1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have the two rarest Beretta Tekneys 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Once again, perhaps not shooting related but . . . .

I have two Beretta 391 Tekneys. One is a Cole Trap gun with a mobile choked 32" barrel. The other is a sporting ( I think ) model with an optima choke.

What is unique (?) is the side of the receiver(s). The sporting model has the blue insert on one side of the receiver but not the other side. The Cole model doesn't have either a blue or green insert on either side.

Someone at the gun club suggested the sporting model had the insert misplaced or fall out (?) and that I should call Beretta and ask for a replacement. Does this sound correct ?

Perhaps I have the two rarest Tekney's 391's in existence worth beaucoup dollars !

What say you Beretta experts ? OBTW, anyone have a 28" mobile choked barrel for sale ? It's either that, or I may just sell the gun.

Thanks in advance.

amboy49_2008_0303124.jpg

amboy49_2008_0303125.jpg

amboy49_2008_0303126.jpg

amboy49_2008_0303127.jpg

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Do I have the two rarest Beretta Tekneys 391's ?

The top one looks like a factory defect, the bottom one looks like a field receiver. The blue one should have a matching inlay in the stock. My guess is someone played mix-match w/ receivers/barrels/stocks/forends.

3. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

The bottom receiver is attached to a Cole stock and forearm so there is no inlay in the stock as you suggest. The forearm says "Cole" on it. What does the Tekneys designation actually mean ? In my uninformed way, I thought the Tekneys were target guns, not field guns. Again, my knowledge is limited. I purchased them both, primarily, for sporting clays. The 32" barrel on the Cole is much too long to swing on a sporting range. Hence, my search for a 28" mobile choked barrel.

Again, thanks

4. skeet_man

Beretta made a Teknys Field (no inlay) Gold Sporting (blue inlay) and Gold Field (green inlay). There is also a "Gold Target" with brown inlays, but I've never seen one other than a picture on google.

Looks like Cole (or someone else) built a target gun on a field receiver (no inserts). The missing enamel on the other one is damage or a factory defect.

"The bottom receiver is attached to a Cole stock and forearm so there is no inlay in the stock as you suggest." I was referring to the TOP receiver, the one with the blue inlays. There should be matching inlays in the stock, all the Gold models had them, so either the stock on the TOP receiver is aftermarket, or is from a field gun.

The 32" mobile choke barrel isn't original to either receiver either. It should be Optima choke for that generation of receiver.

So what it boils down to is that you have a built up gun (the bottom receiver with no inlays) which utilized a field receiver, cole wood, and a non-original barrel, and a gun with a defect (the top receiver w/ the blue inlays) which has non-original wood.

It shouldn't be too hard to repair the defective inlay if you can get a replacement one, I believe they were just glued in place, and it wasn't uncommon for the whole thing to just fall out on its own. Not Beretta's best idea.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

The Beretta Tekney Gold target has blue inlay. The Rancher has the brown inlays.

6. ECWis

ECWis TS Member

"The 32" mobile choke barrel isn't original to either receiver either. It should be Optima choke for that generation of receiver."

Slight correction to that. The Teknys Sporting receiver with the blue inserts originally came with an Optima choked barrel. The Teknys Field with no inserts came with an Optima Plus choked barrel. Optima Plus chokes are not interchangeable with Optima chokes. I can't say what the Teknys Field with green inserts came with, most likely it was Optima Plus?

Here is the "fix" for the blue inserts: Go to Walgreens, get yourself a bottle of Revlon Top Speed nail polish in #730 Royal Blue color. About $6. Use it to fill in the area where the plastic inserts used to be. It may take several coats, but from an arms length away you cannot tell the difference between the original inserts and the Revlon variety, after it's dried.

7. oz

oz Active Member

rare? just a fkuc up. a friend once had a s&w 41 magnum with a .44 mac cylinder. his 41 cases were all split. probably made on a friday.

8. skeet_man

The only pic of the Gold Target I could find on Google had the same brown inlay as the King Ranch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta teknys green inlay vs blue inlay

beretta teknys no inserts

difference between green and blue beretta 391 teckys

enamel inlay on teknys

inlays teknys

tekneys field 391

teknys 391 with with white stock insert

teknys sport vs field