1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Earplugs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I was in WalMart and saw these DIY molded earplug kits for $11. Anybody try them - do you need another person to actually make it workable? Any tips to make it work better?

Thanks for any feedback,

Jay

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Yes, I tried some but the ones I got were by mail order.

I needed two kits because I wasted the first one by not working fast enough...the goo set up before I could get the second plug completely molded.

Once I got the knack of it I was able to mold a pair of passable-looking plugs but they looked better than they worked. Having to push the compound into the ear stretches the ear canal a bit. After the plug is set up and removed, it is just slightly larger the the ear canal so that the ear canal pushes it loose as you wear it.

I wasn't impressed but then I've not been impressed with the molded-in-place plugs I've bought at major shoots either. I'm sticking with the foam throw-aways.

Morgan

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Probably better off with the cheap foam ones anyway.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had mine made by a young local guy who was about to reloacate. That made me think that it might be a good side business (like I need another side business) to get involved with. Between all the shoots in Pennsylvania and my association with sprint car racing, I think it could work for me. I inquired with the company he represented and it costs $1,000 for your first materials and supplies order (subsequent ones are less costly), $35 is the going rate locally for a pair and each pair costs less than $6 to make. I forget how many you are supposed to able to make with your initial material order, but it was a decent number.

I'm still thinking...

Ed

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

cigarette butts work well for me , but they are hard to come by since i quit smoking january 6th, but i sure can breath better.

Bill

6. furface

furface Member

I have made two pair. they don"t seal very well. I go to Norco (the welding people) and buy the individual packed pairs of disposable ones for about 11 cents. They are 29 rated and work the best for me. I hope this helps, good luck. Joe

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Thanks for the feedback... it appears if I want molded plugs, go to someone who knows what they're doing or stick with the foamies!

Thanks for responding,

Jay

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

just bought a kit from wally world tonight, followed instructions as written and they work as well and possible around -5 db more reduction than cheap foams i compared them too,i would recommend them..is there something better..always

bill

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Foam plugs are better than nothing but I believe you need more protection than that.

A friend with hearing jproblems recently spend $300 + because he wanted to save what he had left.

don't take it for granted.

HM

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

ok, how old is the friend? what was is working career? if around loud noise was hearing protection required? and did he wear it,seems like to many variables to say foam ear plugs are better than nothing to me. was it caused all by shotgun noise?

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.