1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dixie Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

This will be the first time I am going down to the Dixie Grand, and I had some questions. It will be me and my dad so should we pre-squad or will there be plenty of spots open on squads? Also is the program out yet, and where would the best place to buy shells be?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

There will be positions open. The only advantage of pre squadding is to avoid a long line. The club sells shells at a fair price (fair is a relative term). The Dixie is a great shoot. The only problem is that there are too many great places to eat and you will only be able to eat one dinner each night.

Pat Ireland

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd suggest Ballyhoos, Carrabas or City Fish for dinner. All are great. Oh by the way I heard there'll be a trap shoot at Silver Dollar also. LOL

Enjoy.

Dave

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ah yes the Dixie Grand!!

FRedmon

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

i agree with Pat. Bring shells if possible but mostly bring plenty of food money.
    Oh yeah by the way the Dixie Grand is my favorite of all shoots for the whole year!
    Rooferbob

6. hoov

hoov Member

Pat; Any problem getting squads at the southern grand,or do you suggest we pre-squad?

7. Damifino

Damifino Member

T-99,
    The restaurant selection around here has diminished a bit since the downturn but its still great.

For Steaks:<br>
    Cody's Roadhouse (throw the peanut shells on the floor). Its on US19 between Tarpon Springs and Palm Harbor (about 6-8 miles from the club). Not expensive and good food.<br>
    If you want to celebrate and spend some $$ go to Charley's Steakhouse in Tampa.
    If you want to spend some $$$$$ go to Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa - Can't tell you much about Bern's, It's not in my budget.

For seafood there are a number of great choices:<br>
    In Tarpon Springs at the end of the sponge docks and then go past the end (kind of out-of-the-way) try Rusy Belly's. It's good food straight from the boat.<br>
    Also in Tarpon is Snookers (on Alt 19). Great food and tiki bar, try the loaded nachos.<br>
    Also in Tarpon Spring is Paul's Shrimp house for a great fried shrimp platter.<br>
    One of my favorites is The Thirsty Marlin in Ozona (about 10 miles, near the Gulf). They have everything from Seafood to Steaks to Burgers. Try their Jubuliya (sp?).

For very good inexpensive Mexican try La Hacienda, there is one on US 19 and on Sheldon Rd, both near the club.

For Sports Bar/Grills:<br>
    Courthouse Grill on Race Track Road (about 3 miles).<br>
    The Varsity on East Lake Road (about 4-5 miles).

Somewhere different to take the wives:<br>
    The Melting Pot Fondue Restaurant(about 4-5 miles) Bring friends.<br>
    If you have the appetite for Brazillian Style go to Boizao in Tampa. They give you a puck with green on one side and red on the other. They'll keep bringing you different cuts of meats until you turn the puck over to red. Don't waste your appetite on the salad bar or the early meats. They bring out the fillet and good stuff after you're full. A bit pricey but excellent and fun.

If you want a good NY deli sandwich try The Lucky Dill (also in Ozona, about 10 miles). Go for the mile high pastrami on rye. Everything there comes with dessert.

For the best Italian go to Maggiano's (in Tampa, Westshore, off Kennedy). A bit pricey but GREAT food.

For a great burger there is Five Guys just off of Race Track Road (3-4 miles).

8. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I would love to meet everyone while down there. Mr. Ireland I'm from Maryland and looked for you at the Virginia State Shoot this year but missed you. I'd like to meet you all. And thank you all for the information. Does anyone know if the program is out yet?

9. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

The program is on the ATA site--Just go to the Silver Dollar page and click the link to the program on the right side of the page where the registered shoots are listed.

10. Joen

Joen Member

I looked on the Silver Dollar web page and I only see the program for 2008 not 2009 I'm I missing it?

11. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Hope to see you all there.

Rick

12. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

You are right. Next year's program is not posted yet. I apologize for my error.

13. geeber

geeber Member

You can find the 2010 shoot schedule on the Silver Doller site at
    silverdollertrap.com, a really nice site.
    best regards,
    Gary B

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You can't miss Pat he is the only guy shooting a "purple gun".

See you there.

Don

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don makes fun of my gun-- it is not purple. My gun is very high grade and highly figured red paint. When I am not on the line shooting or picking lemons, grapefruit, and oranges (with permission) from trees on the grounds, I will be helping with classification. Did you know that a ripe lemon is as large as an orange and is not yellow?

Damifino posted some nice restaurants but he left out the very best. The Greek food in Tarpon Springs is great and can be found in no other area I have visited. I can get good sea food lots of places but Greek food is limited to Tarpon Springs. I would list a couple of great Greek restaurants but I can not come close to spelling them correctly.

Pat Ireland

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, If you traveled north I would treat you to a meal at Ithaki's, a fine local eatery. Greek's do know how to cook. Shoot often while we can, Bob

17. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I was wondering what you guys think, should we mail the guns down before we go or trust the airlines with them?

18. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Find someone else who is driving to take your guns for you!

19. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Pat Ireland - Dixie Grand 2008

He broke that target!

FRedmon

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardoz- It did get down as low as 55 one day last year. At those low temperatures, I have to wear a lot of clothing. You are right, I was close to being off the line. It will not happen this year.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.