1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Disintegrating Green Duster Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bobm, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobm

bobm TS Member

I was recently shooting reloads with Green Duster wads with the temperature at 30 F.

A squad mate saw debris coming from my barrel which landed on the trap house roof. The debris was a pedal from my Green Duster wad.

The area in front of the trap house was litered with fragments of the same color green wads (small and large pieces).

Not real happy with this situation.

bobm

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the wads came in contact with sun light? Plastic becomes brittle when exposed to sun light. HMB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I had the EXACT same problem w/ 28ga Dusters a couple years ago. They'd literally shread (I got to calling them "shreader wads" after a while. It wasn't even close to cold when I shot mine either. Mine came directly from Gander Mtn (Bought them right after Katrina when I couldn't get ANYTHING else due to the petroleum shortage) and were stored in my closest til loaded, so there is a good possibility they NEVER saw direct sunlight until they went screaming out of my barrel @ 1200fps.

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Break the bird?

Some guns and loads are pretty rough on wads.

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I just saw that this afternoon with a friend's NEW shells. Pieces of wad (like one petal) going maybe 5 feet. It happened at least 5 times that I saw. Believe he was shooting Estates or Winchester target loads. Didn't seem to affect the result, but not sure what his scores were.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

There are some really old threads about this from over a year ago. Cantact the company and they'll probably send you replacements. They are aware of the problem. I can imagine some bad wads just now made it out there through the supply chain.

Joe

7. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

A few years ago Micro Technologies had an issue with both Green Duster and Blue Duster wads. They were fracturing in cold weather causing "blooper" loads. They corrected the problem and replaced some of the wads.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call the manufacturer. They had some supply problems with the raw materials a few years ago. The wads would become brittle in cold weather and the over powder cups fractured and petals broke off. It's possible that you obtained some of the old stock, or that they are having the same problem again. They weren't interested in replacing the couple of cases I had on hand, so I hope you have better luck getting replacements. Get some good wads to use in cold weather and put these aside for summer weather.

If you are seeing something fall close by when a shooter is firing the Federal or Estate shells with the two piece wads, it's NORMAL! One part of the wad can fall around fifteen or twenty feet from the shooter.

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Thanks for the headsup. I only shoot 1oz loads using green duster wads. Never had that problem yet but will watch out for it. Used them yesterday at our 1st Continental match while it snowed and they worked perfectly after sitting in the cold all day.

10. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

I have found that age, more than anything else causes disentigration of wads.
    A friend gave me a bag of 500 of the old Remington pushin cushin wads. More than half of them sounded like bloopers when they fired. They broke targets OK, but would not have fired them on handicap. You can tell by crushing them in your hand before loading if they are brittle. Most wads are not stored where sun hits them with the possibility of time spend at the store. I believe its a matter of age more than anything else. After all, how do you know how long they have been lying around at the dealer?
    I do think, however, that manufacturers should package them in black bags just to be on the safe side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green duster wads what are they