1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diversity in our Ranks, Do you want it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

From time to time, there are the various threads which talk about the declining numbers in ATA shooting, but my observations are that casual recreational trap participation seems to edging up in recent years. While I see some new "white" faces, I see a real interest in the shooting sports from Blacks, Latinos and Asians (Indian, Pakastani, Japanese, Chinese and Korean). I would also have to guess that if the statistics hold true - folks with alternative sexual orientation (men and women) as a percentage, are probably interwoven amongst our daily users and club members.

How do you feel about that?! - shooting with new folks as well as reaching out to these relatively untapped population pools to resusitate declining Club membership, and prop up declining revenue streams? There is a lot of innuendo about various "folks", but are you/your club/range ready and/or willing to shoot with folks who are different?

Not meant to start any kind of "war of words", but I help run a public range, so I see a different clientele than many - just trying to weed through some of the rhetoric to gauge real sentiment.

Jay Spitz

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

Mr. Spitz,
    It may interest you to know.that any one that has paid the requried fee for
    membership, can shoot at any ATA event. That includes Black,Brown,White,
    whatever. Just so you will know we have "Diversity in our Ranks."

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham in S. Florida we welcome all shooters and potential shooters regardless of race, color, creed, sex, religion, sexual orientation and political persuasion. It has never been and will never be any thing we are concerned about.

Eric

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

On a somewhat lighter note, In order to achieve a better balance between male and female shooters, we have been trying to get the local "Hooters" restaurants to field a female trap team. Todate we have been unsuccessful but we have high hopes for success soon.

Eric

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Last I knew, everyone's money was green, and that's all that counts.

Now as to females with a........ah......a different sexual outlook on life, I think I can cure them.

Have them call me at BR-549. ;->

Hauxfan!

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Eric,
    GREAT idea. Do you all have a stripclub there too? Maybe there could be a competition with the hooters girls????

Forrest

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

Sure why not??? I've shot with a lot of differant races of people,,of every color,,of many differant beleives,,,even Democrats....They enjoy shooting,,,they travel to do it,,,and its obvious they have the same spirt as the rest of us,,they enjoy the competition!!!

AKA Grammie........

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A stripclub? We've got bunches of them over on Federal Highway. In fact that area is known as "The Federal Highway Dating Service" due to the number of young woman looking for "dates" along the road. I think if we can recruit them to learn the finer points of trap shooting, our shoot attendence would go straight up ;-))

Eric

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I think the point Jay was trying to make, or maybe the question he was asking, is along the lines of is everyone made to feel welcome, or is it just that public ranges or clubs have open usage/membership policies. There can be a significant difference in the two.

I am a shooter that didn't grow up in a family that owned firearms, so when I decided I wanted to learn/participate I had to walk into a club not knowing anyone. The question you have to ask is how receptive to new people is your facility/club and do you keep new shooters away because of the atmosphere of your facility/club.

Scott

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Scott,

Good point. The Markham Park facility is a public range operated by Broward Count Parks dept in S. Florida. As the resident club at the range we offer a free new shooters clinic once a month to anyone who wants to learn the basics of trap & skeet shooting. We provide the instruction via a certified NRA & ATA instructor that runs the clinic. The shooter has to buy a shoot ticket and bring their own shotgun and ammo. Average attendence is about 8-12 people that represent a real cross section of the public.

Eric

11. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

I am not a fan of "Diversity", you wanna shoot? Show up sober with gun, shells and money. Let`s shoot!! I may not invite you over to my RV after ward; but I won`t have a problem eating with you in the cafeteria.

12. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

So many of our relatives come from foreign countrys where the military are the police and not very sensitive to the local citizens at all. Yes, I want diversity among recreational shooters as it is one of the freedoms of being a U.S. citizen that we take for granted. However at most of the clubs I shoot at we have talented shooters but like myself, not very good as an instructor. Shot skeet with a group of Japanese tourists at a club in South Korea many years ago. Never got past station one it was so dangerous.Not understanding Japanese I think the manager joined me inside the clubhouse!

13. Msuhunter

Msuhunter Member

Everyone should be welcome.

Rules as follows
    1.Safety first
    2.Have fun
    3.Follow rules 1 and 2

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yes, this sport could use more diversity. As long as folks are willing and eager to follow established rules of range safety and trap etiquite they're welcome as far as I'm concerned.

John C. Saubak

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There's a difference?? Hopefully not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

John Saubak, you say this sport "could use more diversity"?? Please explain to us all why? How would it benefit Trapshooting directly?? because it would bring more shooters and potentially bigger pots? OK. because it would further shooting sports and more gun owners means a stronger resistance to the antis?? OK that would be another good answer. But diversity just "because"....sorry, the Indians don't really care if I start playing "Cricket", and my guess is that they are not thinking that the sport needs diversity, nor do the S. American care if I want to join the Sunday morning soccer league, I doubt that they are out looking to add some trapshooting white boys on the team, nor do I care if they want to shoot Trap, as someone else said, bring your checkbook, etiquette, and safety and they are welcome! But diversity for the sake of "diversity"?????? sounds like affirmative action to me....

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Frank C.

You answered you'r own question in the first three lines of you'r reply----------then you digressed.

We don't need "token" shooters, we need >MORE shooters. Just look down the firing line at the next Trapshoot you go to and What-da-ya see?? Nine out'a ten are middle aged white men. Now I ain't got nuthin' against "middle aged white men", fact is, I are one. It seems to me we could double our ranks, but not by adding more middle aged white men? I think we got about all of them we're gonna' get?

John C. Saubak

18. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Anyone can shoot. I'd appreciate it, personally, if the fellows of "alternate sexual orientation" didn't pat me on the butt, though.

I try to take folks as I meet them. Always glad to see a new shooter. I may decide I don't like them later on...but they'll get a hearty welcome from me. And that's regardless of creed, color or anything else.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jeese! I thought this was gonna be about guys with 870s and Mod12s verses the guys with Perazzis and Kreighoffs!

20. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

You wanna see diversity? Show up at North Jersey Clay Target Club any Sunday.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.