1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discount shells with steel primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Dezenzo, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Dezenzo

Ron Dezenzo TS Member

Gentlemen:
    I sent one of my trap guns to one of the best known and respeted gunsmitthing companys in the country. A representive called me to discuss my repairs and associated costs.(I want the company to remain annonoymou) Any way he told me that the damage, and potential damage,done to the face of shotgun receivers is due to the use of steel primers that are harder than the receivers. This is a very real and documented problem. Cheap shells with steel primers are the culpret. He told me if you shoot AA's or STS's you will be OK.(soft brass primers are still used by them) Otherwise---look out and expect problems down the road, especially with high volume shooters.

Regards,
    Hack-N-Chip
    AKA Ron Dezenzo

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

How does the primer, if seated properly, contact the face of the reciever??

Bill

3. old george

old george TS Member

Most primers hve a steel case--if you don't believe it try picking them up witha magnet!!!!!!

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My K-80 has had over 1/4 million rounds fired through it, and almost all of them have been with discount hulls (Fed, cheap Remmy, Cheddite, Fiocchi, Rio/Kemen/Diana) reloaded with steel primers (Cheddite, Fiocchi, Rio, Nobel). When I DO see wear, which I don't yet, I will let you know.

The gun is just now getting broken in! The lever is still in the wood on the O/U bbl, and at the edge of the tang with the Unsingle. The breech face is as smooth as a babie's keister. LOL

What type of gun do you have?

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you have a gun that has softer steel than a primer cup you best scrap it rick

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Let's see, I manufacture cheap primers as cheap as I can. So, I call up my steel supplier and say " Send me some of your best, hardest steel that is harder than what they make shotgun receivers out of. I don't care what it costs because I'm saving so much on the stuff that goes pop, that I can use the best steel for the cup." ROFLMAO.

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

And the "BAIT" is in the water..........Roger

8. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

I think i would change gun smith!!!!!! All companies have used steel primers for as long as i can remember! Sounds to me like he is priming you for a large ripe off.

9. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

My 3200 has been repaired by Laib's because of the soft steel.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Hack-n-Chip, what was that saying that PT Barnum used to say and I think you was the one born on that minute?

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

May I add that, yes, I have found that EVERY manufacture of shotgun shells today, use steel primers. This is exactly why we pick up empty hulls with MAGNETS on our trap and skeet ranges. Only a very few empty hulls cannot be picked up this way and ALL those are from shells manufactured over 40 years ago.

I once saw a procedure on a done on a receiver, drilling out the area around the firing pin and replacing it with a special hardened steel to prevent the wear from reoccurring.

Only the bases on the premium shells are made of brass in today's world.

Mark

12. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I would worry about the firing fin with steel shot cups way before I'd worry about the receiver.

Jerry

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thats why a 3200 is a wall hanger and dust collector rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.