1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do A shooters hate shooting with D shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Do good shooters hate being on squads that have more misses? Do they think that if the person before them misses that it is a jinx on them?

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have mixed emotions. I am currently a B class shooter but have carried a AA one year and will be classified as A next shoot. Now with all that said, I only shoot targets and no money so the risks are few to me. I think it is a comforting thing to shoot with people I know and am accustomed to their ways, calls, and rythm. We have a lot of fun together. I also like to shoot with new people to make new friends. This will bring less than experienced shooters to my squad and then I just have to suck it up and concentrate. I also think it is a help to the sport for experienced shooters to add a newcommer occasionally. I have heard too many times that shooters are snobs and you can't be accepted. This in part is a product of regular squads shooting together. We should remember that we were where they are once and some benevolent sould helped us! So I guess it's what you are in the game for, money and fame or friendship and fun. Either way is OK by me.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I was AA at one time and now shoot B scores mostly....as for handicap...well, lets not go there...and I always appreciate the guys that continue to shoot with me even though "lost" gets heard alot when I shoot....

Ron Burr

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As a former "AA/AAA" shooter who at one-time was a "D" shooter who was shunned by some better shooters, I enjoyed shooting with those whose ability isn't of the highest caliber. We all started out somewhere and all it takes is a little problem (especially a visual one like the one I am currently dealing with) to humble the best of us. The roles can be reversed ever so quickly.

Ed

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I enjoy shooting with any shooter as long as they don't have any disruptive habits. I have, on a few occasions, been on a one man squad and I really did not enjoy shooting with me.

Pat Ireland

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good point Pat. Last time I shot a one man squad I managed to shoot out of turn 2 times. LOL. Doesn't hurt my feelings to hear lost as long as it's not me they're talking about.

We all started as newbies at one time.

Dave

7. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Perhaps it was a dumb question. If an AA shooter really detests shooting with duffers, they probably would not admit it on a national forum.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Unless they want to leave the line and lose their targets, they have no choice and they know that going in unless they squad with friends so it really doesn't matter how they feel.

If you go into a competitive situation worried about what the people you're shooting with think of you, you'll put an unrealistic pressure on yourself to shoot to make them happy rather than shooting to satisfy yourself. Don't waste energy worrying about what other people think about you.

I don't like shooting with snobs... but I would never post that on a public forum.

MK

9. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Oh no Brent they would say it anywhere!! Trap Shooters are rarely at a loss for words! I probably feel worse than my squad mates do when I miss I feel as if I'm letting them down!!

10. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have to agree with Pat. Shooting alone really sucks, but shooting with others that have bad or destructive habits is a killer. I have been shooting on a league team for the past three years, and it is a back breaker. A father and son on our squad can go through the most idiotic over dramatic acts before they shoot and kill a lot of time and screw up the timing of the other three shooters. Yeh, then why do I shoot with them, one of the youth shooters is really coming along and will be a great shooter if he sticks with it. They shoot in the AIM portion of the State Shoot this weekend and I encouraged the one to get on a different squad and hopefully he will shoot his best without the destractions of the other.

11. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I shot a 96 in caps one day at the MD state shoot, i think the next highest score was a 89, for every Lost i heard it made me more determined to break the next bird. In the shoot off that night i ran a 25, when the other guy started missing i knew i had it won. joe

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I think it's a good question. I don't care who I shoot with as long as they don't disrupt the rythem of the squad, and keep their mouth shut during shooting. If you want to talk, shoot skeet. In my experience when I sometime get on a squad with solid AA shooters my scores seem to go up. Could care less if the person next to me shoots a 60 or 100. He paid for the targets, he can do what ever he or she wants to do with them. Most Trap shooters like to look for excuses for the reason they missed targets. All they have to do is look into the mirror.

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Most of the better shooters have their own squads,so they don't encounter this very often.

14. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

To specifically answer your question, I think more A shooters would have a problem with D shooters than say AA or AAA shooters would.

I make that statement as the AAA and AA shooters are much more consistent and don't let distractions get to them on the line. A shooters, being less consistent, will find ways to let distractions get to them and thus would tend to dislike shooting with lower class (by average!!) shooters.

That would be my opinion.

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I am a C/D shooter and well I dont have a problem shooting with a shooters lol! The Mrs is an A shooter! I have to agree with the others I too hate shooting with those who are disruptively slow or seem to have more then their share of mishaps or malfuntions.

Other then that I can relate.

Also tho I seem to see mostly at ATA shoots the A shooters are separated from the D shooters by only a few birds!!!

Jerry Lewis

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

When I'm not shooting with my squad I've had shooters ask me if they are disrupting my shooting, and I always tell them to shoot at their own pace, you will not disrupt me, in fact it's good for my concentration. If your slower than I'm used to, than I will just wait until I hear your gun report and mount my gun and shoot.This is a simple game, life is too short, enjoy it while you can, and make new friends along the way.....

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I bounce back and forth between AA and A in singles. I like shooting with anyone when it comes to practice, league, etc. That being said, I will admit to being a bit more careful about who I shoot with at registered shoots. I prefer to squad with shooters that have a good rhythm and cadence about them, regardless of their class. I try to squad with shooters I know and am aware of. I will always try to squad away from any shooter shooting an automatic, regardless of his/her class. It's just one of those very few things that is a hard and fast rule I have made for myself that I try to follow at all times. If that makes me a snob, so be it. "Hi, my name is Dan, and I'm a snob"....lol. I will, however, go out of my way to help a new, or inexperienced shooter in any way I can whenever possible.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

AHHHHH...... The old reason I missed is looking at me in the mirror talk! Well... I will be the odd man out and I will tell you what I have heard many shooters say as well as what I have seen many shooters do.

