1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO CHOKE TUBES PATTERN AS WELL AS A FIXED CHOKE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    years ago when i first patterned choke tubes, i felt all they were good for was hunting, skeet and 16 yard shooting. back then, with the short standard choke tubes, i felt they did not pattern as well as a fixed full choke barrel. at one time i was on 25 yards in handicap, and i did my patterning simulating 25 to 27 yard handicap in mind. recently, i patterned a friends gun with the long extended choke tubes, and what a difference. it certainly seems making the choke tube longer in length, makes them pattern really nice. does anyone agree with me? seems by increasing the length of the choke tube, patterns have really improved. are they as good as the standard fc fixed barrel, that's debateable, in my opinion i would say yes. i patterned a new browning extended choke tube recently, as well as a comp n choke, i think thats the name of it. what choke tube do you consider gives the best patterns as well as does the material that the choke tube is made of, help in patterning?
    steve balistreri

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

They pattern alright. The question is where do they pattern? Ask any choke maker. If they're honest they'll tell you that they can't guarantee any two chokes fitted to your gun will shoot in the same place. Plus, they're a pain in the kiester to switch around and prone to come out when they shouldn't and not come out when they should. JMHO.

Buz

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steve, way too many great scores have been shot with screw-in chokes for anyone to think they don't work.

If you want anything more specific than that - not just opinion, but data-based assurances - I'm afraid you will be out of luck here. Just what you have asked about is years of work with little assurance anything will be found out. Few if any are going to make that commitment.

Neil

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Screw in chokes can, and often do, shoot excellent patterns. Poorly made screw in chokes can change the POI. An excellent screw in choke can, over time, have the threads worn and this can alter the POI. Exposing lightly oiled threads to a dusty environment is a quick way to damage the threads.

Pat Ireland

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have many 303 barrels in fixed and choke config. The factory mobil chokes are far superior in point of impact and pattern especially at long yardages than the factory unchoked barrel. The best barrel of the bunch is a 32" mobil choke that Moneymaker backbored and added a high rib to it.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I really like the way Comp-N-Chokes perform in all the guns that I've tried them in. Them seem to perform better, for me, than any other ckoke tube on the market.

That being said, A Wilkinson tuned, fixed choke, barrel absolutely destroys targets harder than any choke tube gun that I've ever shot.

ec90t

7. yansica1

yansica1 Member

First of all it depends what your definition of better or as good is? I often get the feeling that some equate extremely tight and therefore hard hitting, on easy going aways as good. This is hardly the case if those patterns are being printed by what should in theory be a 1/2 choke for instance.

I would say in practice multi chokes are far easier to TUNE in to your preferrence. What I mean by this is that if you have a fixed choke of say 3/4, then you are stuck with whatever pattern it choses to throw with your favourite cartridge. A multi on the other hand can have a different make screwed in (as well as a different cartridge used), or indeed another 3/4 from the same brand and may in fact then give the desired results, all in the space of a few minutes.

POI faults and problems are really a different area altogether and not related to the choke spread in itself and therefore should be taken out of the context of this question. Even then a multi can be made to throw correctly at least as easily as sending off a fixed set barrel for regulation.

8. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I use Wright's Competition chokes and they give me a nice even pattern in all three that I use in my trapgun. I have patterned them and they give similar POI's from each. I am very please with them. I believe that Stu Wright tries to duplicate the same internal parallels that Winchester used in their trap chokes. I have talked to him and have confidence in what he has told me in our discussions.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A high quality, well made screw in choke can do better than a poor fixed choke. I have seen great patterns from some of the aftermarket choke tubes. I still think the best patterns I ever got were from a fixed choke barrel, but I won't complain about the choke tubes performaqnce. I had some stock Remington tubes that would change the POI by six inches at 15 yards. They have been replaced with decent aftermatket tubes and are now on the money. You get what you pay for in some cases.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Don't forget that much has been learned about how to properly build, both in terms of materials and spec's, a good functioning choke tube since they first appeared.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Here's my input. One of my fixed choke Beretta barrels threw abysmal patterns, the other patterned great. My Beretta 682 Gold E trap combo came with Optima chokes. Only two out of six shot to the same place, and only one of them patterned well. Briley replacement chokes cured all that.

My Perazzi 35" MX-15 .032" fixed choke barrel threw superb patterns. I really miss that barrel. My MX-8 O/U barrels were great at .018" and .030". Neither my new 35" .036" fixed choke 2000RS unsingle OR my .019"/.032" O/U barrels patterned anywhere near as well. I sent them to Kerry Allor and got and got back a .035" unsingle and a .019"/.032" O/U, and all throw stunning patterns.

My 20b Rizzini came with 8 choke tubes (I knew the distributor). They are a mix of Briley and Rizzini. All shoot to the same place, and all pattern well. So the best answer to your question is...you don't know 'till you try it. That being said, I've never had a removable choke that patterned better than a good fixed choke gun. I have had fixed choke barrels pattern just a little better that the best choke tubes I've owned, so I use fixed chokes in my trap barrels.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

does the material that the choke tube is made of have any or know affect on the way the tube shoots?
    steve

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steve, I can't see how the pellets could know what's squeezing them.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

come n choke tubes

do fixed choke guns throw beter patterns than multichokes

does anyone shooting a fixed choke think it is better than tube chokes

is a fixed choke better than a multi choke

winchestershotgun fixed full choke shoot tight patterns