1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dixie Grand or Southern Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapshooter-Mom, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter-Mom

Trapshooter-Mom TS Member

My son wants to shoot for All American next year and I was considering taking him to either the Dixie Grand or Southern Grand. Which is the better of the two shoots. We live in St Louis Missouri and would have to fly down so we can do only one of the two.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The Southern Grand has more shooters, and might carry a higher point factor. I suspect, though, that the competition is tougher, too. Since your son would have to win to get any points, you probably will want to evaluate/compare his ability against the ability of the other shooters in his category that might be shooting there. In other words, you have to make your best guess at his chances of winning at each, and then go for the highest point factor shoot where he thinks he could win.

Being from Missouri, I would think you would get some really good advice from Leo Harrison. I would talk with him.

3. cowsranchers

cowsranchers TS Member

Both are good shoots , Dont forget about the Heartland Grand up in Iowa this fall , last year was first year , great shoot . Chas E. Siler

4. nords

nords Member

My son shot in the Dixie last year and their was hardly any sub juniors and not a lot of juniors. I don't know about the Southern, but you also have the Florida St shoot which is a big shoot and last year the all Jr's shot FREE! Jan. and early Mar. are not always good weather. The later the better!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both fine shoots. The Dixie is a bit smaller than the Southern and this could mean less competition for points. I would think his school schedule would dictate which shoot would be better for him. I plan to be at both.

Pat Ireland

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Some years, the weather is better in March in Florida, January can be "iffy" weather.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

But some years the weather in January is warmer than March. You should get to wear shorts several days at either shoot. But, more important, the strawberries are just coming in In January and they might be in short supply. There are plenty of ripe oranges and lemons growing on the club grounds in both Jan. and Mar. The friendly Alligators that are swimming around the club seem to smile more in March than in January.

Pat Ireland

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

FlaLagarto- Unlike most of us, you travel North to get to Silver Dollar. I have to travel 13 hours South. We didn't get to visit much last year. This year, sit down with me at the classification table and fill me in on what is happening.

Pat Ireland

9. Redfish

Redfish Member

Pat, the gators are smilin' in March because that is the beginning of the mating season in Florida. Hopefully we will have a good strawberry season next year in Plant City to keep you Smilin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.