1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Accidents Just Happen

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Carrying the topic on employee safety over from the thread on Remington being fined by OSHA. Seems a lot of people still don't get it - so let's discuss the underlying issue for all of it.....workplace injury and property damage. "hey, it was an accident.....Just one of those things - "stuff happens" "guess it was his time"... and on and on and on. Do accidents just happen?

Rich

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

well, i'm certain they're not planned

3. yakimaman

Well, they're defined as an unplanned or unwanted event that results in injury or property damage - so you're right on that count. But how do they "just happen"?

4. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

another dumb and useless thread

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Then don't open the friken thing. LOL Another dumb and useless comment LOL

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Virtually all accidents in the workplace can be traced back a ways to events leading up to the event. But then again there is always someone with a tool that can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time also.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all accidents are bush's fault. And if you have an accident, you're racist.

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

There is some luck involved. Sometimes bad, sometimes good. When I think back to my younger (single) days and involvement with the fairer sex, I sometimes can't believe that I was as lucky as I was that an 'accident' (or worse) did not 'just happen'!

LA in MA

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Depends

Yes, use Depends if you have an accident. I see they now come in colors and for men and women. What a country!

Don Verna

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes accidents do just happen.

Now if you are really asking if accidents are beyond our control that is a different matter and the answer is no.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Wonder what yaki said in the post that started this thread, the one he deleted.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In a perfect world Yaki....

13. yakimaman

"Wonder what yaki said"

Just that I was carrying it over from the Remington OSHA fine thread. Accidents don't happen, they're caused - every single one. But that's just me talking shop -

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Accidents having causes, that's quite a revelation. And here I always thought that accidents were caused by dumb threads.

15. capulona

capulona TS Member

When my daughter was 6 years old, and having dinner in a local restaurant, she commented that the family behind us must be from France, because, she said, they had a "French Accident" (accent).

16. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

While accidents are supposed to be ACCIDENTS, I would guess that we could reduce the incidence of them to an insignificant level if we just removed one phrase from our lexicon............"hold my beer and watch this".

d

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes they do. Just ask Vince Foster he had one. Bulge.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Brings to mind an old friend of mine many years ago was always having accident . Car comes off the Jack and 2 of us had to lift it off his chest . Crew was topping off high tension poles and he was hit on his hard hat with a 4 ft piece of pole causing 50+ stitches , Broken neck , broken back , broken leg and more . Lifting a unit heater on a scaffold using a rope over the truss and the rope broke leaving him with a 14 in gash down leg . These last 2 left him with severe loss of work and a lot of perminent damage , plus a few others before the last one took his life -- caught between a column and the vehicle when he tried to move it towards his work bench without getting into it and the door crushed him against the vehicle which was running and in drive and there was no one else in the garage at the time since he was then working a night job and they found him in the morning . Could say he was accident prown or they just happened to him ..

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Brain farts and /or booze applied to the task at hand,sprinkled with some "oh well,ive done this many times before".

20. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

No, they dont just happen

Some smart people in the submarine program ( I am NOT a submariner) many years ago came up with what they called the "switch theory". Thinking like an electrical circuit; when a number of switches line up an accident can take place. It is usually not just one thing that causes an accident. We applied this thinking to shipyard industrial safety with a fair amount of success.

Think about this simple example, a faulty safety on a shotgun:

1. The safety failed
    2.The gun was loaded
    3.the gun was pointed somewhere to hurt or damage someone or something

When one starts thinking about safety switches accidents can indeed be reduced.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.