1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Disappointed in New TV

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I got rid of my old 27" TV of 17 years and bought a new 37 inch flat screen. What a difference! Clearer picture but that is the only thing I like about it. The people have all gained 100 lbs, grown 6 to 8 inches wider (head included) and are only about five foot tall, plus much of the time the top half of their head is gone. Will I ever get used to it?

Woe is me!

Booger

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Try raising the television farther off the floor so your looking more up at the screen, that along with getting it higher from the floor will make everything and everyone look taller and also keep there heads from getting chopped off because of the height of the television from the floor.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have the same gripe with Widescreen TVs and computer monitors. You don't really see more of the picture widthwise - unless the actual broadcast is in Widescreen, the picture is stretched to fit the wider screen. But even when I've watched a Widescreen DVD on my laptop, which has a Widescreen monitor, I stil have the bars at the top and bottom.

I'll stick with the good old standard design for now.

Ed

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Since most programs are shown in the older square 4:3 ratio they will be stretched if your tv is set for 16:9 widescreen ratio. The problem is that most buyers of the newer flat panel widescreen tv's want everything to fill the screen and then complain about images looking squashed and yes even with a 16:9 show there will be black bars at the top and bottom.

Eric

5. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

You might also check to see if your tv settings show a ZOOM feature--it's easy to set it to this while trying to stretch the picture .If it's cutting off people's heads and not showing any crawlers across the screen it could be on zoom.

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Just bite the bullet and watch the 'FULL' mode for a while.

In a few days, you'll get used to it and it will actually look more normal than the 'normal' mode.

Get HD service. It's worth it and you'll actually get to use your new TV to it's complete potential.

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Your suggestions have helped a lot. I learned to use the ratio button to get the type of picture I want. Thanks, everyone!

Booger

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I love it when someone's "light" comes on. You know the one. You can always tell because they say, "duh".........

Us old folk are still learning.........lol lol

Hauxfan!

9. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

One more request, please. Is there a certain way to clean the screen on the flat TV, a specific type of rag, or spray? Thanks.

10. wylekiot

wylekiot TS Member

Hi Booger, Love that handle. Just bought a new 40" LCD, salesman said no window cleaner, just dust with a dry soft cloth. OK to use window cleaner on plasma screens, as they are glass. Thanks, Ken

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If you're looking at a new set make sure it's 1020p resolution especially if you're going to subscribe to HD service. 720p is good but 1020p is state of the art. FYI analog tv's are only around 420 lines of resolution.

One more item of interest, next year when all broadcast goes full digital, you'll only need a converter box if your analog tv uses a roof top or rabbit ears antenna. If you're hooked up to cable or sat service you don't have to worry.

Eric

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks Ken...Juno...Eric for the info.

Booger

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love my new Plasma 52 inch Vizio - there are three selections to change the picture to alleviate what you are experiencing

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

My LCD came with a cloth and instructions to clean ONLY with a damp cloth with water.....read your manual....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

disappointed with new samsung tv