll break more targets.

The reason guys spend big money on guns is because there better built. Their durable and usually have a little better craftsmanship. Doesn't mean they beat up on the cheap guns all the time.

Again, find a gun that fits you and let 'em have it! I shoot a Perazzi and have had my tail handed to me more than once by a BT-99 and Model 12.

Regards,
    Matt Ski

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

No of course you don't need a $5,000 trapgun to shoot, you need a $l5,000 gun to shoot. Only Kidding now!!! LOL. Bud, you can use any of those guns you talked about without any problems. Rem ll00 is another good choise as is a simple BT-99 for singles and handicap. It would be hard to shoot doubles with thou. But most new shooters don't shoot doubles for a couple of years so you can pick whatever feels good to you when you shoot one. Gun fit is probably one of the most important things about a gun. All guns differ is some sort or another. Sometimes a shooter finds in nessesary to install a Adjustable comb or a adjustable butt plate to get the gun he/she is using to fit properly. These cost around $500 to install both on a gun. Most times a shooter does not want to pay this for a gun worth under $l,000 to fit them because they will never recoup this $500 loss when and if they ever try to sell the gun. Try to buy a shotgun with at least one of these extra's so that could only help you out if you need it at a latter date. Most new shooters do not know if there gun even fits them right??? This needs to be done by a good gunfitter and not the guy who thinks he knows it all at your club. Todd at the Country Gentleman is a stand up guy who will tell you strait if you ever run across him at any shoot. So if you buy a $3,000 gun and add these options you don't loss to much if you sell it latter. Some shooters can shoot a gun right out of the box just fine. Try as many guns as you can before you buy one in your price range. Take your time and think it out and all will be fine. Don't be in a rush. Good lUck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm looking at it from a man at the midlife crisis point. New P or K gun or a sports car. I'm leaning heavy on the gun. Is it needed? No not at all. My Beretta 682 Gold E would be just fine and is capable of breaking just as many birds as the high $ guns but i found that so called "needle in my arm". Its an addiction that i think rivals these meth and cocaine addicts. At least its a legal addiction.---Matt

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Budster, may I emphasize what Matt said above ... if you have a question, no matter how arcane (or even unrelated to trap) and you'll get answers. Maybe one, maybe 2 ... maybe 13 conflicting ones, but MOST that write will embed their basis for their answer. It may be direct experience, it may be indirect, or it may be opinion - but most of the time what you read IS labeled.

For the answer to your opener? Your handle indicates you shoot all the gun you NEED to have to take you to a pretty high level, if you can afford it and are dedicated to getting there.

You can shoot a lot of league trap with a hunting gun, but there's a minimum 'setup' you need to be competitive. Beyond that minimum (well below $5000) it is want and justification and rationalization.

Bob

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In my younger days, I shot very expensive tournament guns. One of them cost $35,000.

It never fit me.

Now, I shoot trap with an 1100 Trap with Old School fixed XF choke. It fits me better than the high grade gun. It will vaporize 'em from the back fence.

I shoot Sporting with a 1994 Browning Special Sporting Clays Edition O/U. It fits me better than any gun I have ever shot.

Although old, hard of seeing and hearing, on a good day I can still hold my own in the disciplines I shoot.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shoot what you can afford. Almost any field shotgun can be embellished to work for trap. Have fun.

10. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

You absolutely need a 5000 dollar shotgun to shoot Trap...
    And I just happen to have one I'll sell for 4000. !!!!

11. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

i can miss them with any dollar gun

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have been through a bevy of trap guns as well and have settled on my 1100 skeet B with a 30" barrel that I bought used from my friend in 1977. I buy a different trap gun every once and a while but always go back.

13. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

By a gun that feels good , In the 70's , a Rem. 1100 or Rem. 870 was the gun of choice, I think it still is, easy to buy & shoot.Beretta has an auto that works well.

Joe Woods/Ontario

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Absolutely not! The gun used needs to fit and it needs to be safe and reliable--that's all. Thankfully there are tons of choices out there in the under 2k range.

There are many snobs on forums like this. In my experience many fewer face to face.

I've never heard anyone at a shoot, or club knock an 870, or 1100. Many continue to shoot them with pride. I have several that I started with, and that my sons and their friends have shot. When you're financing more than one shooter the costs are crazy... I can empathize!

Not too long ago my not-so-fancy and MUCH less than 5k 3200 1/1000 broke during the VA State shoot. My other one was away at Laib's for a makeover so I fetched my old 870TB from the truck and finished out the round. I felt proud to be holding her again and she didn't let me down.