At the squad window. the lovely squad lady says" Well.. You could be on squad 22 they have post 4 open or squd 38 as they have post 4 open they both are filled with the exception of Post 4" it is at this point the a/AA shooter will look not only at what class but also just who the shooters are. If one squad is all d and c class shooters with 1 b class guy and the other is all A/ AA. That shooter will pick the AA squad.

It's true that the reason for a miss is always rests on the shoulders of the shooter! Tell us another truism MR. OBVIOUS!!!

This does not change the fact that a squad with a good smooth rhythm is easier to shoot a good score on. then a squad that is missing a target once per 5 targets pulled. What goes along with a missed target and the AVERAGE newer shooter? Head shaking, empty tossing, muttering ETC ETC This is all added bullshit that as a squad member I would choose to not have to deal with if I have the choice! I have shot on plenty of great c/d class squads. Guys who were c/d class average shooters and were shooters with good line habits. they just don't have the eyes [perhaps, the right gun, impact, shell combo to do well.

It could be a million reasons why a shooter either is now/ or has always been a lower average shooter. It doesn't mean that it won't be a good squad but the CHANCES of it being a squad that has MORE distractions then a squad of AA/A shooters is more.

Does it mean that A/AA does not have it's share of guys with odd routines or that respond poorly to a missed target to the point that it distracts the squad? Of course not!

It's about putting yourself in ther best place to be successful. some guys will see it as snobbery and others guys will understand it for what it is. I currently shoot A class and my average is B class/ maybe Class? Maybe D CLASS!!! I have shot so few targets in the last 5 years It would not sunrise me if I was to shoot D class average.

That said..... Being on both sides of the coin both when my average was good, as well as when i was just learning and now to the place where I don't shoot and god only knows which Jeff would show up at the first trap of the day. ..... I say this because even with no practice and not having fired at a target this year I am capable of shooting a 98 or 99. I know because I have done it before after a very long lay off.

I would find a good squad of Class shooters. Veterans of C class that have all the good habits of good trap shooters. They just don't shoot a high average for whatever reason. That is who I will shoot with.

Because I don't want to be the guy on an A class/AA class squad who missed 15 targets and F%&@S up the whole squad rhythm as even though it's up to us the other guys don't appreciate having to view all those lost targets.

All of AA/A class shooters? NO, not all! Just the ones that take the sport very seriously.

Here in the west the shoots are often small enough that you know of or by reputation most of the guys who are squaded up and the squad people don't force you to shoot in certain place. As a result many guys will not shoot on certain squads for certain reasons. This is often why the squad has an opening in the first place! Most serious trapshooters either pre-squad so they get the squad number they want or squad as a group so they can shoot together. When I know I have no chance of winning since I have not shot in almost a year I am not very choosey but If I have a good average and may have a shot I don't want to be on a squad that will have many more misses then one in which people of my average are on.

It's easier to shoot good scores on good squads. Show me a AAA/AA 27 yard shooter that doesn't agree with that statement and I will show you a rare individual indeed.

I shoot D-Class doubles. Last time I shot doubles I shot in front of DARO HANDY. I was on 5 and he was on Post #1 as he always is on post#1. I shot in the very low 80's and he shot 97 or 98. After the shoot he ribbed me by saying " I don't feel to bad about my 98 considering IU had to shoot behind you!
    This was ribbing from a friend and coach who asked me to shoot with them because they were on a short squad. I told him in advance how bad i was. He said it didn't matter to him. I know Daro as well as anybody and at the Grand or a Bigger shoot he would have been shooting on a AA squad. Even Daro knows that the miss resides with him but don't you think for a minute he would squad with a bunch of d class shooters unless there was very little on the line.

That said.... I would be glad to shoot on any squad that won't treat me poorly when I miss a bunch of birds. Just the same as I wouldn't be rude to a squad mate that did a bunch of missing. I guess to me the whole thing just depends on the day for me and where I am at in my trapshooting career. I will say that as individuals I have had more fun shooting with squads of lower average as they do not take things as seriously and tend to be a fun bunch of guys who are there to have a good time. The new shooter is always welcome and will be taken aside at the end of the trap or even between posts if he is acting in a manner that is inconsistent with being a good sport or if they are displaying behavior that is distracting or harmful to THEIR SCORE! New shooters have to learn all the little tricks that help you to focus, let the missed target go, and then break the next one. This is how you become a better shooter and move up in average if you have no issues with vision, nerves, or a poor gun/load/choke. combination.

That is the truth as I have seen it, lived it, and heard many other shooters speak of it.

agree or disagree Jeff

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A good squadder will try to put like classed shooters together whenever possible. Being an imperfect world, that doesn't always happen. The problem with mixing the lower classes with the more advanced shooters is that it generally breaks up anything resembling squad rythm. Whether that has a negative effect on the scores or not, it does make the event less enjoyable.

Most folks will try and make the best of it if they only have to deal with it for for one event or so.

20. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

TWO DOGS,

You have spoken like a true Champion. I remember the time I first met you and Terry Jordan while shooting on your squad...I had a terrible flinch and after the two hundred, I appologized to the both of you if I caused you to miss a target. You both then talked to Judy and me for over two hours and got me into a release and practice using it on the chart...Thank you both to this day !!!

We all remember how we started out, and it wasn't in AAA class...most of us C or D, so nothing pleases me more than to shoot with a lower classified shooter on occasion..makes me feel like I may learn something in the concentration game...

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.