1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dish network vs cable ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

My local cable is going up to $62 a month for the basic deal. I am thinking of doing Verizons deal with phone, internet and a dish. This will make the dish cost about $25 a month. I don't need HBO just ESPN and the local channels. Does anyone have any positive or bad experience with a dish like with weather etc.? Thanks, Mike

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I added DirecTV from Verizon to our telephone package last summer but we didn't care for the programming and the picture quality as compared with the Comcast digital cable service we had, so I cancelled the DirecTV. We had a 30-day trial period and I fortunately had not terminated the Comcast service.

The DirecTV guys (two characters that looked like escapees from somewhere in an old Chrysler minivan) came back, showed me that my dish's angle was right because I had a 92% signal strength and told me that my picture problem was in my set. And we were missing two channels my wife enjoys that we could not get even at extra cost from DirecTV, so we only had the service a week or so.

By the way, they only want the receiver boxes back, so you're stuck with a dish on your roof and you have to reconnect your cable service yourself in the event that you cancel the service.

Ed

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My cable bill is $114 which includes internet but no movie channels ( I have all the sports channels. It sucks. I had dish tv for three years and want to go back. I had no adverse experience with it. All good. As far as the price, I dont think there is a lot of difference. The big thing I liked about the dish was the ability to dial into what ever city I wanted and see the local weather at any time. Their service was very good when I needed them. If you get a lot of snow, the dish can get covered and need broomed off?? The only real reason I dont go back is I would have to get a land line for internet

4. thespan

thespan TS Member

Mike,

I just recently switched back to cable from Dish Network, simply because, even the slightest adverse weather conditions knocked out our signal.

The techies messed with it, switched out the receiver boxes, blah, blah, blah!

No dice. Drizzle would cause my receiver to reboot. Any real weather was a certain loss of TV sometimes for a couple of days.

I still use H/S DSL for my internet, but went back to Comcast just for the TV connection.

And, BTW, the cable reception is terrific, and the options that are offered for free On Demand are excellent.

Take care,

Peter Greenspan

5. coyote_198

coyote_198 TS Member

I had Dish for five months, was over charged ever month for the last month four months. I called them and told them to come get it, they said mail it to us, I told them you installed you come get it, they tryed to charge my Credit card for the cost of the unit, Visa refused to pay. They told me they would turn me over to a collection agency, I got a hold of the local D.A. I never heard from Dish again. But the way would anybody like a Dish box.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I went from cable to DishTV and I would never want to go back.

I have a better picture and better sound. Plus I have better programming and more of it for less money.

As for the ice/snow/rain, etc I live in Iowa where it gets nasty, but I have only been affected by the weather less than an hour in over a years worth of service.

I was affected a lot more when I was hooked up to cable.

I'll take DishTV any day over cable.

My brother just had it done, and called to say "thank you" for telling him about it. He likes it much better too.

Hauxfan!

7. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Directv was the worst customer service I ever had and their subcontractors for installation were even worse as it took them 2 months to install the HD dish and receiver after 5 cancelled appointment. Peter

8. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Living in a rural section of IA we didn't have access to cable. When DirecTV first came available in '95 we jumped at the chance to have more programming than the "big four". Cost at that time was over $750 and you needed to install it yourself. After 7 years decided to go with Dish to see what they offered. Last Spring we decided to go back to DishTV for the programming. We've only had very minor problems with weather related outages. I agree with hill topper, mount the dish low so you can brush snow/ice off. In FL, we don't have icing problems but occasionly lose the signal when a thunderstorm drifts across. HarryC

9. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

I have Directv HD. Cost is $84.00 a month. The package includes Starz. Why Starz, well it has westerns and Gene Autrey and John Wayne in the 1930's is fun to watch. I have over 30 HD channels and 4 HD channels over the air. Dish network stinks. My sister has it and one trapshooting club has it. It is down most of the time. I live in the Scranton/W.B. area. I have had Directv since it came on, and HD 18 months.
    Bud

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

We've had Dish TV for 12 years in two locations. We've lost signal to super heavy rain, snow, or other weather perhaps 3 times and then only briefly. We've had to replace the original box once. Our antenna is mounted on the side of the home where it's accessible if necessary. We consider the service far better than any cable we've had in the past. We get locals and a plethora of choices for under $60. The dilemma of being forced to expand your chosen package by 10s or hundreds just to pick up one or two wanted channels is a PITA but I hear that complaint from any service....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I`ve had Dish TV for seven years, yes sometimes we lose it in heavy rains, but it returns quickly, no big deal. As for snow or ice on the dish, I spray it with pam cooking oil every fall and have no trouble all winter.

Tom R.

12. GRR

GRR TS Member

I've had Dish for 8 years, one bad remote called them, had a new one in two days great service. In heavy rain or heavy wet snow it will have a stoppage, but it doesn't last long. I have everything but HBO and SHOWTIME $66 per month including tax. They have added several channels over the past years wilh no increase in rates. NFL and Big Ten just lately. I am converting to HD soon, my neighbor has it and its the clearist thing to perfect I've seen. The only thing wrong with the NFL channel is the games.....Dumb ass Byrant Gumble he makes more mistakes in 2 minutes then his brother, and thats bad.

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

I've also had cable and then went to Direct. Very happy and won't be returing to the cable rip-off. Once advantage of satellite is that you can get service at another location: ranch house, vacation house, travel trailer, etc for just the $5 charge for another receiver. Try that with cable! Of course you have to buy the extra receiver and dish but those are easily available for a small amount used. I have 5 dishes which were all given to me, for instance. Just don't tell Dish Network that you will be using the extra receiver at a second location since they will want to charge you a second full fee. They don't know whether the receiver is at your house or across the country unless you're fool enough to tell them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.