1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Barbour coats smell?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Em, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Just got one in perfect shape but "pre owned" from feeBay but it smells like cigarettes or smoke of some sort.

Seller graciously allows for a return but before I do that I would like to know if that's how they all are.

thanks !

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

Waxed cotton on the Barbour has a distinct smell but not like cigs. If you jacket has the flannel lining, that is where the cigarette smell would reside - just dry clean it.

If you keep the jacket (recommended) you will not regret it. I have two, Blue and Green, and my wife has two and both my sons have one each - all Beauforts with game bag in back. I have had my green one for nearly 40 years and I would rather give up something really valuable than part with it.

You need to get the barbour wax or equivalent and treat it before every hunting season.

Great stuff - even though modern hunting jackets are warmer and lighter.

Bill

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Both of mine didn't smell out of the boxes. One of then now has gun powder smell.

If it smells like cigarette smoke, it must be cigarette smoke. You can try to air it out or just hang it in the bath room when you or your wife take a hot steaming shower, sometimes this will take out most of the odors (and wrinkle).

Don't dry clean the coat, it'll take off the wax.

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thanks,

Most of the smell is on the shell, less on the lining

If it was from a chain smoker, would reproofing it cover the smell?

Right now its hard to keep in the house, its that strong

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Spray the coat with Fabreeze and let it air dry.

Eric

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

they might have a slight scent of the oil. but no, they don't smell. i smoke an occasional cigar by the outdoor fire. if it does smell like smoke, it'll air out in a few days. i do know a guy who smeared some $3 kiwi mink oil from wal mart on a $300 jacket instead of the $20 barbour wax. now that jacket stunk!

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The Barbour wax needs to apply with steam for best result. It's a rather difficult process if you want to do it right.

No, re-wax it will not cover the smell from cigarette smoke.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Do NOT start with dry cleaning the coat - it will remove the wax.

You have a couple of options here. Best would be to run in a hot dryer - stop and check every five minutes. The heat will volatilize the odor causing compounds - so to will it melt the wax... you need to do this carefully - get the smell out without trashing the wax.

Last resort is to dry clean - but you will need to send the coat to Barbour to be re-waxed (they have a US facility). Not a fun job for a coat totally cleaned of the wax - a yearly re-apply is one thing, but total re-do another...

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

take it outside and hose it down inside and out. you won't hurt it

10. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Whatever you do, don’t wear it. The smoke smell will get on your inner clothing. And don’t hang it in a closet. The smoke smell will mix with the other clothing. These coats are just to be talked about. Why would you buy a coat that smelled?

If the smoke is in the fabric and wax applied over it...good luck.

11. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Yes they do smell. After time you will not notice it but it still smells. I believe it is the oil they use to make it waterproof. When I got my new coat I would hang it on a hook behind my office door. The maintenance man came in to my office and told me not to worry they would change the ballasts in the lights that evening. I did not know what he was talking about. After they changed the ballasts I realized he smelled the odor from my Barbour coat. I still smile when I think of it. jack melitsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barbour odor removal

barbour smell

barbour smell from smoke
get smell out of barbour jacket
how to remove smell from barbour jacket
how to stop wax jackets from smelling
why does my barbour jacket smell bad
why foes my wax jacket smell