1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DLP TV'S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rodbuster, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have a 50" Samsung DLP model HL-P5085W. I think I got it back in the fall of 2004. It is on all the time (probably 8 to 12 hours per day) The picture is great. I compared it to plasma tv's when I was shopping, and for the money I could't beat it. I have however had to replace the bulb recently. The new bulb was about $150.00, and my wife changed it. If you are going to buy one I would avoid Circuit City like the plague. All the did was give me the run-around, lie to me and waste my time. Good luck with your purchase. Rodbuster.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am a big DLP fan as well. I went with a 62" Mitsubishi two years ago this July when I needed to buy a large screen. Very happy with the picture quality. I have a 65" Diamond Mitsubishi rear projection that is probably 5 years old, so based on my results with it decided on that brand.

I wanted a larger screen for another room (and different house), and saw a 61" Samsung. I have been VERY happy with this set so far. It is either the difference between Charter and Comcast's ability to deliver signal, or the Samsung just has a better picture. Not sure, but with the price of big screens dropping, I would explore all the offerings available to you, including plasma.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Bought a 46" Samsung DLP about 6 mos. ago and couldn't be happier. I ended up buying at Circuit City. I just haggled with them like I was buying a car. It was a pain in the prosterior, but I ended up with the set for 1200.00.

Brett D.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

So, would all you electronic genius' tell us dummys what the hell DLP stands for and why?

5. black lab

black lab TS Member

Digital Light Picture

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i got a Sony HD and love it.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Digital Light Processing

Have had one for two years. So far so good.

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Digital Light Processing

Have had one for two years. So far so good.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

With regards to the projection TVs, does the picutre quality go down if you're viewing from one side or the other. The ones I've looked at, had the picure darken as I moved to the side more. The best picure viewing was directly in front of the set.

Doug

10. southpark

southpark TS Member

It may be time to consider front projection.

We watch tv on a 144" WIDE screen. It is, in two words, FREAKING AWESOME!

Costco seems like a great place to buy tv's these days.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... we are far past the 13" black & white with built in fm radio tuner and the beta vcr I still use aint we!

12. DJM

DJM Active Member

42" Samsung DLP purchased Dec of 05 went on the blink 2 months ago just off the 1 year warranty. The repair shop has had it for 2 months. Initial estimate was $600 repair charge, $400 for parts, $200 labor. 3 different parts replaced later and it still does not work, waiting for #4 at this time. Repair shop was recommended by a man in the business. This repairman is telling me he sees this scenario played out often, repair bills this high or higher. The "engine" is mechanical and that usually is the trouble spot. And he also tells me that there is not a straight forward troubleshooting method. So he consults with Samsung and they replace the part it is the best guess of the problem source. As I remember the extended warranty was about $400 on this unit, now I see why.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I put up a DLP ceiling projector unit nearly 2 years ago using a 16x9 100+" Dalite Cinema Screen - with custom cable and all under $3K. The grandkids flip out watching Harry Potter & Pirates of the Carribean. Driven, Private Ryan/Blackhawk Down or Ben Hur can make the system rock!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.