1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dirty sandbaggers part two.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddbudd, Jun 24, 2013.

1. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I started the other thread more or less in jest because I don't either sandbagging or the big dogs eating cake and only leaving crumbs is nearly as big of a problem as one is led to believe on this forum.

Reading the responses got me to thinking about my own shooting.Here are examples of two years of my handicap shooting.

The first is from my third year of shooting. Out of 4300 handicap targets I had 15 scores in the 90s. I also had a low score of 52.

The second example is from 2009 the last year I've been at all satisfied with my shooting. Before the Pa. state shoot I had 6 handicap scores. They were 59,76,86,88,64,78. At the state shoot I had 6 scores in the 90s out of 8 trys with a high of 95.

Just by looking at the scores a lot of pepple would say I'm a sandbagger.
    They would be wrong. Anybody who really knows me knows I have never missed a target on purpose and never will. I am trying every bit as hard when I shoot in the 50s as when I shoot in the 90s.

I can't explain the wide swings in my scores. I have had that problem ever since I started. I've taken clinics with 3 different All Americans.

Being the care giver for my father before he passed away I was unable to shoot at all in the 2011 season. Since starting back I have registered 1500 singles and 1100 hadicap. I have not had a score in the 90s. Most of my scores are in the 60s and 70s. This past Sat. I shot at Bradford, Pa. Most of the targets I hit were centered and hit very hard. I still only ended up with 68 in singles and 77 from penalty 23.

It's getting to the point that I don't know how much more of this I can take. Sometimes I just want to sell every thing and find a new game.

Bud Edwards

2. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Reddbudd, shoot for yourself, look around and you will find folks that do the same and they will be happy to squad with you. Those that play with scores can set in their own private sandbox and play with themselves all they want...... The rest of us will do the best we can on our own each time we shoot......... Larry

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bud. I do the best I can too. We all do. you are not a sandbagger, nor am I when I post a 70s in handicap. Father time, older eyes, sore joints, not as strong as we once were, all take their toll on our scores. My averages were junk last year, but snuck in one reasonable singles score. I have yet to register a score this year. But I still shoot at the club and will venture forth to the ATA again this Friday at DelTone in St Cloud MN.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I learned a long time ago not to worry about any one else or their scores. When I first started shooting there was a guy shooting doubles in class E that shot a 96.

All I heard was that he was a sand bagger. Truth be told he did not play any of the money, and the next day the same guy ran a 76. Any time you win in competition you will shoot above your average.

Years ago, I had a hundred straight in singles at one of the gun clubs in my area. The classifier who I beat that day never forgot about my score and spread it around that I was a sand bagger.

I strongly believe there are shooters that may think they are sand baggers, but in fact just a handful have the shooting ability to shoot a great score on a given day and cash in when the time is right.

There are a lot of sour grapes out there.

Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

5. Ertz

Ertz Member

That is really well said Steve. I can on consecutive days shoot a 98 and 88 in Singles. Handicap is even worse. I finally got a 2 yard reduction last year and am at 19.5. Just watch, one day in the future I will shoot a 98 in the Caps and I will be labeled a sandbagger.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Bud wrote: "I can't explain the wide swings in my scores. I have had that problem ever since I started. I've taken clinics with 3 different All Americans."

I just wonder if one of those coaches was Phil Kiner and if he tested you for the dreaded problem of occasional not consistent crossfiring.

7. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

miketmx

The clinics I have taken are one with Harlan Campbell, one with Leo Harrison, and two with Kay Ohey. I shoot left handed and do have the of my right eye taking over. I have used magic dots, tape, XD solution, and optical filters. All of them have some good and some bad about them.

One of my biggest problems now is having my eyes coming back to the beads.

Bud