1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Distance Target Broken-Part 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Thanks for the info in my other thread concerning the distance from the shooter the target is typically broken.

The discussion I was having with a group of guys was about how far out the target is when it was broken AND what choke should be used for that distance. We all agreed that the terms “Full, Mod, etc.” are meaningless and that a measured constriction is better but still varies wildly from gun to gun as far as pattern density is concerned.

The consensus from the earlier thread was that singles targets are broken at about 35 yards from the average shooter, maybe you're closer or maybe farther out depending on your quickness.

This is the 2nd part of question we came up with:

What percentage pattern density is best at your breaking distance? We are using the standard 30 inch circle as our guide. Would you want 100% of your pellets in the 30” circle at the break distance? 90%, 70%, less ???? Same goes for your handicap distance.

Thanks again,
    Mark

p.s. See what happens when a bunch of shooters are sitting around waiting for the rain to stop.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No specific answer is possible, since targets are broken by pellets, not percentages. Put another way, whatever combination puts sixty/seventy-plus pellets in the inner 10-inch circle at the distance you shoot (assuming that the pellets are big enough and fast enough to break a target with a single pellet almost all the time) will do fine if you are a good shot.

Neil

PS The terms full, modified, and so on are anything but meaningless, though they have taken on new meanings since first defined.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Neil,

I've picked up enuf' unbroken targets downrange to lead me to believe that there's no ATA legal pellet that's big enuf' and fast enuf' to break a target with a single pellet almost all the time. In my observation a target broken with less than four pellets is a lucky break.

John C. Saubak

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

The only target in trapshooting that doesn't need Full choke is the first shot of doubles.

...but the hot stove league can, of course, do whatever they want.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- Certainly you can find a few targets with holes and marks suggesting the target was hit with a few shot. But that will only tell you that some targets will not break when hit with 2-3 shot. There is no way to tell if a broken target was hit with only one shot. Where the shot hits the target would seem to be important. I don't recall ever seeing an unbroken target with holes in the rim.

Pat Ireland

6. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Mark,

This thread is why I shoot a .030 fixed choke gun. No worrying in the middle of a round about selecting the right tube after a couple light breaks. Now I know if I'm having light breaks it's ME not the choke.

I replied to your other thread about calculating the break distance. I then would shoot paper at that distance to compare tubes...I was making work out of it. Going old school has helped me Immensely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.