1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DIRTY POWDER COMPARISON

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Is gun powder dirtier now compared to to 60's 70's powder.I' using promo , but considering something cleaner. Going back to shooting my 1100 trap t soon. It just seems like back then my 1100 didn't look that dirty.
    Railroad

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Today's powders are usually "cleaner" than those made fourty or fifty years ago. You would probably notice the "dirt" more if you shoot more these days. I shoot an 1100 and use Promo, Green Dot, and a host of other "non-clean" powders and find no more fouling than the "clean" powders everyone talks about. I just load them to sufficient pressures to burn properly, using decent primers known for consistency and good ignition.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like E-3 in 1 oz loads in my 1100 and 11/87. Also, keep your pressure above 8000 #.

The old Red dot was a great powder but I had to clean the 1100 often. It was IMO dirty. I think that the new Red Dot is cleaner.

Ed Ward

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed, you are correct. Red Dot is now cleaner than it was in the past. About five years ago, Alliant figured out a way to add graphite to powder under water. This method uses much less graphite and results in a cleaner powder.

Pat Ireland

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Been shooting a long time, I have found the cleaning your firearm regularly with powder solvant and a good wire brush will over come that nasty old dirty powder.

Ronbo

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Question will soon be irrelevant because you will not be able to find or purchase the powder that you want, i.e. Red Dot, Green, Clays, International, etc. Also, no primers = no bang. Fred

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

We use to call Red Dot "Dirty Dot." Clay's is very clean but, try to buy it, at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.