1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

do goldenrod dehumidifers ever weaken or wear out?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

it never crossed my mind as a possibility, some things are just too simple not to work forever, but i'm thinking that i might be experiencing a failure to dehumidify by my goldonrod. i just mounted a thermometer/humidistat about a foot above the 24 inch long, gold colored rod inside my safe. what do you think the numbers should read 24 hours from now? i'll call gr tomorrow morning to see what numbers they think it should be reading. the rod is only about 10 years old but a few guns have picked up some minor surface rust in the past few months of storage. i only open this safe about 4 or 6 times a year. thanks

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

When in doubt, replace it. Guns are expensive, safe heaters are cheap.

I keep a big old bag of dessicant in there too, just to be extra safe. I throw it in the oven for a few hours every couple months to rejuvenate it.

-Gary

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

If I am not mistaken the goldenrod is nothing more than a low wattage heater so you should be able to tell if it is working by touch.

From the Brownells website

"Designed to handle the worst kinds of humidity problems to give your gun safe, locker or cabinet the perfect environment for storing valuable firearms. GoldenRod dehumidifiers use a sealed, electric element to safely heat to a surface temperature of less than 150°F (almost too warm to hold); air inside the enclosure stays slightly warmer than the ambient, outside temperature. Expansion of the heated air drives out rust-causing moisture and circulates warm, dry air throughout the storage area."

--- Chip King ---

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Mine is warm to the touch. Not hot enough to burn skin, but hot enough to know it is working.

5. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

"what do you think the numbers should read 24 hours from now?"

About 2 or 3 degrees warmer than the air in the room.

The humidity number doesn't matter as long as the guns are a degree or two warmer than the room air that's circulating through the safe. Moisture won't condense on a warm gun. Do you have either ventilation holes in the bottom and top OR a loose fitting door like most gun safes have. Lock the door on a dollar bill and see if it easily slides around and comes out. If so, the door is loose enough.

I have a large safe in an unfinished, unheated, un-ac'ed, damp basement that gets puddles on the floor during some cloudbursts. It's a 95-year-old house. Heck, the house doesn't even have central AC, but the 14-inch-thick brick walls keep most of the heat out until it hits about 100*F.

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yes they do.....they just quit working.

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

whoa! now it's working! i had it leaning up in a corner and it was merely warm. i rearranged some stuff and laid it down and now it's too hot to handle. it's now 3 degrees warmer and 5% less humidity in the safe than ambient. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.