1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dismantler,Shell Cutter,Opinions-Good & Bad??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by THE UNLOADER, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE UNLOADER

THE UNLOADER Member

I am thinking of buying a tool to cut apart a bunch of bad reloads, I have never had one before. Any recommendations on a "Good" one???? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, S.L.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gary Bulley goes by the unloader on here makes a real nice looking one and it works better than it looks

3. dan2116

dan2116 Member

If you want a nice hand made wood tool the one that unloader sells is supposed to be a good one and I think it sells for $29.00. If you do not want to spend that kind of money go to Ace hardware , Lowes ,or most hardware stores and buy a PVC tubing cutter for less than $10.00. I have one and it works perfectly.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the pvc cutter is the way to go no blade to change and fast. If you want to just trim the end of shell pick up a bunch of used /shot -- wads and stick them in end of shell and cut through rick

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just got one from Gary Bulley it works great !!! used to use an utility knife.

Lou

6. cubancigar2000

I have said this before but here goes again - People whom reccommend the PVC cutter have most likely not tried the Unloader? I used to use the PVC cutter also, buy one and it will make a believer out of you. My wife whom had never opened a shell started with Garys unloader at the same time I started with a PVC cutter - we had 200 shells to do, she finished with 147 to my 53 and she spilled narry a drop. I spilled shot and powder several times. It is a few bucks more than the PVC cutter but you will be more than glad you did it

fvtrkyhntr thanked this.
  7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I have been using one for about two yrs. or so and would highly recommend one (the unloader). Easy on the fingers and while you're cutting everything is enclosed and safe. Much easier than the utility knife I used to use!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. rrose

rrose TS Member

Go with the unloader, it cuts into the case in the right spot so you do not have to pick plastic wads peaces out of the shot or powder. It is a great and handy tool for shooters to have.
    randy

9. bas

bas Member

I have one of Gary's and I thought it worked great!

10. cubancigar2000

the 200 shells were a collection fromback to the 1970's over 30 years worth for your info but I will consider the source and not worry about your rude comment

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought one from Shotgun Sports many, many years ago and it's just now failing. The original blade is finally wearing out and I can't get it out bacause the threads are stripped. It was never a thing of beauty but was functional.

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Gary Bully's contraption works wonderful, and he needs the money to buy my paper Federals. LOL BRGII

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

cubancigar200, Man! I thought I was the only guy who saved blooper loads that long! I agree, get Gary's tool. It works great and sure paid for it's self quick! I finally gt around to retriving the components from all of those old bad loads. Some old ones even had Herter's wads in them. Bet most on here never even SAW one of those!

14. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I bought one from Gary and have really enjoyed using it. I never have dud shells I just use it to practice when I might have one. LOL

Jerry Walker

15. philk

philk Member

I got one some years ago I think from Shotgun Sports to. Doesn`t really look all that nice but it works perfectly. Great item.

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Bought two from THE UNLOADER. A very fine product.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have owned and use both a PVC cutter and the "unloader".. After Katrina everyone gave me their wet and flooded shells.. I recovered over 2000 pounds of lead.. For a clean quick cut.. the unloader is unsurpassed.. you can save everything but the hull..and NOTHING gets damaged.. When you use a PVC cutter.. you will cut the wads.. AND some of the shot..AND.. you'll need to resharpen the blade on the cutter now and then.. It is very fast however..

I would tell anyone.. get the unloader and loose nothing as wads are expensive today..I doubt if anyone will ever disassemble the number of shells I took apart in a lifetime.. 10 to 20 flats a night for many many nights.. but 2000 pounds of shot for free... it was worth it.. All Good.. Mike

Sportshot thanked this.
  18. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I got one of Gary's "Unloaders" for my Birthday a few months ago.

I had several years worth of bad crimps, bloopers and garbage that collected over the last couple years.

IT WORKS PERFECT!!!!

I would probably use it less if I didn't try to get 10-12 loads out of my "Old Style" AA's and just start using the several thousand STS's I've been collecting. I just love those old red hulls!

SW

19. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I needed one last night!

FRedmon

20. GWirz

GWirz TS Member

thry this site their cheaper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.