1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Do High Scores Make You A Successful Trapshooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Some time ago a friend and I were talking trapshooting (big surprise, huh) and I asked him this question: "You’ve shot some excellent scores over the years. What I want to know is, when do you feel like you’ve become a SUCCESSFUL trapshooter? Are good scores the only thing that leads to this feeling?"

His Answer: "Certainly the good scores help but what gives me a good feeling is when I’m at a shoot, people whom I don’t know, often speak to me calling me by name. I’m flattered, of course, that they know who I am but…it is also a bit embarrassing. I immediately try to learn their name, and when I do I’ve made another friend. Good Scores alone don’t count for much."

Any Comments?

Booger

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Talking to friends and having a good time is part of the joy
    But in the end it is about the score and anything less then 100x100 means I need to work harder
    I am not happy missing targets
    Now that said what ever makes you happy....

3. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

It's you and only you , so giving your best effort everytime means success . Don't ever give up .

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

In order to be a success you have to meet your goal. So being sucessful will depend entirely on your starting goal. It would appear that for JSA, it would take breaking nothing but 100's for him to consider himself successful. For others it might be breaking 90, getting to the 27 yard line, or just shooting better than their buddy. It's a very subjective question though you're likely to get a lot of opinions that agree with JSA. It can also vary depending on the type of shoot, in registered I'm disappointed if I don't shoot at least above my average. At my Wed night games shoot, just having fun with good friends is enough for a successful night, anything else is gravy.

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Hard question; sure high scores are great and builds your confidence. I believe that once it turns into work it may no longer be fun. I certainly want respect from my fellow trapshooters and to remain competitive. No, I'm not a AAA shooter but I feel satisfied with shooting consistently in the middle 90's on singles. Personally I view it as competing against myself and more times than not, I am the winner. Been shooting trap for more than 30 years and I still have the excitement every time I go to the line. I'm not so sure all AAA shooters feel the same. BT-100dc

6. ismah

ismah Member

Ben Hogan was asked (about) the same question. He said the perfect score in golf would be eighteen. The enjoyment is striving for that perfection. Success would be a personal translation.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If winning=success then yes. Otherwise this is a fairly boundless question.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Simply put, (which is almost impossible for a trapshooter to do), trapshooting, as a competitive game, is all about achieving the highest scores you can in order to win an event, period! If you continually shoot high scores, you are successful in having mastered the game, to the best of your ability. Anything less is not successful. Personal goals and the like do not factor in when measuring success on the trap line when success is defined by winning. Trapshooting, by it's very nature is about "high score wins"! The highest score wins, and, if you are continually in the winners circle, that is what makes you a successful trapshooter. Everything else is just warm, fuzzy, fluff. Yes, high scores make you a successful trapshooter.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i could care less what your scores and average are. to me, they should throw out averages, and base everything on wins at a shoots. wins, place, and show. years ago i won a handicap event with a score of 79. alot of shooters i know, cherry pick their days to shoot. warm weather, little to know wind. to me a successful shooter is one who abides by the rules, treats fellow trapshooters with respect regardless what their average is, and shoots in anytime of weather. in my opinion, wins are what should be the judge of a succesful shooter. if your looking for a nice guy, who shoots well, but never wins anything, to me he's jujst a nice guy with some good scores.
    steve balistreri

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Good scores and good friends make a successful trapshooter.

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

One of the most successful trapshooters in history told me, "You can go to a shoot and say if I shoot a hundred straight today man that will be great. I go knowing, I have to shoot a hundred straight, It's now a job." I suppose success is defined by the individual, If I do well at the State and the Grand I consider it a success. Note, I said well nothing about winning that would be way more than successful to me. J.W.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

A successful trapshooter as has been said, is a personal status. As a group of shooters, without knowing the shooter's own personal definition of "successful", we can only rate it by a number, acknowledgement or accolades.

I am successful at every shoot because I personally try to do my personal best, smile at least once, enjoy a good conversation and hopefully make a new friend.

I don't try to be perfect in the scoring end as I started this game too late in life and don't practice enough, but as in golf where there is ONE shot to bring you back again, there is always one, and hopefully more that one, shot that brings me back again.

13. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

On the occassion when I do win (league or merchandice shoots) it feels good and I have a feeling of accomplishment. Shooting with old friends and making new friends is an added perk of the game. But it's when I take someone new trapshooting and they get hooked for life like I am, that's when I consider myself a truly successful trapshooter.

Joe

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

EE... Very well said!! Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just enjoying the outdoors pursuing some thing I really enjoy (trap shooting) and talking with friends and making new ones that's sucess.

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

A successful trapshooter is one who can go out and shoot a round of 100 w/o his K80 blowing up.

17. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

They make you a good trapshooter. Success is different, personal, and has more to do with how you leave this earth than what you do while on it.

18. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Hitapair, I was very sucessful this weekend....1000 targets in three days and not one blow-up.

Sweet!!!

Rick in Mt.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Interesting question......back 32 years ago when I got drawn into this insanity, all I wanted to do was shoot a ton of targets and try and win something every shoot....then financial realities curbed my participation for a few years and arthritis limited the amount of time I can tolerate standing and shooting, but I shot 300 targets thia past Saturday in Edmonton, had a good time, visited with some buddies and ran a couple of 25 straights....my kness still hurt but I had a "successfel" shoot by my standards....

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It does for me............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.