1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do electronic dog fences work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting one, but, would like to hear from any here that have experiance with an Electronic dog fence.

Thanks

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not perfectly but generally if you do the "training"

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Just push the dog into the fence wire once and you'll never even have to plug it again. The dog will never go near the wire again. Heck electric fences even work for feral hogs.

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

The short answer is yes they work. The qualifier is that you have to train your dog to know why they are getting a shock and where they can expect to get it.

The first one I used was on two miniature schnauzers that we used to have. One of them wouldn't get close to the little flags marking the 'zap' zone after about three shocks. The second would walk into the zone until she heard the tone. She would sit in the zone and let it beep so much that it wore out her battery.

I'd do it where we're living now but our current dog, a wirehair, doesn't need it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ask Neil Winston, he has done extensive testing and I believe written a book on the subject. HMB

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

My daughter and family had them in 3 different homes and they work great with their two Labs.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Make sure the batteries are fresh in the collar as well.

8. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

Depends on the dog too. I had a rot/coon hound that I trained with one so I thought. She would walk up until it beeped then look right at you and walk through yelping all the way. Stubborn b!#^@*.

Thats my experience

John MI

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Oh Yeah, they work. Just installed one this week-end
    Innotec 5100 "Contain and Train. Please read the instruction and watch video
    I put the collar on my wrist to try it. It gives a tone first but my hearing isn't the best, never heard it but I sure felt it. The underground fence doesnt have an adj. for shock strength but when using the remote ( up to 150 yds) it does have an adj.
    I tried it at 7 (out of 9 settings) its tolerable but wakes you up. Not looking to torture my dog so I had to try it first.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Our neighbor has one and it keeps his dogs in the yard but it doesn't prevent other dogs from coming in. Mike.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

We have DOG WATCH. It works perfectly, is adjustable, and cost way less than Invisible Fence.

I'll warn you though -- if your dog happens to be really dumb and/or is oblivious to pain you're going to have some escapes. That's what the installer told me, and a guy I work with had a dog like that.

We love ours.

-Gary

12. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Shockingly well!!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Didn't work for my sister-in-law's beagle. It was so friggin' stupid it could not figure out the warning shocks and the main shock. Just kept trotting over the wire while yelping and kept going for miles, letting it's nose lead the way. They finally threw in the towel and built a real fence.

14. Reinz

Reinz Member

Just by chance, if you have a Collie, you may not need it. All 4 of the Collies that I have had over the years have trained themselves to stay within the boarders. And this is in a residential neighborhood.
    I don't know how, but they did and never strayed. They were females if that mattered.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I had a bare wire set up around the flower gardens many years ago when the male shelty would go around spraying all the bushes . Just one time of lifting his leg and getting a jolt cured him and he then went to the middle of the lawn to pee . The female got hit and landed on the other side and cried for us to get her out . The wifes friend never squatted down in the flowers to smell them anymore either since she almost went over the fence when her butt touched the wire . Bad thing is the end of the wire was twisted on a brass eye ring in the corner of the house where there was also a ground connection to the cable wires and it took about 2 months for the electric current to start cooking the wooden texture 111 siding and chared the wood about 4 inches around what could have been a nasty house fire just outside my workshop/reloading room .

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Sorry, I thought you were talking about "electric" fences which do work great. As for Electronic virtual "fences", I don't know but have heard other people say that they don't work real well for determined dogs.

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for responding, I have some good info now and will get on with it.

Some of the dog stories here were just too funny.

Thank

18. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

My Daughter has 3 Great Danes and the invisible fence works great. The only time she had a problem was when one of the dogs saw a deer and ran to chase it away. The dog ran so fast that it went across the "fence" and couldn't get back inside because of the shock. Larry Evans

19. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I'm house-sitting for my brother-in-law while they are on vacation.

They have two dogs contained in a wireless fence.

As I finished watering and feeding them, I cut through the yard to tend to the horses.

Now, I just bought a new pair of hearing aids, and as I went through the sensor wire, I heard a distinct tone in my ears. I went back through just to check it, and heard it again, so there must be some frequency similarities with the two.

Just saying, but might be a good way of periodic testing of system!

Danny

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Only if you are a Dog! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.