1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

direct tv

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ok I finally had it with Charter. How Many of you Direct TV dish customers are happy with your service. I have been paying 170.00 for internet and all the cable channels including all movie channels. Looks like I can get the same thing from ATT and Direct for less than 100.00. Rant over, Bill

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bill: I have Directv and have no problems with them. I had ATT for my phone service and internet service. I opted to change to Verizon 4G wireless for my internet. BIG mistake. I have had nothing but problems with this system. As of now, Verizon is supposed to be be sending me a replacement device for my 4G wireless network. It really is a piece of $hit.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

We moved to "the country" (OK, it is 5 miles from the middle of downtown, but is technically the boonies in central California), and neither AT&T or Comcast service my new area. I went Direct TV, and love it. Great price compared to what I was being ripped off on cable, and I have all channels, including the NFL package that I really enjoyed.

Verizon 4G...sounds good on paper, but I have had service issues. Verizon tells me a new tower is going up and all will be well. I have had this service 4 months, and it was been really sporadic until two weeks ago. I suspect new tower went up, as it has been rock solid finally and fast...knock on wood.

So I feel your pain Esoxhunter, but I would stay on support until they confess to either overloading your area or they need another tower. It seems to have fixed me up.

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I had direct tv for about 5 years prior to moving onto a heavily wooded lot. I tried direct tv here and just couldn't get enough signal... Am stuck with cable and paying out the rear...

I know multiple people that are equally happy with ATT / U-verse. I can't get U-verse where I live and am still paying out the rear for cable.

5. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Just switched from Dish to Direct,wish I hadn't. It's just ok but after my contract is up I will probably switch. Most channels are buy something tv, have several the exact same at the same time. All of them have way too many commerdials then they have the balls to raise rates.They are already making millions from the advertisers, how many Geico commercials can you see in 1 hour?

6. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I have both Directv and Mediacom cable. I love Directv. Better picture, more channels, MORE SPORTS!!!! If I had to give up one would definately be cable.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had Dish -- I find Direct TV muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh better

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I have had Direct TV for over 13 years and have not regretted one minute of it. Especially since I NEED NFL Sunday Ticket.

We rarely lose service during a storm. When we finally went HD a year ago, the dish is now mounted on the roof and the signal the tech got is just incredible.

We have just the Choice extra programming (no movie channels) and pay about $65/mo. Sunday Ticket costs about $300/yr and they divvy that up over 6 months. In those months we pay about $115 plus pay-per-views we might purchase.

Tim

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Bill, you better check Directv rates again. I have the Total Package, all the movie channels and I pay $133/mth. That alone is more than you stated for tv and internet together. I have tried to get tv and internet cheaper but they all work out to the same. They gottcha.

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Agree that Direct does not have the movie selection we had with Dish for the same price. We switched becaquse we got reduced rate for 1 year then back to what we were paying dish. I know I'm getting old but the new comedy's and movies are just trash in my opinion. I buy a lot of old movie DVD's and really enjoy them(mostly westerns). Just my opinion.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have direct for 15yrs now. No better or worse than anyother. Most channels are shit. You get over 100 channels they tell you. Ya probably so but you end up watching about 5 to 10 at the very most. The rest is friggen info channels trying all day to sell you shit. But wait if you buy now you get twice the shit loaded on to you. Its not cheap when you look at what channels you watch most of the time. The movies today are crap. No storie to them just shootem up with a lot of loud noise and no sense to the movie. Maybe I'm getting old but like bluedevil says. I buy DVD's and watch the old moveis that have a storie. I hac cinemax for a few years and see the same old shit. Swithched ove to shotime for a while, then HBO. then movie channel. Same damn movies I was watching 15yrs ago. So I drop as many channels as I am allowed. Watch History, Discovery, Military, and a few of the similiar channels. But none of the prices of any of the services today is worth it. They just make it soumd like it is. Bill

12. warren

warren Member

I also have Direct Tv it's good in that when you have questions or problems they are right there and you talk to a real person and they do try to solve your problem, but the comments above about commercials are correct. I recently pruchased a Roku which connects my TV to my computer via WIFi. I highly recomend it There are a mulitude of free movies especially if you are an Amazon Prime member. Some cost a fee some do not. I had no idea there were so many programs and free movies available.

warren

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had dish for three years and wish I still had it. As with any dish it will get covered with snow and cease to get reception but a quick swish with a broom takes care of it. Great CS

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I remember when Satellite Dish first came out. Then T.V. was free, and they broadcast all the programs that you would watch now. They advertised that their service was commercial free. That was why you where paying for the service. Now you are paying four times as much and half is programming and half is commercials. Why is it we accepted that we pay to watch commercials that the advertisers are paying to broadcast. The problem is we accepted the monopoly of the T.V system and can't do a damn thing about it now.

I find the commercials are all broadcast at the same time. When a commercial comes on one channel, I try and change to a channel that is broadcasting a program. The problem is if the channels are owned by a few conglomerations they all advertise at the same time. Football games are absolutely rediculous. Go to a live game, and watch how much the players are just standing around on the field waiting for the T.V. time outs, to finish there commercials.

I know there is TEVO but then you have to pay extra again just so you can eliminate commercials. It's kind of like paying for phone service so that the phone companies can sell your number to solictors.

15. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Had dish, now Direct. I switched between them for a few years. Never want to see Dish again. Just plain 2nd rate crap. I hate paying for 15 preacher channels and 15 shopping networks, but such is the deal.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Moved to our current location about 3 months ago. Made the mistake of going with Comcast for CATV & ISP--total ripoff---they charge for installation on a prewired house---zero customer service--went to Dish much better customer service, 50% cheaper. Went with Centurylink for my ISP--no modem, no BS charges. I know I might lose TV on a really heavy downpour. Satellite is the way to go.

Phil Berkowitz

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,PrimeStar was first here,then Direct tv bought them out.I had Direct tv until a month ago,tried to get HD service,low and behold,tecnician took one look at trees surrounding me and told me No Way,apparently the HD signal is weaker than regular signal,said it wouldn't pucnch through like the original satellite signal I was getting.Well,Verizon had a deal going on,total bundle internet,phone and Tv for 99.99 a month.Haven't regretted the semi switch.Semi because I just suspended the Direct TV,which they allow you to do with NO charge for 6 months.Then I'll probably tell them I moved(not really) and have them put the Direct TV in my cabin in W.V...Fios hasn't been bad at all,and I'm looking forward towards TV in the Hills later by satellite.

Doug H.

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have Directv and I like it a lot. Good programming, good HD and DVR.

'Taint cheap. About $110/month for 4 receivers (1 HD), two with DVR.

Seldom lose signal but can happen in strong storms.

19. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

After paying through the nose for years, I called them up and said I had to drop some of my packages. I heard someone doing this same thing. And then I mentioned I might drop the HD ten dollar month service charge. Can you guess what they said.

OH well let me take a look hear for a minute. They ended up droping the HD service charge and lowered my packages by $30.00

While this is off topic, Give them a call and threaten to cancel and see what you get. If it does not work with one rep call back and get another one.

And Drictv is the best if you use all the sports and packages.

CM

20. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have Dish Network. Works ok for us, except when the wind blows over 35-40 mph. Lose the signal sometimes. We had Direct before, but their service was terrible here. Charlie Henderson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.