1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do hunters still use a 30" fixed full 12 ga.?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I do not hunt but I recently picked up a nice 30 inch fixed full 12 gauge Remington 31 field gun. The price for this fine piece of engineering was only $265.

Seeing the price to be so low, I am wondering if hunters still use guns like this, and if not, what are they using and for what type of game?

2. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Do hunters still use a 30

I try to get on my field guns 26" with Rim chokes a loot easier to swing and lighter to work with, just my opinion.

thanks
    lee

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Those early 30" full choked guns were made for shooting lead at waterfowl. Unless you can afford to shoot Bismouth, its just an overchoked not approved for steel shot gun. They are just a dead dinosour these days.

Quite a few of these show up at card shoots for the stock barreled class.

ss

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

You may want to open up the choke to modified or even improved cylinder to handle the steel shot, Hevi Shot, tungsten etc. that is required for waterfowl. Your gun will pattern better and will be more effective. It also may save you repair costs as some older guns are choked very tightly. If you are using lead shot, don't worry.....your gun will be as effective as it was 40 years ago.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

30 bbls are fine plus they're versatile. I mean, you can hunt with your shotgun (rabbits, turkey, or waterfowl) or shoot trap. Special pricey ammo for waterfowl isn't that big of a deal unless you hunt a LOT. If the gun is in half decent shape and you like it, then you got a good deal. Enjoy.

-Gary

6. Bushmaster1313

Gun is 70 years old.

I will be turning it into a home defense-riot gun with an 18.5 inch barrel.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that it is no longer a first choice for hunters.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

WOW.

If you wanted a home defense shotgun you could have bought a brand new Mossberg 500 for less money, including an extra slug barrel. That's the pump gun the US military chose for its reliability in life/death situations. Or you could have bought a used Mossberg or a rough Winchester or Remington for half that much.

People amaze me, LOL.

-Gary

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Does anyone have a 500 defender lying around that they would trade for this 31?

GW22 you're right!

ss

9. Bushmaster1313

I do not need another home defense gun and I certainly do not need a Remington 31.

Rather, this is a project I am doing just for fun. I plan to enjoy sanding and finishing the wood and I will also enjoy practising with it at the range. Total indulgence, but when I am done I will have a very handsome riot gun.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Yes 30" full choke guns are used for hunting in many parts of the country. Most squirrel hunters that use shotguns prefer them. Many rabbit hunters also. I always hunted everything with a 30" full choke..

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

A couple of duck hunters at the club who shoot their old 870 fixed full chokes swear by them for steel shot for tight patterns. Modern steel shot wads are thicker than the old wads, so their patterns aren't blown.

Perhaps the next logical step is to try different brands and loads in your gun and see how they actually pattern.

12. Bushmaster1313

Gregg

You give reasonable advice, but seem to be outnumbered.
    The market shows that the supply of these exquisite guns exceeds the demand.

My "grins," however, are to me priceless!

Rest asaured that my "new" riot gun will be kept and used responsibly and that it will give me great pleasure.

Don't think that I would be ruining a nice hunting gun. Think of it as if I was revealing the riot gun that has been there for 70 years waiting to get out.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup...my first shotgun ever was an old singlebarrel with a 30" full....it still works great today ..I aim just about 6" ahead of the nose and decapitate 'em...great for the hiding bunnies,..high tree squirrels and late season doves and treed grouse....that 31 is an awesome old gun...if you want more pattern..get some spreader loads...or make them like I do...I make "x" 's out of old fake credit cards...like the ones you get in those pre-approved BS deals..and put them in the bottom of the shot cup...makes it pattern like a LM

14. Bushmaster1313

Gregg:

Hope you stayed young.

I was sort of old when I was 16.

I'm younger than that now.

Lou

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I hunted with a kid that shot a 30 inch old A5 a few years go- he shot his fixed choke with steel shot- #3 or smaller- I didnt see any bulging although I cautioned him on it

He shot it very well

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Bushmaster1313

Gregg:

I was misquoting Dylan

Lou

17. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Do people really hunt squirrels with a shotgun? I have always used a .22 revolver.

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Yes, the ones that want to kill them do. 22 revolvers are great for scaring them.

19. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

"Scaring them"?

You must me kidding me. I have shot a lot of squirrels with a .22 Diamondback or K-22. Even if they tree up in a tall cottonwood, your shot is less than 50 feet. Head shot squirrels really do die and not of fright either.

I have shot some with a .38 WC out of a Python, but it was not because I thought a .22 would not work, it was just an excuse to use yet another gun.

I guess I never thought of shooting them with a shotgun, but if I did, I might dig out a M42 instead of a 12GA. Do you try to aim a little away from them with a 12GA and a full choke? I have to imagine lots of spoiled meat at 35 feet.

20. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Nothing like butchering a fine gun.

Also don't see much sense in putting your trust in a 70 year old gun that is difficult to obtain parts for.

Trade or sell it for a Mossberg 500 that comes in the in the form you desire.

You might try selling it on this site.

ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.