1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Disturbing article in Trap and Field

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Francis Marion, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

The article I am referring to was in Trap and Field two months ago. It was actually in the delegates section, and was written by Paul Shaw from Canada. As I understand it now, Mr Shaw is a lawyer, and he really opened my eyes. The report was about one whole page, ( quite big for a delegates report)and told of the nightmare it is to possess a gun in Canada.I knew it was bad, but holy ****.I sure hope the brain dead dopes in this country wake up, and soon.Between Fast and Furious, the Obamacare decision, or just watching the news on any given day, we are f****d.I fully realize I am (mostly)preaching to the choir here,but wake up America. The clock is ticking.We are losing freedom every day.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You just noticed???? That has been happening for a long time. Airports, stores and every where else.

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Paul is a credit to our sport, you can always count on him.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It is nearly impossible to get the collective ignorance of this country to see that all the gun control stuff that has taken place in other countries has failed miserably and violent crimes actually increased.

Basic health care in this country could be a good thing for everyone, but the way the current administration has gone about it is all wrong. I'm not quite sure what the answer is on this one, but obammy's isn't it for sure!

ss

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Gun control?

Since the 1968 Gun Cntrol Act which is about when I started shooting,
    I have seen the following: Concealed carry in nearly every state, which was once unheard of. Lifting of the prohibition against the assault rifle in nearly every state. Lifting of the ban on handgun ownership in virtually every state and city -especially in the city where I live -thanks to the Supreme Court. The biggest year in gun sales since the threat of the 1968 Gun Control Act had everybody scrambling to buy guns. There's an abundance of gun clubs everywhere in country (maybe more than today's economy can support) More gun stores, online gun stores, gun auctions, gun shows than ever. Very few people can't get get a gun legally. Anybody can get a gun illegally, as we have seen.

Sure we have had threats, and we've had some defeats. But look where we are now.]Doesn't mean we don't have to keep fighting to keep what we have, but so far we're clearly winning.

6. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Karla,
    I'm sure you and Leo know Paul well. I truly appreciated his candor and honesty on what is going on in his country.It was also very informative.A true wake up call to us all. PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE !

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Before the 1968 GCA Nobody cared about a "carry" permit because you DIDN"T NEED ONE! There WAS NO Assault weapons ban because no fool had classed a certain group of semi autos as "ASSAULT" weapons and most people with half a brain knew an ASSAULT weapon had to be full auto cabable! Remember full autos have been banned to the general public since 1934!!!! You could mail order guns(including pistols) from your house! Nobody thought anything about us carryig our guns to our high school in our cars because we often went hunting afterward! Nobody had to call the BATF(not even in existance then) and get "clearance" to buy a gun or go through a "waiting period"! Restrictive gun laws have been undermining the Seond Amendment contantly!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>* Concealed carry in nearly every state, which was once unheard of.</i>

Except that in the old days no one needed permission from the government to carry a concealed handgun for protection. Vermont style carry is the ultimate goal. We should not have to ask permission to exercise a right.

<i>* Lifting of the prohibition against the assault rifle in nearly every state.</i>

Can you name one state that overturned their "assault weapon" ban?

California continues to seek more restrictions.

The federal ban was not renewed. It was not overturned.

<i>*Lifting of the ban on handgun ownership in virtually every state and city -especially in the city where I live -thanks to the Supreme Court.</i>

You mean like the Sullivan Law in NYC that's still enforced? Or the New Jersey law that just got a law-abiding citizen a decade in the slammer? Or the hoops that Chicago and Wash DC keep coming up with because they don't like the ruling? The decision only went so far, and failed miserably to address the use of a handgun for self-defense OUTSIDE of the home.

<i>* The biggest year in gun sales since the threat of the 1968 Gun Control Act had everybody scrambling to buy guns. There's an abundance of gun clubs everywhere in country (maybe more than today's economy can support) More gun stores, online gun stores, gun auctions, gun shows than ever. Very few people can't get get a gun legally. Anybody can get a gun illegally, as we have seen.</i>

And why is that, you think? Because the gun banners have gone away? No, it's because people know that no matter who wins this fall there WILL be an anti-gunner in the White House, and are stocking up accordingly.

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering if it's 7.5's or 8's for 23 yard Handicap?
    The sky is FALLING!

blade819

10. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

The National Firearms Act of 1934 did not ban full autos, slide action,it just required registration.

