1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dirty tactics at a gun club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There is a club in suburban Philadelphia that has its traps numbered from right to left rather than left to right. The further you go to left, the more the hill in front of the traps rises. When you get to the last trap, the background you look at beyond the top of the house is nothing but broken targets. You watch your target come out of the trap against the same color background. Shooter that are new to the club are usually assigned to that trap.

MK

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Please post the names of these clubs, so we know where not to shoot. HMB

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

How about a State Shoot that did not allow an out of state shooter to sign up? An older shooter I was talking with (does not use the internet) told me of his experiences. He has traveled to a number of states and made remarks on the variety of responses he got. Some were very welcoming and open, some didn't want to see him there, and one refused his entry. He's retired, shoots alot, and likes to travel.

JT

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

One club I like to shoot at loads a random white target here and there. If you are lucky enough to get one and break it, it is worth a box of shells.

J.F.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

He should have stopped after the 1st white bird and asked to see another and them ask them to change the birds. If not then make an issue of it right there in front of everybody.

Don

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I once travelled a few hours up to a shoot and was lucky enough to get in a shoot off. That person that I was competing with, who was a regular at that club, was put on trap 1, and I on trap 2. I was in my rookie year, and this person had been shooting for quite some time and had a distinctive advantage over me (it was her home club and she was experienced).

In addition to her ignoring several calls for the shootoff (she was right there) and her best girlfriend making it a point to ask me if I brought enough boxes of shells for a long shootoff, the trap help proceeded to set targets on trap 3 in the middle of the shootoff, complete with carrying the "T" out in between my trap and that one.

Of course, I stopped and asked them to cease setting targets while I was shooting off, but my "zone" was already de-zoned by then.

The lady had the nerve to come tell me that "Well, you get to shoot everywhere, and I only get to shoot at this club." Guess who I have seen at various shoots across the country, including the Grand, rolling in with her big RV?

I never went back to that club after that. BTW...that's the only shoot off that I ever lost. I've learned a lot since then.

7. kd185

kd185 Member

wow the more i read this thread the more i like my trap club

a new shooter shows up and theres 3 guys offeing to let them use the shot gun, loan them extra shells and coach them on how it all works and what works well, none of this bull shit that im reading about and have heard of in the past at some clubs

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was shooting at a weekend shoot at a local club. It was a crummy rainy day but i'm no fair weather shooter. The club uses laminted score sheets with grease pencils which i thought was brillant for scoring in that weather. I ended up shooting a 94 which wasn't by any means a winning score. I always listen to the scorer for losses and check his/her scores against what i know i shot. After the shoot i always check the posted scores as all do. They had me down as a 87. Now i said before , even my 94 wasn't gonna win my class. I went to the club manager and explained the scoring difference. At first he said shoots over its done. I said i just want the actual score i shot to be turned in to the ATA. He said whats the big deal, you'll get moved down maybe and then you can win. At this point i'm boiling and asked to see my score sheet. He informed me that they were all erased. After i gathered some other shooters from my squad and an older gentleman that was part of it joined the battle, the correction was made. Needless to say, i have not returned there. It was a principle type thing. I always thought scores were supposed to be kept for their records for a certain length of time. Matt

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why are you keeping the names of these clubs a secret? HMB

10. grntitan

Why keep it a secret? Well in my mind there are enough clubs closing. I don't want to cause a mass exodus out of another. I made my statement to them by not going back. I have other friends who still go. To each their own. I refuse to participate at a club where a new face is nothing to them. No need to club bash by naming names.jmho---Matt

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

We do not need to know any of the club names. Some of the above examples could be simple mistakes, some are clearly lack of understanding of the event (eg- post about refusing an entry, all of us should know the only reason that is ever done) and unfortunate but normal conduct by management (resetting birds during a shoot off). Is it at all possible the management changed from orange birds to white birds because it was getting dark and they wanted to help the shooter? Not telling the shooter was bad but the intentions of the management may have been good. Mistakes are made. Even rushing to judgment is often a mistake.

Pat Ireland

12. grntitan

Pat---what are the requirements of clubs or shoots as regards to keeping scores afterwards? Is there a set amount of time or can they just erase them?---Matt

13. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I would still like to see names of these clubs; it's not doing any of us favors by not naming unfriendly clubs...

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I've only been to it once. I don't remember the name of it, nor the town that it was in. Somewhere in northern PA. There are lots of clubs up there, though.

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

grntitan: "Pat---what are the requirements of clubs or shoots as regards to keeping scores afterwards? Is there a set amount of time or can they just erase them?---Matt"

ATA Rules, Section 3, E. KEEPING SHOOT RECORDS

"Shoot Management is required to keep the records from all registered
    shoots for at least one (1) year. This includes all shoot cashiering information (entry and options) and actual squadsheets that were used on the field."

16. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I can't say that I have ever seen such a thing. I run the 50 bird program at my club on the 1st 3rd and 5th Fridays of the month. We always throw the same color bird, the first squad had the right to ask that the each trap be re-set following the show bird. If they don't or once they are re-set if necessary, they are not touched again and everyone shoots the same target except for variations that wind or mother nature can produce.

If the people in charge at the club failed to do anything or appologize and provide a reason such as they had no other targets that were the same color, or it was a mistake by an inexperienced trapboy, seems like it was intentional.

John

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

No target.

Section 7,e9.

When a target whose color is markedly different from that of the others is thrown, and the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result must be scored.

18. grntitan

MTA Tom---Thanks!! Thats what i thought but never could find it. It doesn't matter now. Just one of those things that happened when i had first started. I'm still learning and always will be. Clubs should remember that new shooters are what keep their club going as much as their members.---Matt

19. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...cheaters come in all stripes & sizes. These are very good examples of how 'experienced' shooters game the participation to stack the odds towards favored participants. These are the very same ass wipes that piss and moan about experienced shooters (they are sometimes referred-to as 'sand baggers') that know how to hold off on a bad shot and take a legitimate FTF before calling for the next good bird:^) Hilarious.

Just keep shooting and watch the dirt (bags) get blown away with the wind!

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Recury, how do you know if you have never been back to that club if you can't remember the name of the club or the town it was located?

You don't work for the State Department do you?

I think we have a diplomat on this site. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.