Have fun and enjoy your kid's participation and encourage their friends to come along too. All of mine are grown up and on their own. I miss those days... enjoy while they last!

I have an extra 870TB in my safe that I may part with if you need one. She has allot of miles on her, but many more left to go.

Guy Babin

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's a razor and razor blade issue. The gun (any type) becomes the least costly item. It's all those shells you can go through , and the fee's, that cost the real money. I once did a survey here a couple of years ago concerning "how much each shooter spent on the sport each year." There were well over 50 responses, and the average was around $5000 per year.

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Over the years I have progressed in gun ownership from Model12 870 1100 BT 99 Perazzi Krieghoff it has been a wonderful trip. Along the way I lost my mind and had 4 children and did not shoot for many years I stopped three time for long periods taking time with the family. I always came back when I had the chance as I get this wonderful feeling when I just ink ball a target I also have made so many good friends seems shooters are my kind of people. I have kept the old guns I started with as the more expensive guns arrived and shooting the old ones bring back fond memories and feelings yesterday I shot my 1100 and ran the first trap and shot a 24 on the second so much for hi dollar guns. I just enjoy shooting different gun and break about the same scores with any of them. Remember Big Leo shot the lights out for years with a1100 record after record.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a lot of guns, none of which cost over $2500.00 and I can pick up most any of them and shoot competitively. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm good, I'm saying that most any gun will do to shoot trap. If you are of average build a Remington fits more people than any other gun I've seen. I just purchased a 870 and a 34 inch Wadlock barrel and have less than $500.00 in it and love to shoot it. I do believe that if you stick with one gun you will do better but for me I love shooting games, as well as trap, skeet, and sporting clays, and use several different guns.

The bottom line is that you don't need an expensive gun to shoot. A gun that fits is the most important thing.

As far as the complainers, I would like to ask them sometimes who pissed in their cornflakes. Unfortunately, there are a few negative people any place you go. On the positive side, there are a lot of fine folks on here. I have been helped by a number of them. Maytag helped me repair my dishwasher and saved me a good bit of money. Llano Bill saved me several hundred dollars on a gun repair on my Beretta 686 and the list just goes on and on.

I'm glad that you have joined us on here and are enjoying shooting. If I can ever be of service please let me know. Jackie B.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Vic Reinders gave me this advice the first day I started going to a gun club. He said " purchase a Remington 870 TB and save all the money you would have traded on guns and use that money to shoot". I did not take his advice and it took me 40 years to realize Vic was correct. Just like any one just starting out, most people will purchase other guns the longer you are in the sport. One of the best pieces of advice that I can you is NEVER get rid of a gun that you can shoot well. Should you purchase another gun, give your old gun to a friend to hold for you for atleast 3 months. Tell him or her under any circumstances give the gun back to you for a minimum of the months so you can learn to shoot your new gun. If you can't shoot the new gun after 3 months, than and only then have your friend return your old gun to you. This website is filled with threads by shooters searching for their old guns that they sold and now want them back.
    Steve Balistreri

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm currently shooting my old Devault 391 conversion, got it back & after 2 years. Getting back to shooting it again. Using my Infinity as a backup. When I get my strength up & back fixed may go back to the Infinity. Using a 682 for doubles with a bondo try stock, the 391 will eventually be my doubles backup gun. Who knows a Perazzi is looming just over the horizon.

Phil Berkowitz

20. JTEA

JTEA Member

One of the trap gurus, years ago, stated something as: "If I had $2500 to spend on a trap shooting gun I'd buy a $1000 gun and spend the extra $1500 shooting targets". Good wisdom if you're new to the sport.

Get a good used 11-87 (or 1100), or a Beretta auto-loader. Many options for stocks, barrels always available at lower prices. If / when you want to spend more you will have a back up and know what you want. An adjustable comb should be a top priority. I have had 11/87's since they were first made, use my Jack West adjustable stock with a rifled slug barrel for deer. Also a back up gun for upland and goose hunting; skeet barrel etc.. Have a light contour barrel for trap as well. Rarely shoot it for trap as the Ljutic never breaks down.

I've bought guns for a decent discount from guys who won them at shoots. Perhaps those days are over?

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
21000 dollar trap gun
4000 dollar trap shooting gun

5000 dollar gun

best 5000 dollar trap gun

best trap gun for 3000 dollars

best trap gun under 5000

what do i need to shoot trap

what do i need to start trap shooting