1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Games hurt your ata scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TEXASZEPHYR, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Was wondering if games "annies buddy shoots etc hurt your ata scores. Was just wondering, Shot hangover shoot Jan 1 and really enjoyed myself. These guys shoot some pretty big loads and usually wind up shooting at about 35 to 40 yds behind trap house in the shoot off. just wondered if this is a detriment to ata shooting?

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I quit registered shooting years ago. In my case the answer is yes. I used to always quit the games a month before ATA began. I finally decided the games were more important to me and thats all I shoot now. I especially like the Calcuttas

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot of ATA targets but have no opportunity to shoot games. Since I must use a release trigger I think that having to WAIT for the shooter next to me to miss the target would have a very negative effect on my sense of timing for ATA shooting.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Any time you fire a shot it's good practice. Hanging on to a release isn't the easiest thing to learn but if I can do it, you can too.

Big Jack

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot games with several guys who shoot release triggers with success

7. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I might not know much about shooting but I asked Frank Little this very question 30 years ago at the PA state shoot.

He told me that ANYTIME you can pull the trigger on a target, DO IT.

He said that the buddy and annie shoots just might help with your trigger control. Not every ATA target is going to be broken in the same place with the same timing. On a windy day you just might have to hold off a split second, and that shooting games will teach you to concentrate on the target and help with that control.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

The mental concentration of shooting junk and ATA shooting is the same. I currently am only interested in shooting registered targets but have shot junk games in the past and I may do so again in the future.

Pat Ireland

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

shooting games will not hurt your ATA scores but shooting wooble trap instead of practicing doubles might.

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The year my ATA scores were the worst was when I shot a winter hunt and cover league. Started the year bad and was doing so many mechanical errors I could not beleive it. If your a shooter the has an average around 90 don't worry so much if your average is 96 or more STAY AWAY!!!!!

GS

11. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Frank Little's advice and added info from AJ100 is close to my experience. Some of the better ATA shooters I shoot around in Kentucky also shoot some games and you can beat them on occasion when you take them off the concrete. The 27 yard shooters don't get a lot of practice further back just like the rest of us don't.

Lot's of these better ATA shooters prefer bird races on the concrete usually one yard less than their card but always on the concrete in a 50 bird or 100 bird race. Better shooter's (AAA27) will beat you more often than not in a birdrace because it's still standard trap.

Unless you really have the time, money and drive to shoot a good ATA tour in the minimum neighborhood of a 10,000 target registered minimum, I believe pulling the trigger on anything with a shotgun is better than not.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting ATA registered but also enjoy sporting, games, bird races, rabbit, quail, doves, rabbits, waterfowl and playing like I'm Tom Knapp.

Bottom line, an all discipline all around good shotgunner will beat you at most shotgun sports most of the time.

Eddie Quire

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Anne's teach patience and control better than any other discipline.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The more you shoot the better you'll be. I shoot games, skeet, sporting, wobble etc. When I shot registered targets and games my singles average sucked, I don't like them much anyway, but my 'caps average was around 90%. I just enjoy shooting whatever it may be.

I have found out over the years, that a steady diet of big shells will do more harm than anything else. I shoot a 1350 1 1/8 oz load for back-ups and they will break them out to a 100 yds, and better, if I do my job.

These 7 day work weeks have really upended my shooting here lately. I don't think I've pulled the trigger on any of my shotguns for a month now.

ec90t

14. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

When I shot ATA, I only shot Trap. When I decided I was not going to compete any longer I took up Skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays. I also started shooting waterfowl. If I start the day with trap, I do pretty good at it....I then go on to skeet and 5 stand. If I start with 5 stand or sporting clays first, I'm terrible at skeet and trap. I think I tend to take my face off the stock to look for the second target in SC and bring it to the trap and skeet fields. Because I usually take my face off the stock to look for another duck or goose, I actually shoot my 1187 better in every game than my target guns....Go figure???? I do half way decent in the HOA shoots when I have to shoot all the disiplines.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think the top shots (top 1%) would have much time to enjoy the fun games? I did read here some time back that Leo partakes once in a while though, didn't seem to hinder his game much. Hap

16. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I believe Eddie is correct. Here in Kentucky many shoot games several nights per week and shoot ATA just fine. I am not very competitve but I really enjoy shooting Sporting Clays during the winter. I shoot for fun and when I quit having fun , I'll find something else to do.

Charlie

17. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I have a lot of trouble using a release trigger on Annie's so I use a pull trigger and flinch a lot. Wish I could figure out how to use my release.

Jerry Walker

18. chuckles

chuckles Member

Only if you are a crummy shot to begin with...

regards

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Games do not hurt my ATA scores, but I prefer to shoot Buddy Shoots and I shoot a release trigger, but I have gone back to a Caesar Guerini from my KX-5 which both have top laver break down, this makes it easier to shoot Buddy Shoots, it was a little bit harder with the Seitz, Ljutic, and even harder with the Beretta Automatics, to open with the release set when your partner broke the target. It actually makes me concentrate more on the target so I can break it if partner misses.

I am 67 years old and my partner is 70+ years old and we win a lot of buddy shoots, our timing is very close, which really helps. When you have a partner that rides the target before shooting, he creates a problem for himself and magnifies it for his partner, and his partner will usually shoot way over or under the back-up shot. I do not like to shoot with a slow shooting partner.

Shooting a release does not affect me in any way for games.

The best back-up shell for me is 1 3/16s ounce of 6s at 1250 to 1285 Fps.

Shoot off shell is 1 1/8th oz #6s with 30 to 32 grains of LONGSHOT in a STS Hull
    with RIO Primer,Downrange Windjammer wad.

AA Grey Hull with Remington SP-12 wad same load.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I did not read any of the posts here. Its like any other thing. If you think it does it will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.