1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct Tv or Dish Network?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mis-some, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I am looking to add satilite tv to my motorhome next shooting season. Let me know which provider you have and any problems with the service. I have heard there is a RV package for short term service as I don't want it in the house.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've had Dish for almost 10 years. I wouldn't change for anything. Last year they came and updated all my receivers to the most modern DVR's, new satellite dish and new wires into the house. I didn't pay a dime for any of it(not sure how that works). I'm not saying Dish is "better" or "best", but they sure haven't given me any reason to change.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have Dish, some of my family has Direct. I would not have Direct, but it does have NFL ticket which is a big draw and has interenet access.

Dish recently bought BlockBuster and are working on a program to compete with Netflix. They also have a NHL ticket program.

Dish has kept prices with very little increaes over the 10 years, whereas Direct has a repuatation of having increases quite often. Everyonce in a while a program provider tells Dish they are going to have to pay more for the programing they carry, expecting Dish to pass on the increased cost to the subscribers. Dish will tell them NO!, and discontinues the programing, until the provider comes to its senses.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have Dish in my home but they will not install or repair any units in an RV so they tell me. Their Customer Support is good but you find yourself talking to a Peggy type in Sri Lanka?? occasionally.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I just switched in Jan. of this year to Dish network!!! I was with Direct TV for around 10 years or so. I think they have the best support and service and are #l in the consumer reports as well. But they are more expensive overall. They would not give me anything on a update for HD TV while Dish the HD tv and HD recorder are free or N/C. Also Direct TV had no sports, fishing, or hunting channels like Dish has. I get more football channels on Dish as well. But Dish network equipment may be more sensitive to the weather. It seems I lose the connection easier now on the Dish equipment than I did with Direct TV's equipment. But the older analog equip form Direct may be the reason as I am not comparing HD service with HD service. Just make sure you sign a contract that they can't raise the price on when you sign up. If you can't get out then they can't raise the prices every quarter until your contract is up. This would be what I'd look for. Good Luck and break em all. JEff

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have had Directv since they bought out Primestar and switched us over way back in the 90's. Went with their HD about 3 years ago. Directv is not cheap, but the quality is very good and the HD channels are always HD. I hear that is not so with Dish. Each company sets up their channels in package levels so you can get as much or little programming as you want to pay for. I get all the sports, outdoor, and hunting channels. Also included are some that I have no use for, Tennis channel for example.

Directv at the top level package is like a Cadillac. Dish at the top level is like a Buick, take your pick.

Rain fade with the HD dish is less than it was with the old receivers, but a big heavy rain still puts you out for a short spell.

I use our second receiver from the bedroom when we take the camper out and can get HD on the road as well. A bigger antenna (Slimline 3) is needed for HD but it is actually easier to aim by hand than the old 18 inch round dish. That said, you still must do your research on the angles and preset them to your location.

If you are looking at auto-aiming motorhome antennas be sure it is HD ready if you are ready for HD, some older units on the market are not.

7. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I called the cable co. and asked for service to be run to my RV. They hung up.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Mr. Flinch, don't they have wind up reels large enough for an RV?

ExFedEx, EchoStar is domiciled here in Littleton, CO and they have a huge complex with their customer support and tech people.

We lose our service less with Dish than we did with cable. Cable was always going out. You can buy heaters that on the "dish" and will keep ice and snow off the antenna, which is a big factor in signal loss as well as severe overcast and heavy rains, but those are always shortlived. Snow on the other hand, can be a problem.

The one thing I don't like about either is the service contracts you have to promise to abide to with upgrades in equipment and the package programming.

I am looking forward to pay for what you want, because I of all the channels I get, I watch about 25-35% of them and don't give a hoot about the rest, but I cannot get all the channels I want with a single program package and have to buy 2 to get everything I want.

9. setool

setool Member

dtv, period... simply the best/

m.s.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Never had Direct TV but I had Dish and loved it

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've had Direct, it seems forever. They have upgraded everything several times. no charge. Thunderstorms will shut it down. But, it reboots automatically as soon as the storm passes, and you loose nothing. They have some marketing gimmicks that will hustle you if you don't ask the right questions.

12. gaboy77

gaboy77 Member

I have had DirecTV since 1996. In 2001 I switched to Dish because DirecTV wanted to charge for upgraded equipment and I could go to Dish and get free equipment as a new customer. In 2004 I switched back to DirecTV and have it to this day. I will not go back to Dish. I experienced very poor customer service and they called it seems like once a week pushing specials/upgrades and it got really tiresome. The final straw was when I moved in 2004. Dish network missed 5 appointments to install the dish at my new house. I finally called and told them to cancel my account. DirecTV came the same day and set me up. Dish did not seem to care, the only time they acted like they cared was the day I called to cancel, and by then it was too late. They may have changed their ways since 2004 but I have been completely satisfied with DirecTV despite the slightly higher price. Just my $0.02.

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Do you still have to have a hard line phone to be able to subscribe to satellite tv?

14. RLC323

RLC323 Member

With Directv a wired home telephone line is no longer needed.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You don't have to have a land line to have Dish either. However, to use their "Video On Demand" feature as well as the "On Screen Caller ID" you need a phone line connected.

16. Jason B

Jason B Member

Don't have any personal experience with this (yet) but as an FYI...DISH just launched a "tailgater" option for RV's, auto-tuning and HD. Not certain how this compares financially with the Winegard options out there, will look into it next spring. I'm tired of spending way too much time manually pointing the satellite dish!

http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects/promotion/tailgater/default.aspx

17. Jason B

Jason B Member

Don't have any personal experience with this (yet) but as an FYI...DISH just launched a "tailgater" option for RV's, auto-tuning and HD. Not certain how this compares financially with the Winegard options out there, will look into it next spring. I'm tired of spending way too much time manually pointing the satellite dish!

18. Jason B

Jason B Member

19. arend003

arend003 Member

had dish some years ago and started to not be able to receive half of what I was paying for. After several months I finally switched to Direct don't really care for them but do get TV. All my equipment is out dated and all they will say is it will cost X for me to get newer equipment not for me.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I have DirecTV........quit working about the middle of August, the service guy is scheduled to come and fix it October 4th. I notice they still sent me a monthly bill tho'?

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.