1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Truck Organizer - $50

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by spitter, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Some of my fellow members have commented on the truck organizer I built for my Ford Explorer. For $50 in material, it will hold a few cases of shells and a shotgun case as well as all my shooting accessories for a day at the range. Cases just slide in and out, shells are on a small slider within left bay.

Closed, I can carry groceries, my grandkids stuff, yard materials etc... without having to remove the equipment. Cases and shells can be swapped in and out and the whole organizer can easily be rearranged to meet your needs. With the hatch closed and the darker windows, you can't see anything.

Materials -

(1) 4x8 1/2" plywood sheet

(1) 1x6x8

(1) 2x6x8

(1) inexpensive trunk replacement carpet

plus, screws, contact cement and a few finishing nails, built with hand tools over a weekend... let me know if I can help?!

spitter_2008_03036.jpg

spitter_2008_03037.jpg

spitter_2008_03038.jpg

regards all,

Jay

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Looks pretty sweet.

Jerbear

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Curious as to why not a drawer in the middle so you can load all sorts of crap on top and still get to the good stuff? Good job, I do like it.

4. spitter

Regarding the drawer... to be honest, it came down to my capabilities and cost and I had also had to consider the "tipping" effect... if the weight on the drawer was such, I didn't want to all of sudden see my gear flying out the hatch! Then with a drawer, I started thinking "good quality slides", "extra weight", "material", "latch on an incline"... all of sudden the work and $$$ started adding up... (lol)

On the left bay, I have a piece of carpeted hardboard that acts as a sliding drawer of sorts - the unfinished side slides easily on the carpeted bottom... back edge has a block screwed onto it to grab the lower back of the shell cases as its being pulled forward.

If I want to slide in another shotgun case, I can remove the "slider" or leave it. Although not mentioned, I used a piece of piano-type hinge for the top door and a hinged support to keep it raised (all included in my costs).

Thanks for the kind words!

Jay Spitz

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'd like to do that for my Land Cruiser, but the fly in the ointment is that few rifles are takedown, unlike shotguns.

6. spitter

BIO...

That still leaves all your shotguns and handguns... plus ammo, supplies and equipment and for $50, how do you beat that for a DIY project?!

Jay

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Very nice Jay!

That Rem. box in the left compartment looks familiar.

8. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

What a great piece of equipment for anyone's shoot-mobile!! Very, very, nice.......Uncle Sam, Pa.

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Very cool. Nice work.

10. model50lover

model50lover TS Member

I like IT! very nice for 50 bucks..........

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Jay, really a nice looking and functional unit.

12. spitter

Shannon... you should know!

Gentlemen... thanks for looking. If anyone has any questions on the particulars, send me an email...

kind regards,

Jay

13. spitter

up for any DIY's in our group...

regards all,

Jay

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jay,
    Nice job.

I have looked at doing something similar after seeing what a Truckvault goes for.

Don Verna

15. spitter

Don:

Exactly! Thank you very much...

There is an outfit in Indiana that manufactures a plastic unit for a couple hundred bucks, but that was still more than I wanted to spend and its plastic...

I simply measured the inside dimension between the wheel wells and the depth from the back of the seats to the inside of the door and shaved a fraction off...

Measured the width of my gun cases and a typical 12 gauge case of shells (added a couple inches to the widest measurement) to figure out the bay dimensions... 6" nominal lumber worked perfect for the height... whatever width was left after setting the inner 2x6s, determined the middle area width... the door lays on 1/2 of each 2x6...

Before screwing down the top piece of 1/2" plywood to the 1x6s and 2x6s, I did the carpeting of the inside areas and the underside of the door. After I screwed down the plywood, I attached the carpeted door with a hinge and then carpeted over the entire exterior... drilled a hole in the door for a finger to open and used a plastic grommet to finish...

2 good days over a weekend and... Voila!

There is no reason, with a small crossover, RAV or CRV, why one could not improvise and reorient a gun case bay sideways, with storage behind or on one side only... we're only limited by our imagination...

regards all,

Jay

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice setup.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I built one like this for my jeep. But, I installed two sliding drawers. If you build one with the drawers be sure and bolt the box to the floor as it will tip when the drawers are extended. I also used carpet on the outside and some felt glued in the drawers

18. spitter

S410... post a picture!

Thanks for sharing, good tip on securing the box...

Jay

19. capvan

capvan Active Member

I know there's someone out there that could make up some simple plans on some sort of CAD unit, or whatever they call those things. I have someone that can make it, but all I hear is "I need plans". He won't even work from pictures. I know, but he's all I've got. On building jobs, I'm the guy they send for coffee all the time. I'd pay for a nice set of plans....

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have built several like this.
    320090t_2008_03035.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

diy truck organizer

gentlemen truck organizer