1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dirty Reloads ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by steevo, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steevo

steevo TS Member

H Gary. I am no expert in reloading, since I only did it for a few years with the same load for trap, but I found the different powders to be dirtier than others. For instance, I used Red Dot years ago, and it was very dirty. I even cleaned unburned powder residue from the barrel sometimes. In later years, I switched to Clays I think it was. I found it to be cleaner, but still not as clean as factory loads. Now, I dont reload at all, but friends tell me they all use Clays brand, and find it to be cleaner than some other powders. Good luck.

Steve

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Your load may not be developing enough pressure for the Green Dot powder to burn efficiently. Using a faster powder may alleviate some of unburned powder residue. Green Dot is a bit on the slow side for light 1oz loads. I use about 19.5 grains of Green Dot with the same components and don't have a powder residue problem. Anything less than about 18.5 to 19.0 grains seemed to be inconsistant and dirty. I have very little trouble with faster powders in light 1oz loads. Even Promo burns fairly clean if loaded to proper pressures. Clay Dot, Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Titewad, Titegroup, 700-X, WST, etc, might be something to consider for lighter 1oz loads. Green Dot, Unique, WSF, and some of the slightly slower powders work better with loads developing normal pressures. Your load should be developing somewhere around 8000PSI at 1150fps, if the Alliant data is accurate. Using a "Clone" of the WAA12SL might drop the pressures even lower and cause more of a problem for you.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Leakage from around the primer will deposit soot on the monobloc face, behind the breech and around the firing pins. Condition gets worse with each reload.

Mike

4. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Green Dot and Red Dot are dirty powders, period.

Your load isn't really what Green Dot is intended for (that sounds like a real slow and low pressure load) - GD is best in 1 1/8 handicap loads by the book. For one ounce loads going that slow you should be using Clay Dot or preferably Clays. All will leave residue, but Clays is cleaner - use fast powders for those light loads, save the GD and slow stuff for higher velocity handicap loads.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

i'm with quackshot......up your powder charge a tad and that should clean it up some so you get a more complete burn. that being said, my experience with red/green dot is the same as yours. lots of dirty hulls.
    i changed to clays and the difference was dramatic. now i'm back to promo and my hulls are not as "dirty" as before with red dot due to a slightly higher powder charge.

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Since starting to reload, I played with Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, and Clays. For my nickel, the best all around powder is 700X, but they all have their place.

Red Dot, Clays and 700X are "faster powders than GD, which I bought to duplicate Nitro 27 loads basically. Using 21 grains of GD with 1-1/8 of 7-1/2's makes a mighty hot load.

I bought the Clays to do 1 oz. loads, and find it to be a good powder, and pretty clean.

I am going to standardize on 700X for 1oz and 1-1/8 oz, since I have convinced myself that I don't need more than 1200 fps to break targets from the back fence finally.

I think a reasonable charge of Clays or 700X will make you happy with you lighter loads. Green Dot was made to soup up the loads, and there is not enough pressure for lighter loads to burn it all.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I will agree with Quackshot, I think the pressure is way too low. It takes a fair amount of pressure to get the hull to seal the chamber. Low pressure can result in blowback. I'm betting your hulls come out sooted up too, Another indication of poor chamber seal due to too low pressure. Get a load that will make about 9000 psi at the speed you want.

Jim

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X (17 grs.) with a 209A primer and 1 oz. of shot.....fast and soft....clean too!

Curt

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

No boubt adout it Quacker is de man. FD

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

"w/my reloads (18grs. Green Dot, Win. AA old style hulls, W 209 primers, Win wads, 1 oz #8's)"

According to Alliant's website, that load should be creating 8000 psi, and push the shot out the barrel at 1150 fps. You want a clean 1 oz load at 1150 fps, e3, Nitro 100, or Clays are probably going to be a better bet than Green Dot.

Michael

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not enuf' pressure. Try Red Dot instead.

John C. Saubak

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I love Green Dot for just about everything. I am even thinking about sprinkling some Green Dot on the next pizza I order--- but, for light one oz loads I would have to take a close look at e3 or American Select.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.