1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Disciplined for Shotgun Shells at School

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by magnumthunder, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

This country is going to hell!

2. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

A sad commentary to say the least. In 1995 I got a phone call from my son's school saying that he was facing expulsion because there were several EMPTY HULLS seen in the hatchback section of his car. It made no difference that he was a Junior All-American and that just 2 months earlier had won the Junior trophy in the Grand American Handicap at Vandalia.

The vice-principal handling the situation was very sympathetic supportive of his accomplishments and quickly put the situation to rest. The outcome was that since no gun or live shells were in the car, no disciplinary action could be taken for possessing useless "brass and plastic objects."

It was a close call. All parents must make sure that their shooter teens are super-vigilent in clearing our their guns and ammo before going to school. An innocent mistake could scar their record and cause problems for many years to come.

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

3. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

When I was in high school a few years back, I remember when deer season hit almost every truck in that parking lot had a shotgun and shells in it (by in it I mean in the truck not in the gun). Whether or not the principle new about it I don't know, but I do know no one got in trouble. I remember getting caught smoking at school and had a few loaded .22 shells in my pocket, they didn't care, a loaded shell is as harmless as the carpet without a gun. Both the principle, vice principal, and security officer were avid hunters, as well as at least half of the school board which probably made a difference. Schools today are a joke and I hope everyone knows it.

4. KenC

KenC Member

"It's all about being politically correct and non confrontational.. . make the kids feel good!! Who cares if they can live a productive life after graduation." So sad, but so true.

Last year, the Boulder High School, Boulder, CO. [you know what's coming don't you? ;>) ] did away with numerical class standings. This year they're doing away with the graduating Valedictorian, because the competition is always so close, within a few one hundredths of a point.

If Kim Peters went to Boulder HS with shells in her car she would had got the electric chair!

Ken Church

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

When I was in 7th grade we had to bring in something to show what our favorite hobby was. Kinda like the kids today with their "show and tell". This was in 1965.

My show and tell was my Dads 1943 IBM Carbine. The nun never even blinked. Spread an army blanket on her desk and field stripped that bugger right there.
    Told the class about the history of the rifle and how it worked. Told them about my Father in the 25th Div.(Tropic Lightning) and where he and that rifle were during WW2. If I remember, the Sister gave me a B because the presentation wasn't long enough. Not my fault my Dad didn't bring back a .50 MG. That would have been a long speech.

Move to about a month ago. My six year old Grandson came over with a paper from his school. It was a one page questionnaire about his Grandparents. I guess they wanted the kids to learn something about their "Grand" parents so they would get some idea of what life was like "long, long ago."

The questions were pretty simple. How old, what kind of job, where have you lived. Whats your favorite food, favorite color. Just innocent Grandchild, Grandfather stuff. This kid looks at me like I can do no wrong. My wife said it's that look they give you when you are telling them a story, the look of almost awe, thats the reason you don't kill them when they are 17 and they tell you to go screw yourself. You remember that look.

Anyway, the last question was, what is your Grandfathers favorite hobby. Now this kid has been writing every answer and really getting a kick out of doing this project. They even had a spot on the paper for a picture. I gave him the one with us on our first fishing trip. When we talked about going fishing the first time all he wanted to know was when are we going again.

You know the answer for favorite hobby was shooting. You would have thought I slapped him in the face. He put the pencil down and got this almost embarrassed look on his face. Now this kid was sitting on my knee and putting wads in the PW when he was three. He was a pretty good shot with the rubber band gun at the same age, so I know he likes to shoot and thinks shooting is pretty neat. I asked him why the look and told him to write shooting in the space on the paper. Then the lip started and the tears were just going to come when I gave him a hug and asked him what was wrong. I could tell he didn't want to disappoint me but something was up. He asked me if he could write fishing instead. Sure I told him but why not shooting.

He said that answer was "not appropriate." Hell, he probably didn't even know what appropriate meant. I had to know where that came from. I had a pretty good idea. Seems that when he was telling the teacher that his Grandfather liked to shoot guns for a hobby, the teacher told him THAT WAS NOT APPROPRIATE.

Screw the teacher, I felt bad for him. I told him fishing was just fine for an answer. My daughter is a lot like me. When she saw the teacher a few days later she informed her that my Grandson was going to learn to shoot as soon as he was big enough to hold the rifle his Grandfather had purchased for him. The teacher knew better than to tell my daughter that was not APPROPRIATE.

PC in the public schools, they do try and mold them young don't they?

Take a kid hunting, you will never have to hunt your kid.

AJ100

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Great commentary, AJ...and a sad one on the current state of affairs in our schools.
    I'm sure you've all heard about the grade school boy who was suspended for DRAWING A PICTURE OF A GUN?
    Not a picture of someone shooting someone else, just a crude sketch of a gun.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

And when I was a teenager, a friend of mine and I drove up to the local police academy (close by in Los Angeles) with a .22 Ruger 10/22 and a 9 mm Browning handgun in the car. We wanted to target shoot; the staff was most accomidating and let us use the range for a buck as I recall. Ah...try that today!!!

8. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

When I was in the fourth grade a class play required a hunt for the turkey. An 8th grader brought a 22 single shot, they pulled the bullets and filled the cases with soap for blanks. My oldest son took my Mec 600jr to high school, loaded shells for a speach demonstration. Times have changed and I am not sure it's for the better..................Roger

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have a question. The school spokes person said "our duties involve keeping students in a safe and secure environment," How do live shotgun shells without a method of firing constitute an unsafe and unsecured environment? Personally these shells inside of a locked vehicle is of no threat to anyone. Also if these shells were in the boxes how did the security people see the shells.

I feel that there is something missing in this story. If the school district doesn't change their stand the parents should take the district to court. If she has not broken the law she should have recourse that will protect her from the false character assignation. Just my opinion

Bob Lawless

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Typical liberal "mindless" feel good thinking. If I were the kids Dad, they would know for the rest of their lives they had an enemy. It's too bad this country has gone to the liberal dogs. magnumthunder pretty much said it all in a nut shell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.