1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dished Crimp Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I am currently load my practice rounds with the following recipe using a Ponsness Warren 800C:

Remington STS 12 gauge hull
    CCI209 Primer
    17.0 gr of 700X
    CB1100-12 Wad
    1oz #8 Shot

I have been experiencing dished crimps to the point where some of the shot is coming out. Not much, just the occasion pellet manages to squeeze out. I measured the actual shot being dropped and it is about 0.95-0.96 oz. Someone suggested to me that the powder may be partially causing the problem. They said that 700x is fairly dense compared to other powders and might not be filling the space under the wad. Could this make a big difference?

I am about to buy a new 8lb jug of powder and have no problem switching to something else if it will help. I am interested to try e3 as I've read some good things about it. Is e3 less dense than 700x? By the way, the loads with 700x shoot just fine. I shoot about the same scores with these loads as with factory 1 oz loads. Its just annoying that the crimp leaks lead.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Danny: Can't tell you about the density comparisons between selected powders. However, I have experienced this problem in the past. Usually the problem was solved by raising the starter crimp and maybe experimenting with raising the final crimp. Just try it a little at a time and experiment. I'm confident you can overcome this with minor adjustment on these 2 stations. Don't cost nothing to try, right? Ed

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Good advice by Ed.

You using a "H" bushing? Checking your powder drops with a scale?

I load on a MEC, but I have the guides from both Alliant and IMR/Hodgdon. No actual experience with e3, but if Alliant's bushing charts are right, e3 is only slightly denser than Red Dot. But my experience with Red Dot is that I need to go up 1 to 2 bushing sizes to get what I want.

Jason

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Danny: I forgot to mention; I load a 1 oz load using 17 grains of Red Dot, (or Promo) and a Downrange XL-1 or Downrange DRRT12 wad. (STS or Gun Club hull). When I switched from 1 1/8 oz loads to 1 oz loads I did have to "tweak" the crimp adjustment on my Hornady 366. (But not a lot). Experiment a little. Just adjust a little bit at a time and see if there is any improvement. Hey, do it on a rainy day. Something to do!! Good luck. Ed

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

you need more fill in the case. I was using Rxp 12 wads, 19 gr. green dot & 1 1/8 shot. Always dished, went to Fig 8 wad no problem. Years back people overcame this with a .125 filler wad. Try a 1 oz wad or a Federal wad. or a Purple PC. These wads are longer and will fill the case well with 700X

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If your machine dropped a little more shot the dished crimps would go away and you would break more targets. HMB

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you want a sweet 1 Oz load in thise STS/GC hulls try this,

1Oz #8, 17.2g Clays, Remington TGT12s wad (or clone), R209P primer.(your CCIs will do fine). You might spend a bit more with these components but you will make top quality ammo.

If you are looking for a powder that will work well in both 1 Oz and 1 1/8 handicap loads then try International Clays.

There are a gazillion wad/powder/shot combos out there so finding the perfect fit can be a bit elusive. 700x is a high density powder so the general rule of thumb is that you use a wad that is rated for about 1/8 oz less shot than what you intend to make. I do like 700x but prefer the Clays powders. Sometimes pricing and availability influence powder buying more than what you want.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

try a different (taller ) wad...

9. shootman

shootman TS Member

Try using the tgt 12 wad. Its made for 1oz or 11/8 loads and is a little taller wad . If that doesnt help go to a denser powder like Solo 1000 or Amer. Select. Ihad the same problem with Fed. hulls. Iwent to 19.0 gr.of solo with the 12so downrange wad and they crimp real nice

10. 3357

3357 Member

I use the same load with 2 exceptions, Winchester primer and 18 grains of red dot.My crimps match new shells. I do not know about the volume diffferance between 700x and red dot. As an after thought, are you using a lot of wad pressure? The gauge on my mec says I am using just shy of "30" pounds of wad pressure......

11. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

I use the DR xxl pink wad with promo powder abd I get nice crimps.

12. clayshooter100

clayshooter100 Member

danny youhave a good load i,ve loaded something close with no problems ,the first thing i would do is raise the wad seating ram , the second thing would make sure you don,t have more than 60thousands of crimp on the shells you have loaded already

13. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. The first thing I found was that my wad pressure was set to 60 lbs. I dropped this to 30 lbs per the P/W owners manual and that reduced the dishing considerably. They were still slightly dished, but not nearly as bad.

After using up my CB1100-12 wads, I bought some CB4100-12B 'Lightning' wads as suggested and they completely eliminated the issue. My crimps now are absolutely perfect. They almost look better than factory! The only problem with the CB4100 wads is that there is not nearly as much reloading data available for them as there is for the CB1100-12, especially with newer powder like e3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.