1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Palm Swell - Kneadatite

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The saga of tricking out my son's PFS is now at an end.

The factory PFS had been upgraded with the ultimate fit comb and I found an old style grip that is much longer than the new model and fits my son's hand much better.

The only thing we needed to do was add a palm swell as the old style grip was fairly thin in the hand.

I finally found the PERFECT solution to making a satisfactory, foolproof (read idiot proof) DIY palm swell. One of the shooters at our club had made his own palm swell for a PFS and we talked to him about it and it turned out he had posted a thread on the same subject - his name is Stephen Bray and the product he used was kneadatite (available at hobby and model stores). His palm swell looked like a very professional job so I thought we would give it a go. googled the stuff and found it at several stores so for $15.00 and a few days waiting we had kneadatite delivered in the daily mail.

The stuff is SO EASY to use I couldn't believe it. I have one of those cheesy sticky back palm swell's taped to my BT99 so I used the dimensions of that to get an idea for how much kneadatite to use. About 6 inches of the putty was about right as it turns out (it comes in a long stip). Just knead the stuff in your hands and the two halves blend together and change from blue/yellow to green. the kneading time was only a few minutes and the stuff gets really sticky - it won't stick to your hands but it's pretty tacky. As soon as it turns green it's ready to apply to the grip surface. I rolled it into a ball and then roughly shaped out the triangle shape I wanted to mimic. Placed it lightly on the grip and let my son mount the gun to make sure we got it in the right place - repositioned it and had him apply pressure for a minute.

Took the gun down, smoothed the edges of the kneadatite with a wet hand and removed any excess material then did another fitting.

Perfect fit and his hand is now in the correct attitude on the grip and won't slide up. we're done - no more monkeying around with his gun fit. time to go make some holes in the sky.

I tell you - this stuff is WAY easier than bondo or any other type of epoxy product.

The BT gets the treatment next.

2. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Just a question for you guys. Once you "stick" this stuff on your stocks, does it then dry and become permanant? Has anyone ever tried to remove this stuff after it's dried? Looks like a really cool and handy material. Thanks. Garrett

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Nice procedure/material. Looks like what Dennis DeVault is doing in wood. I wonder if he uses the same stuff in his model before going to the wood.

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Mightyputty looks like it might work well and maybe a little more economical?

5. WWB

WWB Member

xxxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to make diy palm swell

how to mold palm swell on pfs