1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dissappointed with my Dryfire laser..suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I purchased the latest two head version of Dryfire from a fellow TS member, (thank you btw) and am for the most part very impressed with its capabilities. However, the one thing that is the machines akeelies heel is the laser pointer that inserts into the barrel. It is a flimsy plastic that when inserted you can change POI by just touching it. So what ultimately ends up happening is lost tartgets and you re-check POI and its slightly off. You then push it one way or the other with ease and chase around the POI.

It really needs some sort of more fixed attatchment to lock it in. Any ideas? If there is nothing better than this the reliablity of POI is nill which makes the machine nearly worthless.

2. Bosco

Bosco TS Member

Take a look at opticsbestbuy.com I purchased an aluminum 12 ga laser bore sight version that is very stable and very
    accurate. Bosco

3. Bosco

Bosco TS Member

Take a look at opticsbestbuy.com I purchased an aluminum 12 ga laser bore sight version that is very stable and very
    accurate. Bosco

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I just checked out their website and it looks like an interesting device. A bit too pricey for me to buy before I try. Any complaints with the device?

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

maybe a wrap or two of electical tape will tighten them up in the chamber/bore.

Randy

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I would contact Dryfire and see what they recommend. Surely you are not the only user that has had this problem. Perhaps Dryfire has a solution.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. cecritz

cecritz Member

Go to Dryfireusa.com
    on home page go to shop link enter and scroll down you will see they have a better insert that you tighten with a allen wrench it's the way to go

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Achilles?

9. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I do not have one but use the old standby of a 20 ga at the muzzle and 12 ga at the breach with the primers removed. Align on very distant target. Still not accurate. But that is not the point.

The only true way to find POI is to shoot the gun. This is because no laser will compensate for a curved barrel. Whether you put the laser in the breach or at the end of the barrel, it will not compensate if the barrel is ever so slightly curved.

I wish it was not the case.

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

We havr the squad version of Dry Fire. We can shoot 5 at a time. Our barrel inserts are metal and you secure then with a screwdriver and wrench. Call Bob at Dry Fire and see about getting these. Jake

11. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I do not have one but use the old standby of a 20 ga at the muzzle and 12 ga at the breach with the primers removed. Align on very distant target. Still not accurate. But that is not the point.

The only true way to find POI is to shoot the gun. This is because no laser will compensate for a curved barrel. Whether you put the laser in the breach or at the end of the barrel, it will not compensate if the barrel is ever so slightly curved.

I wish it was not the case.

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I seen the updated version on there site. 160 bux to fix it but it looks 100% better than the dime store device they originaly put out.

I really like the dryfire other than this problem. It has helped my son immensly. He is a 13 year old that just started shooting and it has helped him find where he was missing. He shot his first 80/100 at the state shoot last week. Its no record breaker by any means but you shoulda seen the smile on his face!

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Get the metal insert with the "O" rings. Your problem solved.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I agree, I traded for one here too. Had I known it used the flimsy plastic piece, I'd never had opted for it.

I now use a 12 gauge laser that goes into the chamber. I get them from NCSTAR cheap. In fact, I ordered several and got them in all calibers for rifles as well.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.