1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dimpled Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Suggestions appreciated. I am making shot from wheelweights in one batch and reclaimed shot from another. I drip into 12 gallons of antifreeze with one quart of sun detergent mixed in. Coolant temp runs from 50 startup to 110 deg after about an hour. Shot drop is about 1/4 ot 3/8" and constant. The shot from each batch is round and shiny but has one small dimple. I am sure that it will not cause any pattern problems as I have shot far less consistant shot with good results I just want that blasted little dimple gone!

Don't tell me to use a different coolant. I am going to stay with antifreeze.

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Somebody will know how to fix it Jim. When we were makin g shot all we made were 8 1/2's and they were as good as as any. We used them for singles and practice and we never had a dimple. This suggests to me a problem with heat but I am not an expert.Jeff

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, I'm just sitting here wondering if you had this problem from the beginning??? That's a wide range of coolant temp. Is shot the same when cool as when hot??? Maybe you should check the dripper holes for build-up from repeated use. break-em all. Jeff

4. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i get them when i add fresh brake fluid,i was thinking moisture in coolant(i use used brake fluid because its free, tank holds 12 gallons),it does go away after running 100 lbs or so. i run a cooler on my system,and keep it as cool as possible,never gets over 70 deg..as far as anti freez im not too shure,could it be running too thin?could you have picked up water into it? i tumble my shot in a cement mixer under heat (150 degrees for 1/2 hr) and you wont see dimples.mark jones

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I get that lil dimple too as soon as I get my catch tank and cooler system the way I want it and weather temp is a lil warmer I will start to make more again. BUT for now I have bout 300pds of shot with some with that lil dimple, and they are breakin targets great when I get to shoot.

My Antifreeze is a lil watered down now because it was too thick when it was 20degrees I will by 8 new fresh gallons when temps come up and I am not too cold.

Jerry Lewis

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dimples are cute. HMB

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Figure out how to put a few rows of those dimples around the equator and you might be on to something....that design was outlawed for golfballs....they were too aeorodynamically superior.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Do you have the ability to adjust the heat or the angle of the lip on your unit? What size shot?

Ajax

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

They put dimples on golf balls for a reason, don't they. I bought a bunch like that, but it shot well. Steve j

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

When I have dimples, I usually blame it on the coolant temp(too cool), but I think the angle of the lip can have something to do with dimples.

plinker

I also use brake fluid as a coolant. The last batch I made was under very humid conditions. I usually work until the coolant gets about 115-125 degrees, but I wanted to finish out a bucket, so I kept going.

I believe it was the humidity(wet and rainy outside), but I was making some of the best looking shot ever! I kept watching the shot as the coolant became hotter(usually a sign of clusters of shot due to overheating), but the shot remained perfect.

The coolant reached 165 degrees(and was smoking) and was still making great shot when I finished the bucket. At one point, I was having trouble keeping ingots in the machine as they were turning into #71/2 shot from 14 drippers as quickly as I could load it! When I rinsed, dried and sorted this batch, I had less than a handful of "clinkers" do deal with and 249 pounds of shot!

The batch before this one was not nearly as nice, but, the humidity was way down then, and I had 35 pounds of clinkers and 135 pounds of shot......go figure!

Danny

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with dimples. I also use anti-freeze with some dish soap. It's a steward system and the lip is 3/8 over the coolant. I have found, as others have, the hotter the coolant the rounder the shot, and smaller the dimples. Maybe it's just the anti-freeze method. I even use a bucket heater to heat the coolant up before I start. The dimple problem has been ongoing, and I have not solved the issue, regardless of what I've tried.

12. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody! For a few contributors. 1-The dimples are the same from 50deg start up to about 110deg as hot as I have ever run. 2-Weather is in the 70's and sunny (come on down!)3-Antifreeze has no or very little water and is relatively new. I have run about 1200# of shot. 4-Machine is dead level so the lip is as it should be according to Mr Stewart 5-This set of nozzles are new. I just bought and installed a new set of double 7 1/2"s. Old 8's did the same thing. 6- I am going to try a more lengthy drop just to see what happens. The lip is no more than a 1/4" and I wonder if an additionar tyrn in the air might help. 7-I really like one note above. I have two beautiful daughters and three drop dead good looking grand daughters from 1 1/2 to 13 and DIMPLES ARE CUTE!!!!

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Hms = dimples. They are so minute after polished don't worry about it. I have posted pic in past of the best looking hms and yes it had dimples.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Jim,

It sounds like you need to lower the heat of the melt and/or increase the roll time on the lip. A shim(usually around 30thousands) under the front of the unit should do, you will have to adjust your tanks accordingly. If you increase the roll time to much the shot will start to look like a football.

The dimple comes from the quench and the pellet not being solidified enough before in hits the solution. The smaller the pellet the less problem.

I will add, Himark is right. Most of them are never notice after the tumbling. In the patterns I've run they don't seem to affect the percentage.

If they are really a bother, try what I suggested. I have to re-adjust my shotmaker when I run the larger shot. (Game players)

Hope this helps,

Ajax

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Get a used clean automobile radiator and a small pump and put the radiator above your tank and put a 90 Degree lower radiator hose on it so it dumps back into the tank and put a floor fan to blow through the radiator and pump the coolant with a 1/2 inch hose into the top of the radiator and it will keep the coolant cool, you can even get a late model radiator with a 12 volt fan already on it and hook it up to a battery with a recharger charging it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.