11. Brian in Oregon

And the NRA's Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FPOA86) banned all future machinegun manufacture for the civilian market. The result was prices soared astronomically and they are pretty much unaffordable.

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The National Firearms Act of 1934 provides for the registration, and the taxing of the transfer, of a class of weapons described as NFA Title 2 weapons (sometimes referred to as "Class 3 weapons"). These include machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, silencers (also known as suppressors) and also a class of weapons known as "Any Other Weapon" (AOW). An example of an AOW is, but not limited to, a smooth barreled pistol or a short barreled combination gun.
    -- I didn't say the NFA of 1934 "COMPLETELY" banned ownership, only that it banned it to the "general public" I.E. open sales. It set in place as difficult and expensive liscensing system that few could afford in that time. Those that could, were considered suspect and, watched by law enforcement.It also opened the door for the special lisc. holder to be open to inspection at any time.--- In addition as Brian stated above, after 1986 NO newly manufactured full auto weapons could be sold to the public at all! This made the pre 1986 models cost MUCH more(when you could find them)!

13. Brian in Oregon

[​IMG]

This is an example of an AOW - Any Other Weapon. BATF considers a handgun to be literally that - a HAND gun, not a HANDS gun. Therefore, in order to put a forward vertical grip on a handgun, you have to obtain a tax stamp to make an AOW.

AOWs only cost a $5 tax stamp to transfer, but for an individual they cost a $200 tax stamp to make.

However, an SOT (Special Occupation Tax) manufacturer (a gun maker who can make suppressors, etc.) can make one without such cost. So I transferred my gun to the SOT, then filed the paperwork to get it back as an AOW. This only cost me $5 but half a year awaiting BATF approval. All so a legal vertical foregrip could be added.

This is an example of the hoops we have to jump through.

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Love 'em or hate 'em the NRA is always on guard and fighting further restrictions on gun ownership. It you're not a member, join!

15. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I met Paul several years ago in Hamilton, Ontario and became quite interested in his political testimonies, as well as the behind the scenes work he has done for shooters in his country.

One most striking testimony I read was, when before he testified before members of (I believe) the Canadian Parliament, he passed around ONLY the receiver of one of his shotguns for the members to observe. NOW get this...Several members handled it with kid gloves, and some even asked if this GUN was loaded. The exact thing that Paul had expected, and wanted to point out to those members, many had NO idea of what they were voting on.

I continue to have the utmost respect for Paul Shaw both on the field, and off. He is an outstanding man who not only represents his Country well, but all of us trap shooters also.

Thanks Steve for bringing up this article of his. And thanks to Paul for his enlightening articles about his Country, and what we should be aware of in ours.

Dave Monahan..SC & NY

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

pay attention people? is this a rallying battle cry? it all boils down to who gives in when the time comes to say "we aren't budging anymore and you can't make us." America has been under constant attack from politicians who are sworn in to up hold the US Constitution and then it is one of the first things they collectively attack. watch who you vote for!

17. dtrap

dtrap Member

We must support the 2nd amendment with our wallets !

18. hera200

hera200 Member

YES, canada DOES HAVE MORE THAN IT'S SHARE OF RIDICULOUS OWNERSHIP HOOPS AND RESTRICTIONS TO DEAL WITH AS WELL AS STORAGE LAWS AND THERE IS A CONSTANT AMOUNT OF WORK BEING DONE TO TRY TO OVERTURN OR MODIFY THEM. Of course, recently the registration of long guns was was overturned in parliament and this was a big step in the right direction. One thing that may not be known here in the US is that the license that every gun owner needs (P.A.L.), allows a Canadian to buy, sell or trade any legal long gun ANYWHERE in the country with any dealer or PRIVATE PARTY. Just pay your money and show your P.A.L. and walk away with your new gun onthe spot. Yes, the French province of Quebec is still fighting it but all of the others are on board so far. The fight may continue in the odd province where the Liberals now want to start their own Provincial registry (the feds are fighting this). We can never slow down in this fight and yes, our wallets do speak loudest.......BUD

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

keep up the fight

20. Trapazoid

Trapazoid TS Member

If obama is re-elected, he won't go through Congress to control guns. He and the clintons are going through the United Nations to control guns in our country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

paul shaw trap and field article on sparta

paul shaw trap field