1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dimensional specs. for trap shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobm, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobm

bobm TS Member

I have a problem with crimps on a group of twice fired new design red AA shells. The center of the crimp does stay flat, but raises up in a cone shape.

During disassembly I normally require a needle nose pliers to pull the wad. On these shells the wads literally fell out.

Measuring the ID of the shells 1.7 inches up from the brass base I get the following dimensions.

Problem AA shells 0.755 inches.
    Remington STS shells 0.735 inches.

Squad members have mentioned to me of some weak sounding shells. This loose
    fit could account for my problem.

SAAMI lists manuals for sale on specs. but data.

Help.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The components may be the problem, bulky powder, too much shot, wrong wad, just a few things to look at, if using 1 1/8th oz shot bushing, shot charge is ok.
    wad pressure on seating the wad should be about 30+ pounds, the wad and a bulky powder would be the next thing to look at.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

What is the specific load yur dropping in these cases?

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And, the initial problem may be your crimp isn't deep enough? The best rule of thumb is that the crimp should resemble the thickness of a dime in depth. Check that....Bob Dodd

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hulls might have been fired originaly in a gun with a large chamber. HMB

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It would help if you would list the components you are using.

If your wad falls out of the hull you will have powder migration past the base when the wad is inserted and also may experience failure of the wad to seal properly when the shell is fired.

The center of the crimp rising up in a cone shape is almost always caused by the components (powder, wad, shot) occupying too much volume for the hull. Just because a load is listed in someone’s load data does not mean that it will crimp properly. You need to find a shorter wad or reduce the shot charge to obtain the proper crimp. You could try loading 1-1/16 ounces of shot to improve the crimp.

Jim Skeel

7. bobm

bobm TS Member

Components used in problem shells.

1 oz.load, pink AA 1 oz.wads, wad pressure 20 lbs. AA primers, 16.8 grains of Clays. Crimp depth is 0.50- .0.055 inches.

I have been using this recipe for years and loaded many thousand shells without a problem. This may be limited to one batch of shells.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Load a few shells using the Winchester orange 1 1/8 oz wad, should solve the problem. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.