1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dixie Grand Motels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Browning, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I have finally decided to go to the Dixie Grand and would like to know the best area to get a motel. I am flying in and would also like to know the best place to buy shells. Thanks John Moore

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

John, not all that far north of the dollar are plenty of chain motels....I want to say I stayed at a perfectly adequate Best Western about 10 miles north....As for shells, I tried Walmart, they had crap, I just bought at the Silver Dollar, As I remember I shot some Handicap Kemens that had my collarbone bleeding by the second 25....you are forewarned....

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

John, The Silver Dollar Club sells shells on the premises with a good selection at competitive prices. There are lots of Hotels/Motels within reasonable driving distance.

I have listed the SD web site above. I'm sure that if contacted they would gladly help with questions you may have. Marc

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, Here you go strait from the Silver dollars nearby hotel list from one of there Dixie Grand from 2 years ago. Best Western Tahitian Resort. (800)528-1234, Holiday Inn Express (813) 854-5080, Knights Inn (800) 722-7220, Ramada Inn (727)849-855l, there are also 2 Econo Lodges nearby and Days Inn nearby as well. Most of these places are located on Route l9 which is about a 10-15 minute drive to the West of the club. Most are fine, but not fancy, as Route l9 is no longer a hot travel route with Interstate 75 taking most of the traffic away. Look for Hotels in Tarpon Springs like Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites in Tarpon Springs is (727) 934-578l.This last one is only one in Tarpon Springs "the others are at the top of there list" (in different cites) if that makes any difference. Hope this helps you out. Oh Yeh, Good Luck there and Break-em all. Jeff Plan on renting a car if you fly in as the resturants close to the Sponge Docks are great and also in Tarpon Springs as well. There are also places to the South and the North as said above. Last time I was there I stayed in Tarpon Springs and you will run out of time there before you run out of Restaraunts. You might just want to run out to one of the places selling Strawberries as well, if they have started the season Yet!!!

5. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Thanks for the info guys, I had already down loaded the program and was doing a fly over of the motels listed on Google Earth. I just wanted to see if there was any area to stay away from. I enjoyed the tip about shells,I limit myself to 3 dram shells. John

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try the hotels in Oldsmar first, very close to the club and you will avoid the traffic between the Dollar and Hwy 19/Tarpon Springs. Don't stay at the Tatian, last time we were there it was full of bugs and the guy next door was also the hotel cook (they serve a hot breakfast). He didn't cook on the weekends, so he drank and on Sat/Sun mornings he could be found passed out on the sidewalk in front of his door. We also stayed at the Knights Inn on Hwy 19 and had a homeless guy living in the bushes by the parking lot. We reported him and the motel ran him off. It's kind of confusing getting out of the airport, so be sure to read the signs carefully. See ya there...

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

What ever you do stay off of Hwy 19 period.

The Ramada Inn is a crap hole.

Tahitian Inn, crime scene tape everywhere, a guest was robbed and beaten in the parking lot just before we arrived.

Days Inn, was propositioned by a hooker in the parking lot before we could check in. (didn't check in, left)

As trapwife suggested try the hotels in the Oldsmar area. Much nicer area and
    better lodging options.

Good luck with the Jan. weather down there.

8. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Thanks again everyone, I booked into a small motel for a couple days and will sort out the rest when I get there. The weather here in Kansas is calling for a high of 6 before I leave, so the weather has to be warmer in Florida. John

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, I'm freezen my buns off down here. High today was 59 degress. Tomorrows low is 32 degress. Its been a long time since we had a low of 32 degress this far south (I can't remember when). Burrrrrr. But it sure beats a high of 6. Good Luck shoot-en now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.