1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dixie Grand Where to Stay

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Hey I've been talked into shooting at the Dixie Grand this year not alot of arm twisting there but its more of a money thing with me than anything else. What I am having trouble finding is Hotel or Motels close to the shoot I've looked on the internet and most are in Tampa and I can find none in Odessa. I've only shot here in NY so I have no Idea what Odessa looks like. Anyone have a recomendation or two would be appreciated. Thanks

Martin Milano

2. blacklab

blacklab Member

we go to the fl. state shoot every year. when there we found the knights inn on rt. 19 in palm harbor to be the best value. they give a shooters rate. the delux room - king bed, couch, microwave and frig. was about $70/nite. we have stayed at other places but find this to be the best for the money.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

From my personal experience - SG the last 5 years and the DG 1 time . . .

It's a pretty bad spot to find a decent motel at a decent price. I've stayed at the Red Roof Inn on 19 and also the Knight's Inn on 19. Both were OK, but just barely. It really depends on what you consider decent.

I don't like staying on 19 just because of all the traffic. Last year for the SG I stayed at a HI Express just north of the Tampa Airport. It was about the same drive to the club but from the opposite side and there was zero traffic each day. It cost more but in my opinion it was worth it. I've got a pretty low tolerance for dirty, noisy hotel rooms.

One year I went with a couple of people and we rented a condo on the beach pretty far south of the club. It was a nice place and was only a little more expensive than a hotel but we had a kitchen and a very nice pool. The only drawback was it was a lot further away.

Scott

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Last year for the Southern Grand I stayed at the Tarpon Springs Days Inn. 12 miles to Silver Dollar. Clean,Wi-Fi, free breakfast and I believe about $70 per night. A lot of decent resturants around also. Best palce is motor home at Silver Dollar. Good luck.

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Holiday Inn Oldsmar Fla. 20 minutes South of club! Cleanest place around

6. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

If you are from NY just stay with Ray Lee.

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

If you stay in the hotels near the airport by Westshore area they are all nice and only 20-25 minutes from the club with excellent restraunts everywhere. When you get to the club ask for Buddy Walters I will help with the best places to eat and visit if you bring family.
    Buddy

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Last year for the Southern Grand I stayed at the Tarpon Springs Days Inn. 12 miles to Silver Dollar. Clean,Wi-Fi, free breakfast and I believe about $70 per night. A lot of decent resturants around also. Best palce is motor home at Silver Dollar. Good luck.

9. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Holiday Inn Oldsmar Fla. 20 minutes South of club! Cleanest place around

10. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

If you are from NY just stay with Ray Lee.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

If you stay in the hotels near the airport by Westshore area they are all nice and only 20-25 minutes from the club with excellent restraunts everywhere. When you get to the club ask for Buddy Walters I will help with the best places to eat and visit if you bring family.
    Buddy

12. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When you get here and your family need places to go (if they don't shoot)come see me in the club house. I'll have maps , tour books and attractions to go to.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Mike, what are the dates for the Feb and March shoots at the Silver Dollar?

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Thank you all very much. I'm most likely going to be going alone as my son would have to be pulled from school. I am from NY Origionally from Orange County and moved to Jefferson County NY in July 2006 where the fellas at Sacketts Harbor SC showed me trap shooting in May of 2007. I bought my very first shotgun this year a Browning 525 Sporting and went to my first ATA shoot at Toad Harbor R&GC where they talked me into post 1 not knowing anything I ended up carrying signing and having a fun time.I just love shotgunning. Most of the guns we see in Orange were 9mm and I don't think they were legal. Again thanks. Hopefully see you at the Dixie :).

Martin Milano

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.