1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discount shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Rio's....Estates....Fiocchi....Federal Top Guns....WalMart Dove loads.... or spend the $1 to $1.5 per box for AA's or STS's. Does it "really" make a difference?

Would it depend on whether you reload? What speed is minimum for singles, handicap/yardage?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The Reminton game loads at 1oz 1290fps have been great shell to shoot for me.
    In my area the price from game/gun club loads are 5.98 to 7.99 for the sts. I shot my best scores with Estates 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads @ 1145 fps. My 1st 50 and 75 straight came with reloads and home made shot. For ATA I use factory STS 1 1/8. But I now have a lot of confidence in my reloads so that may change.
    Sometimes a blind taste test is in order. Make a stew of shells in a shellbag, have someone load/unload your gun. try to guess what shell is what 7.5 or 8 1100 or 1200 or 1290 fps. Just because I know I have shot 80% of my worst scores with gun clubs, I lean away from them. When they are on sale and Im low on reloads I will case up. As far as minimum speed for 16s. My wife shot Win Feather light low noise low recoil shells when starting they where 980fps or so. She crushed targets when on them. When they became a special order item at supplier. I started reloading 1oz at 1125fps with clays. I have learned to like these loads at 16s I load 1oz at 1200fps for 21 yard line where I am now. I think I will go back to 1 1/8 when I get further back. most likly I will stay at 1200fps. I stopped tinking about ammo, I kept a log book of ammo used and scores, did no good! The federal 4 packs at walmart are a bit stout. For now I shoot what I can get my hands on for factory loads and reload for practice and non ATA shooting.

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Shoot the Estates and Federal Top Guns. Their the same shell made on a different day. 2 3/4 dram #8 for 16's, and either those or 3 dram Estates on short handicap. Their actually a pretty decent shell. I shot the 1oz 2 3/4 dram Estates most of the year on 16's and managed a 98.70+/- ave. I shoot my reloads on handicap.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Is there a maximum velocity that can or should be shot? Seems like the lowering the oz's, the higher the velocity keeps getting. International was shooting the 7/8 oz at the Olympics. Is there an optimum between the 1 oz and 1 1/8 and certain speed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.